Sinatra / Capitol Sound Quality and General Discussion - "No One Cares" (1959 LP)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MLutthans, Mar 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff Thread Starter

Paul -- I'm so glad you like this! (I never know unless I get feedback, so I appreciate it.)

Here's a quick-and-dirty, temporary, printable version, just for you: https://app.box.com/s/bqdghyif0yx8gdqjo16rsvgn7t40vsll

CBackley likes this.
  2. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

OOOOH LA LA! It works! Thanks. Whaddya mean no feedback? Lots of us have openly referred to this guide (in previous versions) openly in these threads as THE Go-To Guide for best sounding Capitol Sinatra albums. :shtiphat:

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
    MLutthans likes this.
  3. MLutthans

Every old dog likes a good belly-rub now and then. :)

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
    CBackley, Beaneydave and paulmock like this.
  4. aza14782

aza14782 Forum Resident

All I can say is, as usual, job well done. I've been pretty busy these last few months and I never even got around to trying the blind test, but I really did like the read of the completed page.

As I said earlier in the thread, this was my first "real" Sinatra album and because of that, it's been my favourite since. We can talk until the cows come home about OTL v. NOC or whatever else you want to compare it to, but at the end of the day it comes down to how the album speaks to you. The same can be said about the sound. As much as I love the best sounding release, I'd rather listen to it through an AM broadcast than not to listen to it at all.

Either way, and I know I speak for a few of us in this thread, whenever I see a different pressing of an album I already have 3 or 4 times over, I buy it anyway. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

What I love most about these pages is more the history of the recording. All the different details that get dug up just make these albums that much more real, at least for me they do. Knowing all the arrangements, how they were set up, how they were recorded, and then to close your eyes as the lead in song comes on and you can almost picture everything there. Maybe I'm getting a bit ahead of myself here but in all honesty, although I don't have the time to do it as often as I'd like, when I sit down for a listening session (and I mean one where you really sit and focus on the music), all this information really just makes the album that much more.

RogerB, MMM and MLutthans like this.
  5. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident

FRANK SINATRA - No One Cares - Amazon.com Music

The back cover photo says Remastered by Larry Walsh and (I think) copyright 1991. But the track listing says 1999 digital remaster.

I've seen on this forum that the Larry Walsh remaster is the one to buy. Is this that one?

6. MLutthans

The mp3 samples sound like the Norberg version to me. Here's what I suspect is going on:
    •The CD itself is an import at Amazon.com, and is likely the current UK edition, which should be the Walsh version, as the Norberg was never released in the UK.
    •The mp3 is being provided by Amazon.com (from the US), not Amazon.co.uk, and the US mp3 version is the Norberg master.

As far as sound goes, I think that the Walsh version is quite good, but it is a remix. The original stereo mix is beautifully presented on the MFSL disc, and is, I think, better -- but the Walsh is still good. Avoid the Norberg.

MFSL SACD at Amazon: Frank Sinatra - No One Cares - Amazon.com Music

Gobs of audio samples here. Just click the pictures and listen: No One Cares - 1959

7. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident

Thanks! I see also that it's a preorder with an October 13 release date. Are the Walsh versions being reissued?

8. MLutthans

Walsh CD clip: http://www.11fifty.com/Site_108/1959_-_No_One_Cares_files/Here'sThatRainyDayClipStereoWalshCD-GAIN_01.wav
    MFSL CD clip: http://www.11fifty.com/Site_108/1959_-_No_One_Cares_files/Here'sThatRainyDayClipStereoMFSLCD.wav

There's definitely more clarity on the Walsh remix, but I think that over the run of the album, the softer approach of the MFSL/original mix works a little better, although I like both.

Also, @Kevin55 -- Let's let @Bob F confirm what's what on Amazon. He's "the guy" for that stuff. I'm sure he'll chime in.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
    Bob F and Kevin55 like this.
  9. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

I've noticed this Amazon.com listing, and it's fishy. First of all, it is newly listed as a pre-order for an "Import," but with the same product code (ASIN) as the existing UK/EU CD. (That one is the 1991 Larry Walsh version.) However, I can find no other worldwide Amazon store which is releasing this in October. And, it is MUCH too early to be announcing a new October release; Capitol/UMe would never do so four months in advance, and would certainly not yet have printed covers to display. Finally, there are no product details listed at US Amazon (e.g. the record label).

My guess: This is some other product which has been assigned the wrong ASIN code.

As Matt surmised, the listed 1999 digital samples are from the Norberg CD (from the 2000 Concepts box set and 2002 EOTC disc), which are the current available versions at US Amazon.

