Sinatra / Capitol Sound Quality and General Discussion - "No One Cares" (1959 LP)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MLutthans, Mar 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GroovinGarrett

GroovinGarrett Mrs. Stately's Garden

Yep, you're right.

W1-1221-N1
    W2-1221-N1

Apparently my eyesight is going. I also see what looks like A5 stamped on side 1, and BV and a number 1 stamped on side 2.

2. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

You'll might see the "H" lathe used on cuts for reissues...

3. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff Thread Starter

I found this in the racks at Golden Oldies on 45th in Seattle. Didn't buy, but I think it's odd that the yellow stamp runs about a half inch into the last song!

Attached Files:

john lennonist likes this.
  4. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

So my MFSL hybrid SACD (stereo) came in the mail yesterday afternoon. Did a few quick song comparisons between the MFSL redbook layer, the Capitol AAD and the Norberg remaster. Have not had time to compare with my 70's Capitol reissue LP yet.

No big surprise here - it's no contest. The AAD always seemed kind of lifeless to me, as if it was transferred from tapes that were another generation or two out. The Norberg had slightly better detail but the heavy NR made it sound so dead. Frank sounds like a human on the MFSL, and sonically the orchestra sounds much better - more clarity - than on the AAD or Norberg. Plus the MFSL retains that analog beauty. Another great one from Rob LoVerde & team.

Now the real fun will be to compare the SACD layer with vinyl.

5. MLutthans

Rxcory, which CD are you referring to as the Capitol AAD? Is that the UK boxed set?

....and yes, the MFSL hybrid is stunningly good to my ears, better than I ever thought I'd hear this album.

6. rxcory

I will have to look when I get home for the specifics. I bought it used at a record shop, it came in a jewel case, and I remember it did say "AAD." Probably an early Larry Walsh, since I didn't tag the AIFF file as "Norberg."

7. MLutthans

Hmmm...the Walsh is a remix from the 3-track.

8. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

The Walsh CD (1991) says "AAD."

rxcory likes this.
  9. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

oh i need to hear this one if you say this...

10. DLant

DLant The Upstate Gort Staff

Well, after reading these, I'm certainly going to have to place my order for this SACD.

11. rxcory

Yes, it is the 1991 Larry Walsh AAD. Thanks Bob F!

12. MLutthans

The Walsh may say AAD, but it's a remix, and presumably should read ADD. The UK 1998 disc actually IS an AAD disc.

13. rxcory

Very good to know. I believe why I had thought that the Walsh AAD was lacking 'definition' in the orchestra was because overall it has less bass. This is especially apparent on the opening several bars of "Stormy Weather." Between the lowered bass and the repositioned sound stage of the remix, the AAD can sound tepid at times. In doing a remix from the 'dry' 3-track Walsh also used a little less reverb on Frank's vocals than on the original LP mix, which lessens Frank's presence for someone like me who was used to the original. The Norberg disc is a study in the deleterious effects of noise reduction.

14. DLant

Now that I've obtained the Walsh mastering, and am waiting for the SACD of No One Cares, I will taking the Norberg off to the local shop to "clean up" my collection (same goes for the Norberg version of Only The Lonely...)

rxcory likes this.
  15. rxcory

Just remember that the MFSL "Only The Lonely" is mono. Not to worry though, the mono sounds better than the stereo mix.

16. DLant

Yeah, that was a fantastic b-day gift! I love the mono of that album, never thought I would after only knowing the stereo version. Much like my experience with Where Are You?

17. rxcory

We should both make videos of us beating the Norberg discs with an ax, melting them with a blowtorch, etc. Then post them to yootoob and vote for the best execution.

Seriously, the Norberg discs need to be taken out of circulation so as not to give future generations the appearance that they (a) sound good and (b) were the best of many options. I'm game, and I recon I've got about a dozen Frank and Nat discs that I would be glad to send off to their final resting spot, wherever that may be.

So won't you please join us, in appreciation of MFSL giving us outstanding Frank titles to replace the ones that Norberg sucked all the life out of, with his NoNoise vacuum cleaner. And especially thanks to our beloved host for not only tracking down lost Nat King Cole reels but most importantly for rectifying mixing choices of the past to make Nat sound like he's on this earth with us again, singing in my car, at my home, etc. So once again, destroy your Norberg discs and have somebody upload the video to yootoob. Game on!

18. MLutthans

I found (but did not buy) this super-clean mono copy in a shop in lovely Mt. Vernon, WA. It's a USA-made Canadian pressing, and check out the wildly different matrix info on the two sides. Side one? Made from the very first cut from the master tape in Hollywood. Side two? Cut #33 from the dupe tapes in NYC. Odd pairing, it seems to me.
    NoOneCaresCanadaMonoSide1.jpg NoOneCaresCanadaMonoSide2.jpg

MMM likes this.
  19. DLant

Why no buy?

20. MLutthans

Meh. Not a big fan of the mono on this one, plus I tend to avoid N-cut Capitols, although some sound very nice.

I did pick up a super-minty first UK stereo press of "Songs from Great Britain" and an equally unplayed-looking early mono "Sinatra and Strings."

DLant likes this.
  21. Rackmacko

Rackmacko Active Member

Oh. I'm a fan.

The mono I have sounds gorgeous. My fave of any stereo > mono Sinatra Capitol I have. It sounds so right.

22. DLant

Money well spent!

23. MLutthans

I think that somebody recently unloaded a stash of well-cared-for (as in: not even any spindle marks) "old fart music" to this place, because I could have easily come home with 10 or 12 titles from Cole and Sinatra alone, but you know, how many pressings of the mono, non-slap-back version of RING-A-DING DING do I need? (I think I have nine LP pressings of that album. The one they had is the cleanest copy I've ever seen in person, but I don't need another un-reverbed LP that sounds like it was recorded on a telephone.)

24. McLover

McLover Senior Member

The D3 matrices on both sides, is my go to version. Seems a little bit more focused. Stereo issue.

25. Nathen

Nathen Forum Resident

Thank you for this thread. The MFSL is gorgeous.

DmitriKaramazov, rxcory and MMM like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.