Sinatra / Capitol 180g LPs: Wee Small Hours, Come Fly with Me, Come Dance with Me*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by randy9700, Oct 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John76

John76 Forum Resident

It didn't matter to me as I never heard the album before. I'm just glad to have nice 2009 copy. It really sounds wonderful.

2. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

Does anyone know anything about a corrected version of In the Wee Small Hours being issued? I bought this on day one but never opened it, for some reason. It's still sealed. I hope I can exchange it easily.

3. Kirk76

Kirk76 Forum Resident

Does anyone know if the corrected version of CFWM is mono or stereo?

I hope they kept it mono and just changed the cover.

4. bonjo

bonjo Forum Resident

I saw the redone Come Fly and it loses the stereo banner, so it looks like it's now the mono w/correct cover.

No way to tell if Wee Small Hours has been re-pressed or not, since the cover will probably be the same. So right now I'm stuck with my defective copy. Heck of a job, Capitol.

5. SCOTT1234

SCOTT1234 Senior Member

They haven't released any corrected versions yet, and it's been a mightly long while. Maybe they've shelved the idea for now. If someone from Capitol who loves good sounding vinyl, has good ears and a genuine admiration for Sinatra's Capitol albums, could be put in charge of a vinyl reissue program then they might start to do things right. I live in vain hope!

6. bonjo

bonjo Forum Resident

As I mentioned above, I saw a new 'From The Vaults' Come Fly With Me at a local store a couple of weeks ago, and it did not have the 'stereo' banner.

So they have released a corrected version of this one.

7. Kirk76

Kirk76 Forum Resident

Thanks for the info. I guess I'll pick up CFWM now.

:wave:

8. SCOTT1234

SCOTT1234 Senior Member

Sorry Bonjo, I missed your earlier post. Well, that's a good sign and we'll wait and see if a new version of "Wee Small Hours" is also available. If anyone picks up a corrected version please let us know.

9. Yes, it's not just the Frank Sinatra reissue LPs that had errors. I was unaware of the Beach Boys LP jacket mistake. I orderd the LP last week from a local HMV. When I picked up the LP the other day, I lost my breath for a second. And then I remembered my LP copy of Come Fly With Me had the wrong jacket, insert and label. So, I was hopeful that I would get a mono LP.

In the case of the Beach Boys - Summer Days..., it's just the LP jacket that's wrong (DUOPHONIC for STEREO). The LP label is the correct mono as is the LP pressing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. So, did Capitol successfully recall all the erroneous Sinatra LPs and have they now reissued the correct versions? I'm wondering because the Beach Boys LP I posted still has the wrong artwork and I just received it yesterday.

11. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

If it's any indication, Wee Small Hours had been listed on Amazon as "currently unavailable" for the longest time after it's initial release last year but is now apparently available again. And I saw it recently at a local Newbury Comics. Could this be the corrected version?

12. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

I grabbed that "Wee Small Hours" at Newbury Comics. I asked the clerk about it, and it was a copy they received in the last two weeks. They said they would not still be stocking a title if it had been recalled by the manufacturer, so this suggests a rerelease. Also, there was a UPC sticker on the outside of the shrink wrap carefully covering the existing barcode. I think they simply reused the jackets from last year, corrected the LPs, and differentiated them with a revised UPC code sticker. I won't know for sure until I get home from work tonight, but the clerk said I could return it if it was still the wrong track on the record.

13. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

^ Eh, scratch that. My "Come Fly" and "Come Dance" also have UPC stickers on the shrink wrap. If this is a corrected copy of "Wee Small Hours," there's no way of telling from the outside...

14. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

Why worry about incorrect tracks & suspect sound when you can get a gray label original instead?

15. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

The version of "Wee Small Hours" I grabbed at Newbury Comics yesterday is the corrected version. "When Your Lover Has Gone" closes out side one.

16. bonjo

bonjo Forum Resident

Why indeed?

And of course for those of us who don't actually have a ready supply of new and mint gray label originals, there's this reissue.

17. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

The sound on the original vs. reissue is markedly different, though. That's why I would avoid the reissue and seek out an original. The original is dry; the reissue is wet. (At least it was wet in its previous incarnation with the wrong track.)

EDIT: Having said that, I have yet to own a truly "great condition" original pressing. They aren't available on every street corner!

18. bonjo

bonjo Forum Resident

The problem for me is I've never seen any 1950's or 1960's Sinatra LPs in anything approaching mint/near mint condition. At record stores and conventions around me they are almost universally trashed (although the covers usually look good).

I suppose there's eBay, but I hate buying vinyl that way, been burned way too many times with "mint" vinyl.

19. MLutthans

Yep; I actually had edited my post to reflect that problem while you were typing your post in reply. Very true!

Matt

20. MLutthans

.....and if anybody is after an "original pressing" of IN THE WEE SMALL HOURS, keep in mind that the 9:00 rainbow labels were sourced from the same tapes as the gray labels. Starting with the 12:00 rainbow, things went downhill.

Matt

21. KipB

KipB Forum Resident

I am pleased to report that I just a week ago found a near mint grey label copy of In the Wee Small Hours ... The N matrix, not the D ... At a record store in Connecticut. The owner charged me $15 ... He had to hunt through some boxes for it and then in the last place he looked he said "here it is "

I asked him to keep an eye out for this for me about a year ago ... And I was just about to break down and get the reissue ... I feel very lucky.

22. Ere

Ere Senior Member

In the Wee Small Hours is one of the few on Capitol that have eluded me to date. I only started collecting and playing these in the last year and have been able to find gray label and 9 o'clock rainbow pressings in VG+ to EX condition locally at good prices. Still need WSH and Sinatra's Swingin' Session though, the hunt continues.

23. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

I just must have been very, VERY lucky with this period of FS material. At Ameoba and/or Record Surplus I have gotten near mint or better copies of "Ring a Ding Ding" stereo and mono, "Sinatra & Strings" stereo and mono, "All Alone" mono gatefold, "I Remember Tommy" mono gatefold, "Sinatra's Swingin' Session" mono, "All the Way", "Point of No Return", and "Sinatra's Sinatra" stereo and mono gatefold. Now...finding a stereo "Swing Along with Me!" (not the retitled "Sinatra Swings!") is impossible!!!!!

24. Mrs. Beeton

Mrs. Beeton Active Member

There was a sale at a local CD shop that sells some vinyl so I finally purchased the From The Vaults Come Fly With Me and Come Dance With Me this afternoon. Tonight I thought I would sit back and enjoy, opened Dance and put it on the turntable only to have it click-click-click on the third track in on side 1. It's going back tomorrow. I'm going to return the unopened Fly, as well. About the best I can say about Dance even before the clicking kicked in was that the sound was unimpressive. Not enough for me to take a chance on the sound for Fly. I'll return it unopened. I'd rather have my money back. Even the collector in me isn't motivated to want these re-issues in our music library.

25. Ere

Ere Senior Member

I thought about this thread on Sunday, at the monthly record show at the Arbutus MD fire hall record show, as I snapped up a stone mint gray label copy of In the Wee Small Hours and an excellent 9 o'clock rainbow of Songs for Swingin' Lovers, for $3 and $2, respectively.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.