Sinatra / Capitol Sound Quality: A Jolly Christmas (1957)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chris Desjardin, Dec 12, 2001.

Tags:
  1. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Tomorrow night, while having coffee and dessert after the TD dinner has had room to settle in, side one of this LP will be played to officially open the Holiday season @ Chateau Mock! Then we e-a-s-e into the Christmas records and CD's ever so slowly till the following weekend.

2. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

Château Mock! Paul, you're killing me! :D

Happy Thanksgiving and enjoy A Jolly Christmas but please don't forget to also play his Columbia Holiday songs.

KipB and DLant like this.
  3. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Simon, fear not! Everything Mr.S ever recorded Christmas - wise will be played many times this Holiday season as has always been the case.

aoxomoxoa and Simon A like this.
  4. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

Even that 'The Sinatra Family Wish You A Merry Christmas' album on Reprise? :)

aoxomoxoa and Simon A like this.
  5. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Yes! His 1968 version of "The Christmas Waltz" is my favorite Christmas recording EVER.

aoxomoxoa, Simon A and MMM like this.
  6. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

LOL....I was younger (yesterday) and didnt know any better.....

Simon A likes this.
  7. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Dig the cover artwork on a (new?) Egea Music (EU copyright expiration) release:
    Screen shot 2014-11-27 at 12.01.16 AM.png

8. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

That cover was out there even last year. I love it. Frank almost looks a little demented there or maybe after having had too much coffee... :D

rxcory, bozburn, aoxomoxoa and 3 others like this.
  9. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Hmm, if that's still the price tomorrow I may opt for getting it from HDTracks instead. Only about a dollar more with their current sale, and I'm not sure I'd watch the DVD much.

10. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

Is the new 2014 remaster of A Jolly Christmas a must-buy? I love the MFSL cds of Where Are You and Only the Lonely..

11. MLutthans

Happy Thanksgiving, everybody!

No. The mastering is superior on the 1987 CD issue, which also includes two 1954 Capitol/Sinatra bonus tracks. (In fairness, the 2014 CD does have the dvd of the Christmas show with Bing, which is fun.)

For those considering purchase of the new 2014 CD or HD:
    Here are a couple of additional clips (all within the free iTunes sample windows):

•Jingle Bells (again), this time transitioning from the 1987 Walsh CD to the 2014 CD (same as HD): https://app.box.com/s/w0z50wbs2j83umyquh1l
    •The First Noel, in this order: 1987, 2014, 1987, 2014, in roughly 15-second increments: https://app.box.com/s/6lzcn2nhj37515kn3ekh

As I said in that quoted post, the side one tracks seem markedly tubbier or darker in sound than the side two tracks do. I'm guessing that anybody who listens to the above two clips has no problem spotting where the transition from one CD to the other occurs in the first clip (from side one), and a tough time finding the transitions in the second clip (from side two).

The new disc is definitely a "louder" mastering style, but as @Bob F said a few pages back, it's not "slammed." (Jingle Bells is leaning that way a bit, but is an outlier.)

If you are after the 1987 Walsh mastering, which appeared with two different covers over the years, here's an excellent guide to getting the right mastering:

aoxomoxoa, DLant and Simon A like this.
  12. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

I sincerely hope that the residents of Château Mock are in a festive mood. :D

bozburn, DLant and MLutthans like this.
  13. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! My now 19-year old son just joined me in the stereo room for the annual kick-off with Frank's Jolly Christmas. MOFI, of course.

"Nice sounding piece of vinyl, Dad." :)

And I have just changed my avatar for the season...

KipB, the nightfly, Simon A and 5 others like this.
  14. MLutthans

I had a great Paul Mock Moment (trademark) today. I was on 2nd Avenue in downtown Seattle, having just parked the car in the pouring down rain, and was headed for a shop called Paper Hammer to buy a birthday gift for my sister-in-law, but basically this was my first shopping of the 2014 Christmas season (today being "Black Friday"). I walked into the store, and just at that moment, "The First Noel" from Jolly Christmas came on the stereo.

Kismet. :)

...and when I got home, my always friendly mailman handed me a package from Jolly Old England that contained that 1983 UK pressing of The Sinatra Christmas Album that I ordered recently. :) :)

MMM, Simon A and bozburn like this.
  15. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

Enjoy the UK cut Matt and Happy Thanksgiving!

bozburn likes this.
  16. bozburn

bozburn Forum Resident

I picked up a Walsh Jolly Christmas today while participating in the Record Store Day 2014 hype. Mint condition for $6.00 to replace my scratched copy. :righton:

MLutthans, mmars982 and Simon A like this.
  17. MLutthans

I really feel a need to advocate for a "sleeper" edition of Jolly Christmas, and it's that oddball 1983 UK edition from which @AxeD shared photos a page or so back, #CAPS 1809871. (It was also reissued under the often-excellent MFP banner, probably using the same mastering. I say this based on photos I found online showing similar catalog info in fine print on the MFP labels, but don't quote me. When MFP re-issued The Rare Sinatra, they merely reused the excellent non-MFP stampers, and I think the same happened in this case, but can't confirm that.)

Here's one of AxeD's photos of the 1983 EMI/Capitol LP:
    [​IMG]
    This is a great sounding LP: Not dark (like the excellent -- but tonally a bit on the dark side -- 2014 LP), with full-range tone and unencumbered dynamics, all on quiet vinyl in true mono.

Hearing is believing, no? My copy of this LP arrived today, so here are brief clips from each of the tracks on side one: https://app.box.com/s/79ynuv6rctca779v45kb

Please have a listen!

18. Is it safe to assume that any CDs with the red "gift box" The Sinatra Christmas Album cover are the Walsh mastering?

19. MLutthans

Nice photos I found online of an edition that doesn't turn up every day, but probably sounds pretty nice:
    JollyCover.jpg JollySideOne.jpg JollySideTwo.jpg JollyRear.jpg JollySpine.jpg

CBackley, mmars982 and rxcory like this.
  20. MLutthans

21. stevelucille

stevelucille Forum Resident

Very cool! I'd never seen that.

Simon A likes this.
  22. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Has to have sounded better than the Duophonic cassette I have from Columbia House. :)

23. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

Ouch. Duophonic + Cassette + Columbia House. Every audiophile's dream!

CBackley, MMM, Simon A and 1 other person like this.
  24. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

I have good memories of hearing that cassette, but it sounded like Frank was singing through a wax paper covered comb.

Simon A and mick_sh like this.
  25. JimSav

JimSav Well-Known Member

I'm uncomfortable with Hall and Oates being that close to Sinatra, even just in print. There's just something wrong about it.

Simon A likes this.