Note that the Walsh CD version has never gone out of print in the UK. See these posts:
    » You can never have too much Sinatra, please help with the following CDs?
    » Frank Sinatra - Best Sounding CDs?

But if you are buying this album for the first time, get the MFSL hybrid SACD:
    » Frank Sinatra - No One Cares (Numbered EDITION Hybrid SACD) | Shop Music Direct

MLutthans likes this.
  10. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident

Thanks! I really appreciate you sharing your knowledge.

MLutthans and Bob F like this.
  11. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

My copy of the MFSL LP is cut off center. Does anyone else's copy have this problem? Shouldn't it affect every copy made with the same stamper?

I haven't noticed any crazy pitch changes. But I hate seeing my tonearm sway back and forth, especially on a record from MFSL.

12. TrueStory

TrueStory Forum Resident

Got a few more Sinatra records today, one of these was this album in mono from the dutch DMM series. Sounds wonderful, prefer the mono mix over the stereo mix for this album, so I couldn't be happier! Silent vinyl and very dynamic sound on this record, a keeper for sure!

aza14782 likes this.
  13. roda12

roda12 WATERTOWN FOREVER

Folks, I just played my "No one cares" DMM Alan Dell pressing from Holland.
    The sleeve cover says Stereo and so does also the label say. But here it comes:
    Side one is Mono(!) and now wait for it: Side two is Stereo!!!!!!??????
    At first I thought I was still drunk, but I am NOT!
    Can anyone check his DMM pressing if available?
    This means I only have half of each version!!!
    Good reason to buy the original mono pressing and the MFSL stereo as well!

14. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

It's always a good idea to buy the MFSL as a rule, in any case.
    Buy two copies.
    One to own, the other to listen to.

15. MLutthans

From another discussion, regarding the odd release history of the Dutch DMM pressings:
    I'm guessing that your side one has matrix info that includes 1852921, while side two contains 2601411.
    ????

Regardless, that's kind of a cool artifact you have there.
    My guess? Stampers were replaced as they wore out, but they did not wear out at the same time, and you got a copy from that transition period. Or somebody goofed.

NorCal and roda12 like this.
  16. roda12

roda12 WATERTOWN FOREVER

Matt you are AMAZING!!! You are perfectly right about the matrix!
    Side one: 1852921 MA 2 D
    Side two: 2601411 B1 D

It sure is some artifact in some way:D

Wonder if anyone will find the same goofed version in his collection!
    Check it out folks! I didn't even realize after all these years.

NorCal and MLutthans like this.
  17. roda12

roda12 WATERTOWN FOREVER

Although Side one has the mono matrix the label still reads stereo. So they goofed in any case.

I also have the Alan Dell DMM "Come fly with me" which reads Stereo on the cover and has the mono vinyl inside. But that's a more common goof and at least the label reads mono.

18. MLutthans

roda12 likes this.
  19. roda12

roda12 WATERTOWN FOREVER

Always nice to hear Nelson's little arrangement correction on "I'll never smile again". Listen to the part "that our romance is through". Suddenly you hear the beautiful glorious Riddle strings coming out of blue! A little glimpse on how the album would have sounded with Nelson.

Artur Torres likes this.
  20. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

IF you are referring to No One Cares, the arranger is Gordon Jenkins.;)

21. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Nelson conducted the session. I think that's to what he's referring.

22. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Of course....my bad.

23. MLutthans

.....but it's still not Nelson's arrangement (just to clarify).

24. roda12

roda12 WATERTOWN FOREVER

Friedwald says in his book that Gordy made an harmonic mistake in "I'll never smile again" and Nelson corrected that mistake and rearranged those few bars. Of course it is Gordy's arrangement and yet you can HEAR Nelson's corrections CLEARLY. Go ahead and listen to the few bars "that our romance is through" and you'll hear Nelson's typical string sound! Could have been right out of the "Nice'n'easy" album soundwise!

paulmock likes this.
  25. MLutthans

Interesting. I had never noticed that change in flavor, but now that you point it out, I think it's plausible.

I always openly admit to not knowing much about the more biographical story lines of Sinatradom, so maybe there's some well-known info to which I am ignorant, but was No One Cares an especially taxing or difficult album, creatively? Did the second session go especially poorly? Was it cut short on account of illness or something? Or just bad juju? Both songs, when released, contained edits, and the song that made the album, "Here's That Rainy Day," took 21 takes to complete.

I ask because, typically, a Gordon Jenkins-arranged album will be done boom-boom-boom, 3 sessions, 4 songs each, done in quick succession. In this case, the middle of the three sessions only saw two songs completed, and one of those wound up not making it onto the album, meaning that a fourth session was required, and that one was conducted by Nelson, about six weeks later.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.