Sinatra - Box Set "A Voice in Time" spans 39-52*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DJ WILBUR, Sep 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

This box set reminds me of the recent Willie Nelson 4-CD IT'S BEEN A HELL OF A RIDE compilation covering all of his labels. Costco sells the Willie box set for $20.

I think this Sinatra box set should sell for about $20 eventually too. Are the CDs in a cardboard folder too?

2. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid Thread Starter

no, box with a 120 page hardcover book, 4 discs in another hard back type book/holder....no cardboard folder here.

3. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

Costco was also selling this Sinatra set for either $20 or $25 recently. I was on the fence about it, as I already had most of the material elsewhere, but the low price weakened my resolve and I wound up picking it up mainly to get the previously-unreleased tracks it contains.

4. Tjazz

Amazon is selling the Sinatra VOICE IN TIME for $25.

5. Tjazz

Tower.com is selling the box for $24

6. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

If you're buying A Voice On The Air and don't have this yet, you really should get this too. It's a great overview of this era of his career.

Both would make for a great Christmas gift for the Sinatra fan in your family. :)

7. colormesinatra

colormesinatra Forum Resident

I rented this from a local library today. I'm already through discs 1 and 2. Such a great set! Sonically, it is miles ahead of the BBB's muffled sonic quality.

CBackley and MLutthans like this.
  8. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

(Poinlessly closed thread reopened.)

Just for yuks, tonight I transferred three releases of the same 1940 RCA take of FOOLS RUSH IN into ProTools so I could compare them easily:

1. 1988 RCA CD, All-time Greatest Hits, Volume One
    2. 1997 RCA CD, The Popular Sinatra, Volume One
    3. 2007 Legacy CD, A Voice in Time

Holy cow, the Voice in Time track (not all that surprisingly) absolutely blows the others out of the water. Nothing subtle about it. The 1988 CD track is muddy and dark, with a significant fake stereo component to it (very Norberg-y in that sense). The 1997 disc is a definite improvement, still not "hard mono," but nearly so, with better tone, but still a little dark. Both of those RCA discs have relatively good (acceptable) dynamic range, but, compared to the dynamics on the A Voice in Time track, their dynamics absolutely suck. This is an exaggeration, but only a very slight one: The Voice in Time track could very nearly pass for a circa 1950 Columbia early magnetic tape track, in terms of the extended frequency response, tone quality, and dynamics. I've had this set for, I think, about 7 or 8 years now (I remember posting about it when I bought it), and I've always liked the sound, but never bothered to actually A/B(/C) anything. The mastering, at least on this RCA track, is a stunning improvement over the earlier versions I have on CD.
    :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

9. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Reopened.

10. Tom Daniels

Tom Daniels Forum Resident

I was just looking at a used copy of this one. Used to a lot more opinions from the Sinatra fans here, but this didn’t seem to generate much excitement here with way, MLutthans excellent comment on one track aside.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.