Sinatra / Capitol Sound Quality and General Discussion - "No One Cares" (1959 LP)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MLutthans, Mar 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Sorry I was skimming through to fast. I see that you already said that!

MLutthans likes this.
  2. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff Thread Starter

Hmmmm...I received the recent No One Cares MFSL LP today (purchased from @aoxomoxoa -- thanks), and am happy to see that it includes the complete liner notes on the rear cover, while the MFSL SACD is missing the last paragraph.

FashionBoy, rangerjohn and DLant like this.
  3. Trevor_Bartram

Trevor_Bartram Senior Member

Which is the best regular CD version Larry Walsh remix or UK original? Could you please provide links or catalog numbers, I seem to be having trouble locating these CDs at Amazon. Thanks!

4. rangerjohn

rangerjohn Forum Resident

Here's a respected opinion around these parts:

http://www.11fifty.com/Site_108/Capitol_Scorecard_2.html

5. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Assuming that by "UK original" you mean the version in the 21-CD box set Sinatra: The Capitol Years, it's available only as part of that out-of-print box. The Larry Walsh CD is the one available separately in the UK today; see this p0st for link and barcode no.:

—> Frank Sinatra - Best Sounding CDs?

Both are very good, but the "best" version is probably the MFSL hybrid SACD, which uses the original stereo mix.

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  6. MLutthans

Abso-posi-lutely.
    :righton:

Bob F likes this.
  7. Trevor_Bartram

Thanks, both links were useful and I found a few other Sinatra albums to complete my collection!

DmitriKaramazov and Bob F like this.
  8. Trevor_Bartram

I received the Walsh No One Cares from Amazon and I'm really enjoying it.

DmitriKaramazov and DLant like this.
  9. MLutthans

Hmmmmmm.......more fun with Dutch pressings, with a "thank you" to @mahanusafa02 !

You may recall this strange one from just over a years ago, regarding a Dutch pressing that reads STEREO on the rear of the sleeve, and MONO on the labels, but plays the original stereo mix:
    [​IMG]
    Here's a follow-up post, from 366 days ago (sorry I missed the one-year anniversary date by a day on this one):
    [​IMG]
    To add to the fun....mahanusafa02 recently purchased a 1984 Dutch DMM LP with identical STEREO packaging (including the same catalog number) to my mono copy, but his is (wait for it......) STEREO!

So, we have two identical-looking covers for two copies of the 1984 Dutch DMM pressing, but mahanusafa02's copy has this deadwax and is in STEREO:
    2601411-A1+D
    2601411-B1+D

My copy of that same DMM release has this deadwax info and uses the MONO mix:
    1852921-A1+D
    1852921-B2+D

Again, that's for two 1984 Dutch DMM pressings, both catalog number 1A 038-26 0141 1, both carrying the STEREO logos (etc.) on the rear cover, but one pressing is stereo and the other is mono.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To add to the fun: I also have that non-DMM Dutch LP (at the top of this post), catalog #5C 038-85292, that, I think, is from 1980 or so. It, too, uses the STEREO-centric rear cover art and is a STEREO pressing, but the labels (errantly) read "MONO." The weird thing? Check out that catalog number. It has "85292" in it, as does the deadwax (but not the catalog number) on my mono 1984 Dutch DMM pressing.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To add to the fun even more: You may recall that over in the COME FLY WITH ME thread, we had a similar situation with the 1984 Dutch DMM release, or should I say, "releases," meaning: John has a 1984 Dutch DMM *MONO* pressing, while I have a 1984 Dutch DMM *stereo* pressing, with identical cover art (all stere0-based) and identical catalog numbers, but one is mono and the other is stereo.

MMM, rangerjohn and mahanusafa02 like this.
  10. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

I wonder if one was a mistake, and they mastered it again with the mix that wasn't the mistake, though both got into circulation. Or there was a deliberate change in mix, but the copy wasn't changed with it.

mahanusafa02 and MLutthans like this.
  11. mahanusafa02

mahanusafa02 Forum Resident

I just found out today that Point of No Return received the same treatment. There was a Dutch DMM mono version from 1984 as well; deadwax info as follows--side one: 2601771-A2+D, side two: 2601771-B2+C.

12. MLutthans

:bigeek:

Do you have a copy?

13. mahanusafa02

14. MLutthans

From his seller listing:
    <<Matrix side one: 2601771-A2+D, side two: 2601771-B2+C. It is written Stereo no sleeve and mono on record label!!!>>

That's identical matrix info to my stereo label version.

15. mahanusafa02

This is truly bizarre. I've asked the seller if he could play test it for mono or stereo. But it's probably stereo...? I guess we'll see (or not).

MLutthans likes this.
  16. aza14782

aza14782 Forum Resident

Just snagged the recent MFSL for a cool 15 bucks on eBay! I really do like my original mono compared to the stereo, but I'm sure this MFSL will be a treat!

I have to say this is such underrated album. NOC was the first "real" Sinatra I ever listened to. "Real" in the sense that I got passed the greatest hits comps and actually bought a real album. Honestly I bought it for the cover (having no prior knowledge of the album), and wow what a cover it is. Got home with my fairly scratched up copy of NOC, cleaned it up and took it for a spin. For the most part, I only buy albums in real nice condition because I really find it distracting when there's noise and pops, but again, I saw the cover and had to have it. After the opening song that was it, I was hooked. Even through all the pops and clicks I absolutely fell in love with this album. Now having listened to the whole discography (or at least the vast majority of it), I still come back to this album time and time again.

It paints a darker, but more importantly, more detailed picture than any of his other works IMO. Now I'm not the best at putting things into words, but it's as if the whole album is layered with "things in the night" sounds. The thumping of the bass in Where Do You Go? or in some of the other songs the strings so sharp they pierce right through you. Jenkins really put his signature sound even on some songs I wouldn't have thought of as being "stringy" works. You also notice Sinatra's voice changing. Maybe it's just me or maybe it's the nature of the songs he sang, but I find his voice hits a deeper register than he had before, yet still keeping the ease he's always had through the rest of the notes.

His very next album, Nice n Easy you can begin to notice the decline of his voice. NnE is still a fantastic album and I don't mean it in a sense of "beginning of the end" for Sinatra, but his work from SFYL to NOC is pretty much top notch no matter which way you look at it. With Nice n Easy it's not that his voice started to sound bad, but you could hear when he would try and hit certain notes that it just wasn't the same. Where before it came with ease, now started to sound strained in some places.

Regardless, in my eyes this is an absolute first rate album that doesn't get the credit it should. Another fantastic, albeit different but still underrated album is Close To You. The only knock I have against that one is that the cover really sucks. No other way to put it. It really doesn't do the album justice.

Now I know there are only so many hours in the day:laugh:, but @MLutthans I would love to learn more about this album through one of your in depth pages. Anyone for that matter, if you know something, please! It's one of my favourite albums yet I know next to nothing about it.

17. MLutthans

All in due time, if we all live long enough!

As far as that change you hear in NICE 'n' EASY....them's fightin' words! I got in a bit of trouble for saying that in another thread titled "Post the album that marked the beginning of the decline for that artist.."
    (emphasis, for me, on the word "beginning"):

Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
    bozburn likes this.
  18. aza14782

aza14782 Forum Resident

Great minds think alike? I still like Nice n Easy, along with a bunch of the rest of the 60s output but you definitely put it best with the "chink in the armor" line. I think it's a testament to how high his 50s peak was when you can call fantastic albums like Sinatra Basie or Sinatra Jobim "second rate" albums.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
    McLover and MLutthans like this.
  19. MLutthans

I like all that stuff, too.

20. rangerjohn

rangerjohn Forum Resident

Some terrific vocal performances by FS on NOC (Rainy Day, Cottage, Ghost, etc.). But I find Jenkins's arrangements terribly overbearing (especially Stormy Weather).

21. bozburn

bozburn Forum Resident

One day while checking out at Wuxtry Records in Decatur, GA, I spent 20 minutes talking with the store owner. He's the only Sinatra aficionado I've had the pleasure of talking with in person around here. I actually brought up your post, Matt, and he seemed shocked at such an analysis. After 2 or 3 minutes, I had him convinced. It's a compelling argument.

MLutthans and aza14782 like this.
  22. roda12

roda12 WATERTOWN FOREVER

Great album. Just listened to it after not hearing it for years and re-discovered it again. Nice experience after being a Sinatra fan for 34 years now. It never occured to me before, but the whole album sounds like a classic Jackie Gleason Capitol album. The same mood, sound, tempo, atmosphere. It's a nice glimpse how a Sinatra/Gleason album collaboration could have sounded like. Even the choice of songs matches the Gleason albums. Coincidence or purpose???

