Sinatra / Capitol Sound Quality: A Jolly Christmas (1957)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chris Desjardin, Dec 12, 2001.

Tags:
  1. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

Thanks Paul! Enjoy :wave:

2. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

MFSL vinyl

I just scored a nice Mobile Fidelity MFSL 1-135 of A Jolly Christmas.:goodie:

Had one before, but gave to a friend for Christmas a while back. Anyway, after revisiting this pressing, the MFSL sounds great IMO. It's possible to hear all the amazing nuances in the vocals and accompaniment.

I do not have a gray or rainbow label that could come close to being preferable. The originals are pleasant (a bit crackly), but man, are they dark. My old Capitol copies vary from somewhat dark to really muddy. Perhaps, though, there is a magic original that has some top end and detail, but I haven't encountered it yet.

The MFSL does not seem overly bright or reedy. Sounds pretty natural. FWIW I usually prefer and seek out the original 50s vinyl cuttings for Sinatra's Capitol albums, but this Mofi Jolly Christmas is thoroughly enjoyable and probably hard to beat. :thumbsup:

3. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

It's a nice record - one of the very best (mastering wise) of the old series of MoFi Sinatra LPs. Enjoy.

4. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

Excellent, thanks. By chance, have you found any original Capitol pressings that you feel are sonically comparable or superior to the Mofi?

5. DennisF

DennisF Forum Resident

Could someone verify if this is the Walsh or Norberg mastering? I appreciate it.

Track 1

Jingle Bells.wav

Peak level 97.2 %
    Track quality 100.0 %

Track 2

The Christmas Song.wav

Peak level 67.0 %
    Track quality 100.0 %

Track 3

Mistletoe And Holly.wav

Peak level 69.5 %
    Track quality 99.9 %

Track 4

I'll Be Home For Christmas.wav

Peak level 59.5 %
    Track quality 100.0 %

Track 5

The Christmas Waltz.wav

Peak level 77.3 %
    Track quality 100.0 %

Track 6

Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas.wav

Peak level 72.2 %
    Track quality 99.9 %

Track 7

The First Noel.wav

Peak level 79.6 %
    Track quality 100.0 %

Track 8

Hark! The Herald Angels Sing.wav

Peak level 73.2 %
    Track quality 100.0 %

Track 9

O Little Town Of Bethlehem.wav

Peak level 59.7 %
    Track quality 100.0 %

Track 10

Adeste Fideles.wav

Peak level 68.0 %
    Track quality 100.0 %

Track 11

It Came Upon A Midnight Clear.wav

Peak level 62.4 %
    Track quality 100.0 %

Track 12

Silent Night.wav

Peak level 58.8 %
    Track quality 99.9 %

Track 13

White Christmas (Bonus).wav

Peak level 69.4 %
    Track quality 99.9 %

Track 14

The Christmas Waltz (Bonus).wav

Peak level 77.7 %
    Track quality 100.0 %

6. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

That's the Walsh (from 1987).

7. DennisF

DennisF Forum Resident

Great! Thank You.

8. rangerjohn

rangerjohn Forum Resident

Was just listening to a transfer of the late-80s MoFi version last night. What an AMAZING album. Track for track the best Christmas album ever IMHO. (I know that many of you agree, but I just had to say it....)

9. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

I haven't looked for any! I have one old Capitol LP of this - the copy my father bought new in 1957. Still in great condition, but side 2 has some sort of pressing issue. It sounds pretty nice, but the Mobile Fidelity is better overall. I treasure it though.

I took these a two years ago, for the Sinatra Forum:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

I think I've heard more people discuss how much they "treasure" having a copy of this LP more than any other. In your case, Martin, it's even more touching. Actually having a copy of this LP as a family heirloom can be quite moving as has been discussed throughout this thread.

As I've mentioned my 1st copy was the Duophonic "Sinatra Christmas Album" purchased in 1971 when I was 17. I cherish the hell out of that copy!

11. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

My father had a bunch of records from when he was younger that got into other hands. Considering that, my love for Frank, this album, myself even playing it when I was younger (before my mother bought the Duophonic cassette with the red cover), that it was well taken care of where I can still enjoy listening to it, etc., I do treasure it.

12. rbichamp

rbichamp Senior Member

Thank you so much for this invaluable info. I ordered from Amazon Marketplace for $4.69 (Prime shipping included!) last week. After receiving it I knew instantly I had the right one.

13. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

You're welcome. You got a good price, enjoy!

14. SixtiesGuy

SixtiesGuy Ministry of Love

I wouldn't call Martina McBride a "flash-in-the-pan" singer! Her duet on Baby It's Cold Outside is well done, both from a performance and sound quality standpoint. It should, however, be a bonus track, not a substitute for the original version with Dino and what sounds like a prehistoric Golddiggers.

I do find it very annoying, however, that Capitol has been re-releasing classic Christmas albums every other year with different covers and/or titles, and, worst of all, slightly different track listings. Deceptive marketing indeed, and particularly ironic that they're doing it with Christmas albums. Hopefully Universal/BMG will clear out those responsible for this once the sale is final. Don't let the door to the Capitol Tower hit you in the @$$ on the way out.

15. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Although not a "classic," a perfect example is CHRISTMAS WITH THE RAT PACK. Six different covers since it was first released (in 2002, to cash in on the Oceans 11 film remake). But the real insult was the latest (2010) reissue, which dropped 5 of 21 tracks and reordered the remaining ones. Capitol also eliminated what used to be a nice liner notes booklet.

RatPackXmas2002-03.jpg RatPackXmas2004.jpg RatPackXmas2006.jpg RatPackXmas2007.jpg RatPackXmas2010.jpg

16. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

I ordered and recieved my copy mastered by Larry Walsh (1987 & correct catalogue no on disc) from a 3rd party seller on Amazon last week, it was like new and the CD cost 1 pence (UK) with postage being £1.26.

Bob, did I pay too much ;)

17. fortherecord

fortherecord Senior Member

How do tell whether an LP was pressed in NY or CA, etc?

18. AxeD

AxeD Forum Resident

Scored the MFSL vinyl last week on ebay and I'm looking forward to receiving it - wil be a nice companion to the UK and MoFi box sets which I obtained over the last 12 - 18 months.
    I expect that the MoFi will be in better shape and sound better than the
    UK 50's and 80's pressinngs which I grabbed before :)

19. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Only if it was a Norberg version, Graham. ;)

3rd Uncle Bob likes this.
  20. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

^^^^^I'm not sure that one merits a wink.

Matt

21. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

From our FWIW Dept.

I recently got my hands on 2 NM copies of the MFSL LP for very little dough. Matt had been coaching me to get a copy as it is the best of the bunch. I played a few tracks from each copy last evening (I'm sure the neighbors must have thought I was off my rocker!) and there is no doubt that Matt is correct. Even though I love my NM gray Scranton lable copy, the sound on the MFSL is incredibly exquisite!

They are out there, fellas...and cheap. If you see one grab it!!!!

22. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Well, it's that time again. Thanksgiving Day...a happy one to all in this great ol' US of A. That means tonight after all the food and the football, I will pull out a copy of this gem (for the 1st Christmas season it will be an MFSL edition) and follow tradition officially beginning another Holiday Season. It's such a great feeling.:love:

23. rangerjohn

rangerjohn Forum Resident

A great way to start the season, indeed, Paul. And a great way to end it will be listening to the duophonic version on Christmas Eve! ;)

24. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Yep, I probably won't get to it today, but this is always one of the very first Christmas album I dig out and play. MFSL version here, too. It's a winner!

Happy Thanksgiving everybody!

Matt

hodgo likes this.
  25. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

Got my copy ready for the 1st of December along with some Ella, Elvis & Diana Krall Christmas CD's.

Please could someone point me to an Amazon link for the best sounding NKC Christmas CD

While we in the UK don't have Thanksgiving I'd still like to send out good wishes to you Matt and to all our American friends, here's wishing you a safe and happy holiday. :edthumbs: