Sinatra / Capitol Sound Quality and General Discussion: Come Fly with Me (recorded 1957)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MLutthans, Nov 11, 2009.

1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

It's like that Doug Fairbanks-Mary Pickford movie version of The Taming Of The Shrew: Written by William Shakespeare and Sam Taylor.

Bob Belvedere likes this.
  2. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff Thread Starter

The credit had that typo on the promo label, as well:
    cimg0273.jpg cimg0274.jpg cimg0275.jpg

Bob Belvedere and Simon A like this.
  3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

"Buddy" Kipling for short..

rxcory, Bob Belvedere and Simon A like this.
  4. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

If we assume the catalog numbers of this (1973) series are of the form ECP-80xxx, those two LPs are the only ones listed in the WoW database. There were a number of other Japan Capitol Sinatra LP reissues with prefix ECP-88, but those do not appear to be of the same vintage nor state "Best Recording Series" on their covers.

McLover, Bob Belvedere and MLutthans like this.
  5. Arkoffs

Arkoffs Remote member

I'm glad this got bumped for Budyard, missed it when the scorecards were initially updated.

McLover and Simon A like this.
  6. mahanusafa02

mahanusafa02 Forum Resident

Guys, I believe I've found a new variation on this album, although as Matt says, speculation can sometimes lead to embarrassment. Anyway, I ordered what I thought was the stereo 1984 Dutch "Dell" DMM LP of Come Fly With Me for another perspective on the original stereo mix. When it arrived, the labels look identical to those on Matt's album comparison pages, except they say MONO on both sides! o_O And even though my turntable is still 60hz in a 50hz country, I could hear what indeed was a mono mix (don't worry, I had already disconnected my Y-cable). To be fair, I haven't listened to all tracks yet, but just track 1 on both sides. The LP is still DMM and it has the same catalog number, along with the typical Dell artwork on the back with the vintage Capitol Full Dimensional Stereo logo (which as we know means little on these reissues). What gives? I will try to post clips or send them to Matt (they will have to be software-sped-up to the proper speed, of course).

Last edited: Oct 27, 2015
  7. mahanusafa02

Well, from limited listening to six tracks ("Come Fly With Me," "Around the World," "Autumn in New York," "Let's Get Away From It All," "Brazil," and "It's Nice To Go Trav'ling,"--a mix of brassy and stringy, and from all three sessions), it sounds like the aforementioned LP is a slightly on-the-trebly side take on the original mono mix. While the LP itself is NM and extremely quiet, I'm torn as to whether to send it back, because it's not what I wanted, but it may be an interesting (or not) variation that we (I) didn't know was out there. The catalog number, btw, is 1A 038 26 0095 1.

EDIT: Matt's link to Discogs.com for this 1984 DMM LP on the 11fifty.com Come Fly With Me conclusion page shows this to be a mono version! His pictures of the label show it to be stereo, but Discogs does not actually show this LP as a stereo version! Yikes! Now I'm REALLY confused...

Last edited: Oct 27, 2015
    McLover likes this.
  8. MLutthans

Yeah, as @mahanusafa02 intimates, this is an odd thing, for sure.

John was so kind as to send some clips my way, and it's definitely the mono mix, soupy has heck (as usual), but with the same catalogue number as my DMM 1984 Dutch LP.

John, is the same number on the spine and in the deadwax? How odd that it would exist as both mono and stereo! Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

9. mahanusafa02

Deadwax info:
    Side A: 2600951-A1+C
    Side B: 2600951-B1+C

Spine of sleeve is the same, 038-26 0095 1, and so is the back cover of the sleeve.

10. MLutthans

Does the cover also have all the STEREO indicators, i.e., the Capitol "Full Dimensional Stereo" logo, etc.?

11. mahanusafa02

Yes, but just the back cover. Front cover just displays the DMM logo. There is no info strip along the top of the front cover like a vintage LP, with the catalog number, stereo blurb, artist/title, etc.

McLover and MLutthans like this.
  12. MLutthans

I am not at home, but I happen to have a label photo on my laptop (from when I built the webpage), and in that photo, the side two deadwax matrix info is visible.

John's 1984 Dutch DMM mono side two deadwax info is: 2600951-B1+C
    My 1984 Dutch DMM stereo side two deadwax info is: 2600951-B2+D

My kneejerk reaction is that the mono must have come out first and been replaced by the stereo version, but I can't say conclusively, of course.

McLover and Simon A like this.
  13. blutrane

blutrane New Member

Sorry to bump this thread, I was wondering if anyone could identify this version that is uploaded to itunes

https://itunes.apple.com/ca/album/come-fly-with-me/id923661911

I think it is relatively better than the 98' version for me (via the samples anyhow) which is the only other version I have access to listen to - debating getting this or the mono version, generally preferring stereo

thanks!

14. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

It's not stereo. It's the same as the mono version with the wrong cover art. The link you gave is for the Canadian iTunes store, but the same item has been withdrawn from the U.S. store. If you listen to the samples (in Canada), I think you will hear that they sound the same as the album at these links:

Canada store —> https://itun.es/ca/61zN3
    U.S. store —> https://itun.es/us/61zN3

That is the "Mastered for iTunes" version of the recent (2014) UMG mono remaster. They originally messed up the online cover image for both the vinyl LP and the digital downloads. Apparently, Apple never fixed the mistake on the Canadian site.

15. MarkusGermany

MarkusGermany WINNING

Neither they did on the German site. Confusing.

16. DLant

DLant The Upstate Gort Staff

Flying to North Carolina today!

This seemed appropriate:

[​IMG]

2014 UMe.

17. blutrane

blutrane New Member

thanks for this info, based on this and other info in this thread I decided to purchase the mono version on hdtracks.

Bob F likes this.
  18. marmil

marmil It's such a long story...

The guy is just waiting for the band...

19. marmil

Just got the new Come Fly With Me LP. It sounds great! I'd go so far as to say that it sounds much better than my gray label copy. Better highs, much better bottom and everything in the middle. Billy May is my fave FS arranger so I could listen to this all day - EXCEPT the stereo version. I only have a 12 o'clock logo N4/N2 copy which sounds terrible, but to replace it with an original 9 o'clock logo copy, from what I've read here about the stereo version on this LP, would probably be a waste of money. If you like this LP or have never heard it, the new version is the way to go!!!!!!! (I should be getting paid by UMG for this!).

CBackley likes this.
  20. marmil

Actually, what I just wrote brings up an interesting (to me) point. I have a 12 o'clock logo N4/N2 CFWM. Buy virtue of the label it's a 2nd pressing. Forget for a moment that we're talking about a record that sounds like crap. In the abstract, would a 12 o'clock logo D4/D2 (a 2nd press) sound better or worse than a 9 o'clock logo D6/D5?

21. MLutthans

IMO, from my site:
    <<Stereo versions: In 2009, I commented that the original stereo LPs did not impress me, and I still feel that way. In blind listening, these LPs, along with the 1970s Scully-cut SM- and SY- LPs, are completely bland and bring nothing special to the table. Now having a handful of additional masterings with which I’ve become familiar, I think I’ve come to see the following as being accurate: All stereo releases of this album prior to 1976 basically stink. The original mastering was poor, and no effort was really made to approach the album’s sound in a new, more-inviting way until the German 2-LP set, 2 Originals of Frank Sinatra, was released in 1976. Starting with that release, we begin to see a degree of “revisionist thinking” for the sound of this LP in stereo -- and based on the original mastering’s sound, this is a title that NEEDED revisionist thinking! >>
    Post-1976 stereo LPs that (IMO) are well worth seeking out:
    Screen shot 2015-12-19 at 1.12.07 PM.png
    Screen shot 2015-12-19 at 1.11.48 PM.jpg
    (Be aware that the Netherlands LP was issued both in mono AND stereo in 1984, with the same catalog number, and the mono LP is very bad.)

EDIT: Thoughts on stereo CDs, from the site:
    <<In terms of CD releases, there is really only one that is top-grade in my opinion, and that’s the 1987 CD that was remixed by Larry Walsh. To my knowledge, this CD marked the first attempt to rectify the technical gremlins that infect five of the songs on the stereo version, and Mr. Walsh did a bang-up job. It’s not 100% perfect (some songs are panned in a bit; the first note of “Isle of Capri” is cut off; some of the tweaks done to overcome the defects are mildly distracting), but it’s darned good and highly recommended, as good a place to start with this album as any, and that’s a high compliment. When push comes to shove, this CD is probably also my “top choice” for this album, although I’m very fond of the four LPs mentioned above, and prefer the original stereo mix when the technical problems are not in play.>>

Last edited: Dec 21, 2015
    McLover likes this.
  22. marmil

23. MLutthans

Yup; that's the 2010 (very well done) mono reissue that was originally released with stereo artwork and labels. (Oops.) They list it as the 2014 release, but that one has the correct mono cover are, so something's fishy.

EDIT: Actually, you will want to contact that seller first. My guess? They just used stock artwork for their sale. Bad, bad, bad thing to do if you are selling LPs!

Both the Walsh ('87) and Norberg ('98?) CDs have 15 tracks, yes.

The Walsh was released under two different UPC numbers in the US:
    As far as I know, its still in print in the UK and available via Amazon.co.uk. I'm sure Bob F can confirm.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2015
  24. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

CDP 7 48469 2

Confirmed. See this post: —> Frank Sinatra - Best Sounding CDs?

25. AJH

AJH Senior Member

Just last month, I ordered and received a copy of this CD, for a relative, from Amazon UK.