Sinatra / Capitol Sound Quality: A Jolly Christmas (1957)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chris Desjardin, Dec 12, 2001.

Tags:
  1. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Merry Christmas!!!

[​IMG]

2. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

I am not in the mood to find any other proper threads for this (sorry watchers) but I just found a neat thing I do not think was ever mentioned and sorry if it was....

The original LP has the words "Jolly" "from" and "Frank Sinatra" in a pale green color. Yet the MSFL LP has the words "Jolly" and "Frank Sinatra" in yellow and "from" in white.

Anyone ever catch this????

3. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Yeah. FWIW, my CD from the 1992 Concepts (wooden box) set [CDP 7 48329 2], and the 1999 EOTC remaster [72435-21381-2-8], have "Jolly" and "Frank Sinatra" in gold (yellow?). A recent 2011 EMI/Capitol reissue CD [5099967976324] has those in pale green. All three CD covers have the word "from" in white.

It looks like some Capitol art director once forgot that red and green are Christmas colors, and MoFi repeated that mistake (or vice versa?).

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
  4. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

I apologize for bumping this thread out of season, but I have just received my copy of the MFSL LP of this album an I am blown away but the sound of it! I have a nice sounding VG/VG+ of a Capitol 2nd pressing which was my only copy until I purchased the Walsh CD before Christmas. I saw a copy of the MFSL online two weeks ago and got it for a reasonable price. Dead quiet, flat and pristine vinyl. The voices really come at you and Frank's never been more present. His voice on The Christmas Song was rich and vibrant. I've only sampled two tracks but I'm convinced, this is it! Boy do I wish they's done Nat's Christmas LP as well.

This is my first MFSL LP and knowing it was hit or miss for some titles done in that period, I'm sure glad they got it right. Was this a Stan Ricker voodoo concoction?

Can't wait until Christmas! :D

5. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Congratulations! As is mentioned here in the thread, it is THE copy to own. I adore mine.

dasacco and Simon A like this.
  6. aoxomoxoa

7. GJC

GJC Forum Resident

Hi, I am new to the forum but I have been reading sections of this forum for the past two years. It is a lot of fun. I have a CD version of The Sinatra Christmas Album with the catalogue number CDP 548329 dated 1987. The inside liner says it is remastered by Larry Walsh. Is this the same as catalogue number CDP 7 48329 2? I cannot seem to verify this by searching the internet. Thanks for your help.

8. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

I believe that is a Columbia Record Club issue, licensed from Capitol Records and manufactured by Columbia House. Red "Christmas present" cover, title THE SINATRA CHRISTMAS ALBUM, and bar code 0 20831-3194-2 91. Correct?

It *should* be identical to the Capitol CDP 7 version (i.e. really mastered by Larry Walsh), but I don't have one and can't say with absolute certainty.

(Welcome!)

9. GJC

GJC Forum Resident

Yes, that is the bar code on the CD that I have. Once I put my reading glasses on, I noticed in very small type on the insert back cover that it was manufactured by Columbia House. I also have the EMI "A Jolly Christmas" CD and I am going to listen to both of them to hear the differences. I have a ton of FS cds and I am using this forum to help me determine the best sounding ones.

Thanks Bob, I appreciate your help and your incredible knowledge.

Gary

Bob F likes this.
  10. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Anybody have one of these UK reissues, #CAPS 180987 1?
    Screen shot 2014-06-20 at 7.14.40 PM.png
    True mono? Sound quality?

11. aoxomoxoa

Maybe an Alan Dell reissue? Looks like 80's era.

12. MLutthans

That was my thought, too, both by the look of the label and that CAPS prefix in the catalogue number.

I checked on Discogs, and they list this as a 1983 release, FWIW.

13. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Capitol went to a black/rainbow label variant in 1983. Maybe the UK got it later?

14. MLutthans

My "Piano Style of Nat King Cole" UK LP from 1984 or so has that dark grey label, just as the one pictured.

aoxomoxoa and MMM like this.
  15. aoxomoxoa

Well if it's a Dell, it would be a nice compliment to the 20 LP box set!

16. colormesinatra

colormesinatra Forum Resident

17. MarkusGermany

MarkusGermany WINNING

I don't like these samples. I've got the Walsh and the Norberg remasters, but my favourite is the "Mastered For iTunes" issue from 2011 (which is not in the German iTunes Store anymore).

18. MarkusGermany

MarkusGermany WINNING

Does anyone know something about the new re-release (SQ etc.)?

19. MLutthans

I've only done cursory listening to the HD-site samples and some clips that have been sent to me. It sounds good at first blush, but I haven't had the chance to spend any time with it yet.

Anybody else?

20. MLutthans

Finally finding time to listen (3AM locally) to some more brief LP snippets that have been sent my way. The stuff I've heard from @AxeD sounds like the sound quality and mastering are nice, but the vinyl is Rice Krispies, to the point that I'd return this in a heartbeat, and I've returned exactly one LP for noise issues in my entire life. This is a doozy! Anybody else having pressing issues on this title, or did AxeD just get a dud? If the vinyl were quiet, I think this would be a real nice disk, so I'm hoping this is a one-off problem, and I feel bad that AxeD got a bad pressing.

I'm hoping that some folks who own and have heard the whole LP can jump in with sound quality comments, as well.

21. MarkusGermany

MarkusGermany WINNING

Thanks. I love this album and I own 3 versions.... still waiting for an upgrade!

22. MarkusGermany

MarkusGermany WINNING

Interesting that the new remaster is just focusing on the original album release. The bonus tracks are gone now.

23. colormesinatra

colormesinatra Forum Resident

This doesn't surprise me. At this point this album has been officially released plenty of times. I wonder if UMe felt that if you do not have the bonus tracks that have been on previous releases already...tough luck OR they are honoring these albums as the great concept records that they are and only including the tracks that make up the original release?

bozburn and MarkusGermany like this.
  24. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

I don't see why record companies could not actually offer singles as stand alone Hi-Res downloads. I think many of the fans who will be buying this album would be glad to have the possibility of paying, let's say, $3.99 for new Hi-Res transfers of White Christmas and The Christmas Waltz so they can play them alongside the new Hi-Res version of album. I know I would. The only versions I have of those two tracks are form the The Complete Capitol Singles Collection and we all know these versions could been improved upon.

MarkusGermany likes this.
  25. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

The bonus tracks were only on CD issues. All of the new UMe vinyl is true to the original LPs. I notice also that some of the hi-res download sites are showing the cover of the 50th Anniversary CD issue from several years back; an obvious mistake.

bozburn likes this.