Sinatra / Capitol Sound Quality: A Jolly Christmas (1957)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chris Desjardin, Dec 12, 2001.

Tags:
  1. bgiliberti

bgiliberti Will You Be My Neighbor?

I'd like to get that too, but the listings on Amazon are unreliable. How did you establish that it was the right one before buying?

2. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Have the Amazon reseller confirm the details in [post=7017075]this post[/post] by email.

3. 1970

1970 Forum Resident

Thanks for that clarification, RS.

What about sound quality on this one? Is this pressing worth seeking out? And, if so, what would one expect to pay for a NM copy?

4. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

5. GroovinGarrett

GroovinGarrett Mrs. Stately's Garden

They're both the (lousy) Norberg mastering.

6. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

I don't have time to go though 13 pages but I have a mint gray label of A Jolly Chistmas, if anyone needs a WAV of a track for comparison, I'll be glad to assist.
    How's that new 180 gram pressing sound?

7. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

As far as I can tell, it's the Norberg CD, cut in vinyl with some oddball EQ added. A good original pressing will be vastly superior, IMO.

Matt

8. 1970

1970 Forum Resident

So what could I expect from a gray label LP with deadwax W1-894-D5 / W1-894-N7 ? Is this worth picking up?

9. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

If it's in decent condition it should sound wonderful!

10. 1970

1970 Forum Resident

Thanks, Paul. I knew you would know! :)

One more: W1-394-N15 #2 / W2-894-N17 ?

11. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Others may disagree, but I say if you can find an original US issued (CA or PA) gray label in really good condition BUY IT!

12. randy9700

randy9700 Indian MC Rider!

I am by no means a Sinatra expert like many others here just a Sinatra lover. However, my understanding is that the Letter 'D' in the runout indicates a Los Angeles pressing with tape masters and the Letter 'N' indicates a New York pressing with tape dubs. The lower the number follwing the letter is the earlier pressings. If there is a #2 afterwards I believe it indicates the mother number...others can jump in if I am incorrect here Randy

13. MLutthans

Yes, that is correct, but I will add that the tape copies were of high quality (15 ips), so the difference between D and N pressings is often negligible, and as far as getting lower numbers to have earlier pressings, there are often cases where the higher numbers have better sound. It's a crapshoot as far as that part goes, really. (I've had multiple copies of SONGS FOR SWINGIN' LOVERS, and the best sounding one is my D47.)

Get a "D" if you can, but if it's an "N" it's probably still just fine.

Matt

14. randy9700

Thanks Matt...I knew I could count on one of our resident 'Sinatra' experts to chime in and provide further details. This is great information for those of us still trying to get some original Capitol material. The same matrix info works for the original Nat King Coles issues as well. One question tho....would the '9 o'clock mono 2nd pressings be from the same tape masters and thus have the same SQ as the Gray label pressings? Randy

Lastly.. Does N actually mean a pressing from Scranton, PA rather than NY?

15. MLutthans

MMM is the true expert on this stuff, so if he can jump in and make corrections to anything here, take HIS advice over mine! :)

Presumably the same tape was used in that scenario, but that doesn't mean it was cut by the same person using the same ears or using all the same equipment. In theory, they should be "cut from the same cloth," but may use a slightly different dye lot, to use a fabric analogy. In general, a D pressing with a lower number should be "best," and in cases like the mono WHERE ARE YOU, the D1 pressings were audibly superior to even, say, D3 or D6 copies, but that's not always the case, not by a long shot.

I think the Scranton pressings will have the "Scranton Anvil" stamped in the deadwax, and I have many D pressings with the anvil in them. On the other hand, I don't think I have any LA pressings that use the N tapes, but I haven't really checked for that.

Note, too, that a lot of Canadian pressings will be Scranton pressings made from the D tapes, re-labeled for Canadian issue.

Matt

16. randy9700

Now this information is exactly what I mean when I talk about the value of this forum. I never knew this about the 'anvil'. Thanks again Matt!

17. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

I could swear I have at least one LP of something pressed in LA, with a NY cut for at least a side. I'd have to dig around to see what though....

18. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

thats odd.
    My gray label pressing is W1-894-D7 - W2-894-N7

This one sounds killer, it's a keeper.

19. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

For anyone in or near L.A. Amoeba has a sealed copy of last year's Record Day LP for $16.99. It ain't the gray label but it sure plays nicely and has a silent platter.:righton:

20. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Ok so the RSD version is not worth getting?

21. MLutthans

Sound quality wise, there are certainly better options, but there are also worse ones!

22. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

It is a wonderful alternative with a silent platter if you cannot find a NM gray label.

23. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

Quoting my own post from a year ago.. My now 16-year-old son and I just finished kicking off this year's Christmas season with a playing of "Jolly Christmas"! Happy Thanksgiving!

24. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

That story is every bit as heartwarming as it was last year! I'll start out The Season tonight by playing side one of my gray label and just sit back, marvel, and give thanks again for being able to own such a brilliant copy!

25. MLutthans

I've updated this page.

•New clip comparing gray-label D2, MFSL, and 2010 pressings
    •Info on the blue-label SM pressing.

Look for the green text that says "update."

Matt