Sinatra / Capitol Sound Quality and General Discussion - Come Dance with Me (released 1959)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by serge, Nov 15, 2009.

1. BluRayVen

BluRayVen Well-Known Member

This post may be best in the marketplace forum but I figure I might get a better response from fellow Sinatra lovers here. So about 3 weeks ago I find a variation of CDWM that I don't have on sale in the UK, but the seller was not willing to do international shipping. I contacted a Facebook friend and asked her to buy it then send it to me once she got it. She won it but it never arrived. The idiot seller couldn't bother to give it a tracking # but the courier says it delivered. So if anyone can find this German mono copy Cat# K83132 please PLEASE sell it to me. Lastly if anyone finds this Holland copy W-1069. I need both of these in my collection. There's 2 other variations from Argentina I need but those are going to be crazy hard to get.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. roda12

roda12 WATERTOWN FOREVER

A question: I have an Sinatra Capitol double Lp album called "Golden double 32" from Japan. It features a stereo version of "I could have danced all night" that uses a complete different mix than any other version I know of. The sax section is bone dry and very much up front. It almost has a 1930's sound to it. Does anybody know anything about it. Would love to have the complete CDWM album with this mix. But I can't even seem to find it in Matt's invaluable samples pages. I think the defective reverb is there but I'm not sure.

Simon A likes this.
  3. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

[​IMG]
    Frank looks as if he's saying "You're a dead man!"

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2017
  4. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

There may be some random LP tracks that survived okay, but on the whole, Golden Double 32 was mastered with Toshiba-EMI's then-exclusive VST*® technology. "I Could Have Danced All Night" uses the first, defective, deleted stereo mix, with the channels reversed, and the treble so rolled off that it almost removes any hint of the reverb that tails off to the left. (It's supposed to tail off to the right....but Golden Double 32 even screwed that up!)

Here is an audio clip that starts with the 1961 reel to reel, switches to Golden Double 32, then back to the reel and back once more to Golden Double 32.

Generally, I do not mention "badly mastered individual album tracks within compilation albums," because 1.) they are so abundant; and 2.) they don't help anybody to hear a good version of the album (as a unit) from which they originally came. If there is something that is exceptionally good out there, such as the Swingin' Affair tracks that appeared on some non-USA EMI CDs in the late 80s, I do mention those sometimes, but usually just within threads here, not within the album-specific pages at 11fifty.com.

*Verified Sonic Turd

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
    McLover, roda12, Bob F and 1 other person like this.
  5. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

From the film "A Hole in the Head" (1959), actually.
    Correct track list at SFF: Frank Sinatra Album - Golden Double 32 1975 Capitol ECS-65013/14 JP

Simon A likes this.
  6. MLutthans

Well....that'll kill ya, typically! :D

Simon A and Bob F like this.
  7. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

[​IMG]

Arkoffs, MLutthans and bozburn like this.
  8. roda12

roda12 WATERTOWN FOREVER

So the first defective stereo mix was deleted?! How come it survived on this compilation? Was it ever released as an album? The Golden Double album stinks soundwise because it uses fake stereo versions as well. But I find the dry sound of "could have danced" very interesting. It gives you a hint on how that album could have sounded ( if it would have been mixed properly without defective mix). The dry sax section makes you realize that Billy May arranged the orchestra in a 1930's fashion. You don't hear that when the orchestra is drowned in reverb!!!

rangerjohn likes this.
  9. MLutthans

The reverb on the released versions (mono and pre-CD stereo) is certainly problematic, I agree.

Yes, the entire album was available for a couple of years in that defective mix. See/hear clips, here: Come Dance with Me - recorded 1958 Stereo Releases .

I think that EMI-Toshiba tended to hang on to tapes. (Nothing wrong with that!) For instance, EMI-Toshiba released Same Old Saturday Night from (dubs of?) the CORRECT source tapes in 1982. Aside from the original singles of 1955 and that EMI-Toshiba release in 1982, *ALL* releases of that song use the futzed-with Look to Your Heart LP masters, not the original, "clean" 45 master. Lengthy forum discussion starts here: Sinatra / Capitol Sound Quality (and general discussion): Singles, Soundtracks, Etc. . Webpage at my site here: Non-Album Tracks, 1955 . (It appears that, regrettably, when EMI-Toshiba re-issued The Hit Maker on CD, they had new digital dubs sent from the USA.....and the wrong tapes were dubbed. Get the LP!)

