Sinatra / Capitol Sound Quality and General Discussion - "No One Cares" (1959 LP)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MLutthans, Mar 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

Ya. I've been on the fence about No One Cares MFSL.

2. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

I am spinning a nice 9 O clock label mono of this. It is an "N" cut but sounds wonderful to these ears. I played the stunning MFSL SACD last night and this is a nice alternative. I have the silver box version which I think was pretty good too. I was wondering if I should get the newer MOFI LP? You can't have too many copies, right?

rxcory likes this.
  3. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

This and Where Are You? MFSL Lps sound outstanding. I've read in places that Gordon Jenkins gave Sinatra a very lush background and to an extent, I disagree (and take it as a bit of a knock). His work is very intricate and articulate, almost "classical".

4. OldCoder

OldCoder Well-Known Member In Memoriam

The latest set of Sinatra MOFI SACDs and LPs are absolute BARGAINS for the sound quality per dollar.

You really don't want to miss out on them, as we will be very lucky to see their like again.

bozburn and GroovinGarrett like this.
  5. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

From what I've read on this Forum, MFSL has discontinued the Sinatra series. At some point all of them will be OOP.

6. OldCoder

OldCoder Well-Known Member In Memoriam

That's true, sad as it is. Best to get what you want before that happens!

7. aoxomoxoa

In the last two days I played my mono LP, the MOFI sacd, and the silver box LP. Guess I've been in a No One Cares kick!
    The MOFI sacd is the winner for sure but the silver box sounded closer to the original LP in terms if bass and midrange.

RelayerNJ likes this.
  8. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Play that again - unless you have an odd sounding original, the '83 MoFi shouldn't have a similar sound to an original, mono or stereo...and the mono is mixed quite differently from the stereo. Beyond that, the SACD is the first time I've felt like I'm getting the real sound...

9. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

One of the great melancholic albums (great album cover too).

10. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff Thread Starter

11. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

That looks like it's at least in shrink, though it's not stated as such.

People sometimes put 8 tracks in the wrong sleeves. I'd almost say it's a Columbia House tape, but it shouldn't be in that sleeve then. I think Capitol *sometimes* didn't use them at all.

12. MLutthans

Was Capitol doing 2-fer 8-track tapes?

13. aoxomoxoa

14. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

I'm not sure - I never saw one before. I mostly look for quad 8 tracks.

15. Massproductions

Massproductions Forum Resident

I was comparing my Sinatra CD of "No One Cares" with "Here's that rainy Day" to a tape of a friends Jazz radio program to make sure the tape was running at the right speed.

After I got the two synced up, I noticed that the version he used in his broadcast ( from a standard US CD ) was a few seconds longer.

After the instrumental break, just before Sinatra comes back with "Funny...How that rainy day is here" there are about two measures of just strings that are missing on the EMI CD.

That seems strange. Wrong tape used? I thought they used flat dubs of the album masters sent to them by Capitol. CD sounds very good though.

16. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

Which "No One Cares" CD do you have?

17. Ronald Sarbo

Ronald Sarbo Forum Resident

The version of "Here's That Rainy Day" on the Capitol Years 3 CD set is unedited.

18. Massproductions

Massproductions Forum Resident

I have the "no one cares" CD that is part of the very expensive EMI "Capitol Years" box set. It's quite possible my friend was using the "Capitol Years" 3 CD set, as I know he has it, and uses it a lot. So I guess the LP version was an edit.

I was mistaken, the missing bars are actually horns, not strings. I can hear the edit.

19. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

That is correct. About 10 seconds of French horns were edited out of the original LP (and most CD issues, not just the EMI box set). The versions in THE CAPITOL YEARS (US) and THE PLATINUM COLLECTION (UK and Japan) 3-CD sets are unedited.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2015
  20. MLutthans

I picked up an oddball No One Cares LP today, and it sounds surprisingly nice. (My apologies for not cleaning it first, as you'll hear in the clip.) Somebody was "kind" enough to write "6/80" on the back sleeve, so I'm assuming it was purchased in June of 1980. It's a Dutch pressing that says "mono" on the label, but plays in stereo, and very nicely so, catalog number 5C 038-85292. Here's the label for side one:
    R-3188771-1319794763.jpeg.jpg
    Here's a clip: https://app.box.com/s/8lcqn9qx8hj263wund0n6l11tr6mt2cw
    Here's the same passage from the CD layer of the recent MFSL hybrid disc, for comparison: https://app.box.com/s/cywslaarsucc3kcq10x7mpiqsi2y5ua1

This Dutch LP definitely strikes me as being one of the better stereo LP releases I've heard on this title, FWIW. Very nice.

MMM likes this.
  21. MLutthans

From Holland, land of LP fun, another odd twist:

You may recall that a couple weeks back, I received a circa 1980 Dutch LP that said MONO on the label but was, in fact, in stereo. Today, Mr. Postman dropped off a shiny new 1984 Dutch DMM No One Cares, complete with the all-stereo* liner notes, artwork, etc., borrowed from the then-concurrent UK release, but this Dutch LP is 100% MONOPHONIC.

If you're a fan of the mono mix, I can pretty much guarantee you that this is the ONLY cut to ever be made without a limiter/compressor in the chain. This one has fully-open, unfettered dynamics, and it's the original mono mix.

Catalog #1A 038 26 0141 1. Awesome piece of vinyl, and it even includes THE ONE I LOVE as a bonus at the end of side two. (I haven't checked yet to see which version it is, but regardless, wouldn't this be the only mono release? I wonder if that track might be a fold-down????? I'll investigate when I can.)

Here's the waveform for all of side one, and you will never, ever see dynamics like this in a 1950s/1960s mono LP for this title:
    Screen shot 2015-04-04 at 4.46.18 PM.png
    and here's a clip from the title track: https://app.box.com/s/0axkj0yl52w3meyuvxuk872rycnkw1p7

*Edit: Actually, both the UK and Dutch 1984 editions use the mono front cover, and both say STEREO on the rear cover. The UK uses the original stereo mix; the Dutch is mono.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2015
  22. MLutthans

Re: The One I Love (Belongs to Somebody Else)

Going way back to 2010 and the no-longer-uploaded comparison pages for No One Cares:

Here is a 45-second clip from the 1984 mono DMM Dutch LP, and again, unless I'm mistaken, this is the first and only release of THE ONE I LOVE in its mono mix, correct? (Maybe I'm forgetting a previous mono release????) It uses the intercut version, with the word "HOLD" inserted, so....was the edit made directly to the 3-track tape? And the mono mix made from the 3-track tape? In 1959? Or 1984?

Anyway, here's a clip: https://app.box.com/s/uwedupkq5mi4rjev0vi1ro5bq2zzkjcj

Last edited: Apr 5, 2015
    Bob Belvedere and rangerjohn like this.
  23. MLutthans

Test pressing of this stereo edition is currently on Ebay. Here are photos, saved here for posterity:
    999800C281CA462F97DDD39B155EB5E3.jpg D8456DB2BC1648C6A5D3C0683E423457.jpg 74807EE7324F44FFB9CD3C99CDD7C0C2.jpg $_57-1.JPG

rangerjohn and MMM like this.
  24. aoxomoxoa

Is that a MOFI test press or something different?

25. MLutthans

It's a test press of the stereo edition pictured in post #96.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2015
    aoxomoxoa likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.