Sinatra / Capitol Sound Quality: A Jolly Christmas (1957)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chris Desjardin, Dec 12, 2001.

Tags:
  1. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

That would be Mister Jolly.

aoxomoxoa, Simon A and MLutthans like this.
  2. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Mortimer K. Jolly-Happy, at your service!
    :tiphat:

CBackley, aoxomoxoa and Simon A like this.
  3. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

WARNING!!!
    This very positive feedback and review will change drastically within the next 12 hours!

CBackley, bozburn and Simon A like this.
  4. MLutthans

No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no. Lesson learned on that front!

"Measure twice, cut once," as dad used to say. That's my new mantra. Yesterday was painful.

5. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

LOL! Well he did have a few days to listen to the LP and let it sink in. I doubt he'll pull a 180 on this one. :laugh:

6. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

That was too subtle for me to get right away after a full day's work. Thanks Bob! :)

7. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

Matt, two questions about the LP. I have it but it's still sealed.

- Is the speed/pitch correct?
    - If you own it, does your copy have a lot of "rice krispies"?

Sorry if these questions have already been answered..

8. MLutthans

My copy, which I just picked up this morning, is excellent. I will add this: @AxeD got in touch today, and let me know that, while his first copy was very problematic, his replacement copy is problem free. (AxeD sent clips of his first copy last week, and of his new copy earlier today, and it's like night and day, in terms of audible manufacturing issues.)

No problems that I've noticed in terms of pitch/speed.

bferr1 likes this.
  9. MLutthans

One thing I do have to wonder: If HDtracks was showing this disclaimer:
    [​IMG]
    ....what's the source for the vinyl? (Not that I really care much, because the vinyl sounds great. I'm just curious.)

rxcory likes this.
  10. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

I am glad to hear the new Xmas album is a winner. Sorry if I have been a fuddy duddy about Swingin' Brass!!

Now that I have that out of my system, I would like to also add that the mastering on "In The Wee Small Hours" is quite nice too. So I guess out of the 5 new LPs we have 3 winners and 2 (for lack of a better word) "duds".

11. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

I have listened to CFWM and SASB LPs and I am pleased with both, so that makes this reissue series 2 for 2 for me. I'm sure Jolly Christmas and ITWSH will be winners, too.

12. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

Guys: in the early 60s, Capitol Reissued the Jolly Christmas Lp on the Capitol "Rainbow" label, with the Capitol label off to the left side. Does anyone know how the sound quality is on that release? thanks!

Last edited: Oct 30, 2014
  13. MLutthans

Should be fine on the left-side version, and probably even the 12:00 version. IIRC, this one never got the "wet tapes" treatment (I'll stand corrected if anybody knows for sure), so any true mono copy should be essentially unfutzed. Avoid Duophonic, '70s copies, etc.

bozburn likes this.
  14. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

That was my first version, which I still have and I've enjoyed it for over ten years before getting the MFSL LP and the Walsh CD. I can post a clip and some point if need be.

15. GroovinGarrett

GroovinGarrett Mrs. Stately's Garden

Unless you like those things, of course. The Duophonic version is probably my favorite of all.

Flame away. :cool:

Simon A and MLutthans like this.
  16. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Rule of thumb when buying Sinatra or Cole. Always buy the 9 o'clock logo labels!

17. colormesinatra

colormesinatra Forum Resident

As unpleasant as the waveforms of the 2014 remaster look, I prefer the HD download to the Walsh CD. I did my own comparative listening. Though the new remaster is louder I still hear a level of clarity in the recording overall that I do not hear on the Walsh CD. Just my 2 cents.

-Robert

MarkusGermany likes this.
  18. MarkusGermany

MarkusGermany WINNING

So the HD dowload and the CD mastering are identical (waveforms seem to look the same)?

19. MLutthans

Tonight, I did back-to-back transfers to digital of the MFSL LP and new Capitol/UMe LP. Here are their dynamic readings, MFSL at left; new LP at right:
    Screen shot 2014-11-03 at 2.02.46 AM.png

I'm still sticking with the MFSL as my favorite copy, but the new version (on LP, specifically) is very nice. My preference is for a hair brighter tone than the new version has, but I know that many may feel just the opposite. It's a high quality product; just a matter of personal preference.

By the way, my LP was pressed in The Netherlands (sticker on back), and there is nothing in the deadwax aside from some machine-stamped numbers. The only noise that I noticed on my copy was a couple of less-than-silent rills between tunes. During the musical passages, nothing caught my ear in terms of surface noises, etc.

:righton:

Now....regarding the new digital versions:
    Yes, and they are poor compared to the LP (and I'm not one of the "LP better than CD" guys).

rxcory and MarkusGermany like this.
  20. MarkusGermany

MarkusGermany WINNING

My TargetCD copy arrived today. I like it. My "go-to" version from now on. Just "deleted My old "mastered For itunes" download...

21. MLutthans

Well.....that German iTunes version may be the worst that album has ever sounded. Worse than the Norberg CD, maybe!

MarkusGermany and Simon A like this.
  22. MarkusGermany

MarkusGermany WINNING

I think you are right. I also have the Walsh & the Norberg CDs.

23. MLutthans

From spring of 2007, in another thread:
    JB -- if you can transport your brain/ears back to 2007, can you elaborate a bit on what you are hearing? I just re-played my MFSL LP, checking that track specifically, and didn't notice anything odd like that.

Or maybe somebody else has noticed this and can chime in?

24. MLutthans

Yesterday, I picked up an blue-label SMX (not SM) copy of this album. I think the SMX series emerged around 1985 or so.

I had a 1970s yellow-label SM pressing that re-used the old DW-series Duophonic stampers. (DW was just scratched out in the deadwax, with SM scribbled in next to those letters.) This SMX pressing had no such DW markings, so for $5, I figured it was worth a shot. It was MASTERED BY CAPITOL, and the deadwax reads:

Side One: H25, with the SM notation now having an X squeezed in next to it, indicating a re-used stamper from the SM days. There's also a circle with an X in the middle way off to the right. Cut by Jay Maynard.

Side Two: Also a re-used SM stamper with an X squeezed in, this one a G25 #1 cut, with what looks like a cursive ER or maybe ES -- not the usual ERT that would indicate a Gene Thompson cut.

Both sides are Duophonic, although no such processing is noted anywhere on the jacket or label, so it would appear that once this title got hit with the Duophonic stick, it never reverted to true mono (unlike some other titles from Sinatra, Cole, etc.) during the Capitol LP era. (The new Capitol/Universal LP is mono.)

MMM and Simon A like this.
  25. MLutthans

Oh, one more thing that I meant to mention a couple of weeks back....

@AxeD sent along some audio from this release that I was curious about some time back (June):
    [​IMG]
    That's a 1983 UK reissue LP #CAPS 180987 1.

I was so impressed that I ordered a copy for myself and am really looking forward to its arrival.

Thanks, @AxeD for helping me to spend more money! :laugh:

Do you think that LP sounds as good as I do? (Just curious.) I'll take it over the new (and excellent) 2014 LP, based on what I've heard of the 1983 LP. It's another one of those situations: The 1983 clips sound about 5% too bright; the 2014 sounds about 10% too dark for my preferences. Which sounds best depends on which way you lean, I guess. Based on what I've heard (and I can confirm once my copy arrives), the 1983 UK LP is much closer in tone to the much-praised MFSL LP than the 2014 LP is.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2014
    Simon A likes this.