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
  10. roda12

roda12 WATERTOWN FOREVER

As always your knowledge and advice is priceless! Thanks!

MLutthans likes this.
  11. MLutthans

You're welcome!
    [​IMG]
    I do what I can! :laugh:

kennyluc1, roda12 and Bob F like this.
  12. marmil

marmil It's such a long story...

I'm breaking in a new cartridge (Dynavector 10x5) and did a shootout with an original Capitol 9 0clock/text (D4/D2), a UK Dell and the '83 MFSL. Played the MFSL 1st, sounded very good but not quite...the Capitol sounded good enough but a bit compressed and the Dell sounded amazing. Everything that was supposed to be there was there. Very open, not harsh, just...great. I'm very glad that I have 3 stereo copies of this and that they're all different. But I think from now on, the Dell will be my go-to.

Simon A likes this.
  13. MLutthans

I agree that the Dell sounds great -- on 11 of the songs. Too bad about the whacko mix that kicks off side two! (It's my favorite version on the 11 other songs.)

14. roda12

roda12 WATERTOWN FOREVER

I have a Dell mono version that says stereo on the cover. Sound is good but not too impressive. And by the way, why where the Dell versions not able to write on the cover what was inside the sleeve???!!!
    I have another mono 9o'clock UK version that sounds very thin and bad compared to the Dell. I'll have to say that usually the UK EMI pressings sound almost always bad.
    I only have the stereo version on Cd. Never knew that, because like I said my damn album cover reads stereo and only noticed now, because my records were stored away for ten years.
    So from what I learned here, I'll have to seek out the original defective stereo mix plus the later mix. Which makes five different versions in the end. If I count the new Ume which is very tempting it will be six. Almost insane!

marmil likes this.
  15. MLutthans

Netherlands pressing? Is "038" somewhere in the catalog number on the spine or disc label? Looks like this:
    [​IMG]
    ??
    Probably the best mono release the album ever had, but that mono mix is no great shakes, as they say, so that's not very high praise.
    (@mahanusafa02 -- have we yet to turn up a 1984 Dutch DMM STEREO release for this title yet? As I recall, the answer is no.)
    A lot of variables come into play. I mean, the UK Dell stereo LP, which sounds great (IMO), *IS* a UK EMI pressing! So is the UK mono that you were (rightly) criticizing. Also, you will come to find that some EMI UK pressings are pressed from USA Capitol stampers. Sometimes Capitol would send out dub tapes to foreign markets for cutting; sometimes they would send out metal parts from Scranton. When that happens, even if you are holding a UK pressing, you are essentially holding a USA disk, pressed on vinyl made in the UK (or France or Japan, etc.).
    Assuming that's a Dutch (Netherlands) pressing, be aware that it's possible you may come across more such pressings, as other titles in the 1984 series had Dutch releases in mono that, oddly, used the Dell/stereo sleeves.

Does anybody need to seek out all those versions? Some of them are defective (fact) and/or suck (IMO). You can listen to clips from 17 different stereo releases right here: Come Dance with Me - recorded 1958 Stereo Releases . In my opinion, for 11 of the 12 songs (91.7% of the album), you'll not beat the sound of the UK stereo Dell pressing. If you need that 12th song -- and to have 12 good-sounding tracks on a 12-song album is a reasonable expectation, I think (!) -- grab a yellow-label or '76 German LP, and you'll be set for life, BUT....I don't think either of them quite lives up to the 11 good-sounding tracks on the UK stereo Dell LP.

Man, this album needs a good remix. It's the aural mess within the Sinatra/Capitol catalog.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2017
    McLover, bozburn and rangerjohn like this.
  16. roda12

roda12 WATERTOWN FOREVER

Thanks Matt, it's the mono version seen on the photo you posted. Like I said "Sound is good but not too impressive" which only confirms that the mono mix is no great shakes. This was my first copy of this album I bought when I was around ten years old. So I've grown up with this one.