23. teag

teag Forum Resident

Is it the new (2011) remaster you listened to? If you love this album and you don't have it, get the MFSL remaster before you can't! They are pressing no more from what I understand. Or, get the companion MFSL CD/SACD hybrid if you prefer digital. Highly rated in sound quality by all.

rxcory likes this.
  24. DABarrios

DABarrios Forum Resident

I respect your work and have been following your Sinatra Album Comparison Pages for years now, but I do have to disagree with you in terms of using the phrase, "Decline." A "decline," can mean certain things. I agree that some of the albums really became slip-shod throughout the early 1960's. But I think you have to give him more credit for Sinatra & Strings and The Concert Sinatra, two of his finest efforts ever. Then you've got the magnificent first collaboration with Basie and September of My Years. Two album's worth of material from Jobim, a criminally underrated collab with Ellington (save for that awful climax at the end of Come Back With Me), and of course, Watertown.

He was not as consistent after that. I'd say if any album truly marked Sinatra's decline, it'd be something like Softly, As I Leave Yo.

Even stuff like Sinatra & Swingin' Brass was listenable from start to end. None of the albums he made between 1953 to, say, 1964-1965 have material that is cringe-worthy. But then you start seeing dreck like, "Pass Me By," and poorly conceived records like Softly, As I Leave You, That's Life, etc. That's where it really becomes problematic: when concepts for his records started slipping away.

Of course, there are a few songs on That's Life or SAILY that are worth visiting but you can tell that Sinatra is unfocussed, worried about commercial gain.

mahanusafa02 likes this.
  25. MLutthans

I have absolutely zero issue with anybody disagreeing with me, and you and have have been "e-pals" (for lack of a better term for people who have never actually met) and will continue to be so! :)

I trust that anybody interested has actually read my original post -- with full context and explanation of my take on things. Here it is, with some parts that specifically apply to comments/rebuttals made by @DABarrios now bolded, just to make sure that we are all on the same page, and to point out that (IMO) we are largely in agreement. I view the albums in blue to be pretty-much flawless albums, including No One Cares. The blue and green lists below compare two consecutive 6-year periods, 1953-1959 and 1960-1966.
    From my post on the topic, nearly two years ago:
    My main point in that whole thing is summed up in one sentence, which I'll re-assert here: <<The quantity is high, and there's a large amount of fantastic stuff in that '60-'66 period, but in terms of quality on the whole, I don't see how it begins to hold up to the 1953-1959 time period.>>

de·cline/dəˈklīn/
    noun

1. a gradual and continuous loss of strength, numbers, quality, or value.
    Strength: 1953-1959 wins, although 1960-1966 is still very good, with far less consistency.
    Numbers: ~258 officially released tracks recorded 1953-1959; ~306 during the 1960-1966 time period.
    Quality, on the whole:
    No argument from me on that one -- and I love that stuff from the early '60s!
    Value: Average length of 12" LPs, 1953-1959: 12.27 songs and, I'm guessing, around 39 minutes; 1960-1966: 11.13 songs and, I'm guessing, an average running time of 31 minutes.

As far as that textbook definition goes, we can debate that all day, I suppose. I think of it this way:
    Screen shot 2016-12-12 at 4.23.49 PM.png
    IMO, by the time we hit WEE SMALL HOURS, we've got Sinatra's recording career firing on all cylinders and then some, and he rides VERY HIGH for several years thereafter. (In fact, I would say that the overall trajectory from Wee Small Hours to No One Cares roughly mirrors the trajectory from Nice 'n' Easy to It Might as Well Be Swing -- opposite directions, but with a very subtle slope.

To me, the BEGINNING of the decline took hold during that long hiatus from recording at Capitol (10 months) in 1959, and the emotional/attitudinal stink that arose from it. There was some great stuff that followed (that bears repeating -- I love the stuff that followed), but I don't see any run of albums that compares with the Capitol albums from 1953-1959: Great songs, great arrangements, great SOUND, great themes (something that is sorely lacking on many Reprise projects), great (unparalleled in vocal pop music?) consistency. If the projects that followed do not live up to that, are they not, by definition, a step down, regardless of how good they may still be?

Again: I love the stuff that comes after 1959! LOOOOOOOOOOOOVE IT! That said, if I had to pinpoint a beginning point, I view that break after NO ONE CARES as the beginning of a decline, and having twenty years on a generally-upward swing (in terms of recordings, and with a few bumps along the road) is a heck of a run, to put it mildly. Most "artists" have a trajectory that doesn't begin to approach Sinatra's!

Last edited: Dec 12, 2016
    McLover, bozburn, jtaylor and 7 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.