"Sinatra: Best of the Best" CD to combine Capitol and Reprise recordings

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bob F, Sep 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member Thread Starter

Not necessarily from the album's sessions, Paul; just used on the cover. Could very well be from earlier sessions.

2. Tina_UK

Tina_UK Forum Resident

What is it that is attached to Franks' shirt collar on the original album but not (that I can see) on the new album cover of " Best" ?

3. rangerjohn

rangerjohn Forum Resident

A "collar bar." It holds the collar tightly around the tie knot.

Its more of a fashion accessory for ties than tie clips or tie bars, which have a "real" function (to keep one's tie from flopping around).

The Beatles wore them often circa 1964.

4. rangerjohn

Here's an example of a "collar bar" properly attached:

Attached Files:

5. Tina_UK

Tina_UK Forum Resident

Interesting, thanks for that, I learn something new everyday.

I've probably seen them before, I walk around with my eyes closed half of the time LOL!

6. Bob F

Boy, does that take me back! Shirts with collar bars. Not in fashion for a LONG time.

CBackley likes this.
  7. rangerjohn

My pleasure, Tina.

I can't believe that I beat Paul to a response. For some reason I imagine that he's worn a collar bar or two in his time. They're a perfect accompaniment to a dry martini. :)

8. rangerjohn

You too, Bob?!

9. Bob F

It's something I hadn't thought about in years, but my Dad, who was a very snappy dresser (not unlike Sinatra), used to wear them. There were various kinds, including pins and clip-ons, but the type I remember were "barbells" with one screw-on end. These were designed to pass through eyelets in the collars of shirts specifically designed for their use. When you loosened your tie and collar, you would leave the collar bar hanging from one end, such as seen in the Pickwick LP cover photo of FS.

10. rangerjohn

Exactly! I wore "barbells" with skinny ties circa '78 when I was trying to be "new wave" or "neo-mod." Like the guys in the band on the cover of Blondie's Parallel Lines.

11. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

Seattle '57 is nice but it's been out before.
    If SFE wants to do something special, they should issue the show from the Sporting Club in Monte-Carlo, Monaco on June 14, 1958. That would be special if it came out legit.

12. Ronald Sarbo

Ronald Sarbo Forum Resident

Wonder if Frank ever wore a....Mr. B collar?

13. Bob F

You're older than I thought, Ron.

14. Bob F

15. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

Well,my comment is better suited to a Sinatra thread.Pignone condenses the Norman Granz's Verve story. He makes it sound like MGM already owned Verve.The story I've heard is that Granz used Sinatra's interest in Verve to up the ante for MGM eventually buying Verve. Story also continues that Sinatra felt so burned by Granz that Granz' biggest star,Ella Fitzgerald,would not record for Reprise till 1969,nearly a decade after launch.There was never a Ella/Frank album,but when you see them together in one of Frank's "Man & His Music" shows,it near brings tears of what could have been.

16. Bob F

Nothing to do with the CD under discussion, though. :) I apologize for my off-topic reference, and I did start a separate thread:
    [thread=262743]"The Story of Reprise Records" BBC special[/thread]​

17. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

While this compilation might not offer much for fans, it will at least be a good chance for newcomers to discover Frank's music; and that's always a good thing.

18. celticbob

celticbob Forum Resident

This is what I am planning to do as I am only familiar with a few of his tunes. I have the single disc pre-ordered. I can just imagine the expression on the amazon worker's face who fills this order; Sinatra, Brian Wilson, Lou Reed/Metallica and Steel Panther. :laugh:

19. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

is that the one with Noel Coward's intro in French?

20. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

Yeah, they made a fashion comeback in the late '70s and early '80s. I have one stuffed away in a dresser-drawer.

21. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Yes it is. I have never been really "big" on that performance because the orchestra sounds like it's of the high school level....not up to par for Mr. S.

22. Bob F

Deluxe 2CD package

Best-of-the-Best-2CD.jpg

23. Sean Keane

Sean Keane Pre-Mono record collector In Memoriam

This single disc is useless. Anyone who sees it in a store after having compared it to other compilations won't be impressed with the track listing. It'll just look like more of the same. Why would they pick this over My Way - The Best Of Frank Sinatra (1997) when that has 2 discs and could be had for less? It also makes Frank look like the selected tracks are the only really great ones. Is Love And Marriage really one of the best of the best?

Tell Her You Love Her is available only on The Complete Singles Collection. Isn't that one of the Capitol tracks that would have been a good addition to this? What an easy going and cool introduction to Frank Sinatra.

There's way too much overlap here to make this thing special. This disc is one big overlap, and the artwork looks like it was designed on a computer by a first year graphics student. It almost look like a Madacy boxed set.

24. Bob F

Uh, because that one was never seen in US stores? It was a Warner Music UK Ltd. release. The similar 1997 US single-disc issue, THE VERY BEST OF FRANK SINATRA, is long out of print. And those do not contain Capitol tracks.

No, but it may appeal to US TV viewers who remember it from "Married with Children." You'll notice that track is not included in the [post=6949345]international version[/post].

You're too hung up on the title, Sean. It's Marketing 101. They're not making this for Sinatra experts.

25. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

It has yes! But there are many of us who don't have it because we're new to FS and can't afford ridiculous E Bay prices, or those fans who never knew about it first time around and missed out, it was afterall an audiophile label that released it.

I'm not impressed by a lot of what FSE do, but I applaud the release of this 2 disc set and it's inclusion of this classic concert with the legendary Nelson Riddle. :thumbsup:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.