Thanks for the info on the EMI's. Still I will stay away from those in the future, because they are too often subpar compared to the US versions.

As for the many different versions, no nobody needs to seek out all of them. But in my case, right now I am collecting all the original pressings of Sinatra's albums, simply because I mostly have reissues only. So I will need the first defective mix.

Then I understand from your post that the best stereo version is the Dell or the German '76. So I'll need one of them to.

Which then will make 5 different versions in my collection. Like I said almost insane! And the Ume is still tempting even with the compression.

What still bothers me is that in my case, I already bought a Dell stereo version which turned out mono!!! Once again, how can they write Stereo and put in a mono disc???!!! And get away with that. And they did that with other albums as well (Come fly with me, No one cares...)

17. MLutthans

Well....you SORT OF bought the Dell stereo version. By-and-large, when anybody here refers to the "Dell" versions, they mean the 1984/85 UK releases, but there were also the Dutch releases (mono and stereo) with the 10 038 prefixes, which is what you have. Not the same beast (as you know)!

For those who might like to have a listen, but haven't yet:

•D1#2 original stereo, defective/bad mix: http://www.11fifty.com/Site_108/1958_-_Come_Dance_with_Me_2_files/CDWMClipCanadaD1#2-GAIN_01.mp3

Yellow-label H14#1, common stereo mix: http://www.11fifty.com/Site_108/1958_-_Come_Dance_with_Me_2_files/CDWMClipSM-GAIN_01-11.wav

German 2-fer LP from 1976: http://www.11fifty.com/Site_108/1958_-_Come_Dance_with_Me_2_files/CDWMClipGerman-GAIN_01.wav

•UK Dell: http://www.11fifty.com/Site_108/1958_-_Come_Dance_with_Me_2_files/CDWMClipUK84-GAIN_01.wav

The ones in green are "defect-free," with all 12 songs using the correct stereo mix.

I'm sure many of us own MANY copies of this album! :agree: Welcome to the asylum!

18. BluRayVen

I DO! And have been for 7 years now. Ass far as this album is concerned I have 86 different variations from all around the world. 25 just from the US. As far as I know I only need one from the Netherlands and 2 from Argentina to have a copy of all known variations.

roda12 likes this.
  19. BluRayVen

Merry Xmas to me.

[​IMG]

roda12 and MMM like this.
  20. roda12

roda12 WATERTOWN FOREVER

Wow! Do you have the version from Chile? How is the sound on that one? What mix? Somebody is offering that to me. Don't know if I should buy it...
    It is called "Ven Baila Conmigo" and has a white label and is stereo

21. BluRayVen

Chile..... there's one,,, from Chile?! I had no idea one existed. If someone is offering it to you can you offer it to me? Like it's my goal to have every variation And i'm now in rare and very hard to find territory.

roda12 likes this.
  22. roda12

roda12 WATERTOWN FOREVER

Just bought it. Will receive it next week. Looking forward to it.

23. roda12

roda12 WATERTOWN FOREVER

Today I've received the Chile Lp of CDWM!!! It's a beauty! It has the original defective mix ( which I was after!). I know it's a dog soundwise (and very odd that they released it that way) but I'm crazy bout the dry sax section.

The Chile record is so nice. It has a golden Capitol label (never seen that one ever) and it was distributed by Odeon. The label itself reads "Ven, baila conmigo". The record has a N3 and N4 stamper.

I bought this from a lady here in Germany. She told me that her father was on vacation in Chile in the early 60s and bought the record right there!
    So glad that it has the original mix. Because she said early 60s. The second mix came in 1962. So I was very curious which mix was used on this one.

All I can say, I got so much fun out of this one, when I played it I felt like 12 years old all over again!!!:)

JeffreyB likes this.
  24. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Does it appear to be USA sourced, with the same stamping style?

25. roda12

roda12 WATERTOWN FOREVER

I really can't tell if it's USA sourced. Maybe you can help me?

The label reads "Fabricado en Chile por industrias electricas y musicales Odeon".
    The complete stamper is SW 1 - 1069 - N3 though! Same stamping style.

What do you think?