Sinatra / Capitol Sound Quality (and general discussion): Singles, Soundtracks, Etc.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MLutthans, Aug 10, 2013.

1. teag

teag Forum Resident

SFYL from the mfsl box is one of the best, if not the best, mono records of Franks I have ever heard. In the room!

And I have plenty.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
    Tommyboy likes this.
  2. sandmountainslim1

sandmountainslim1 Vicar Of Fonz

Found the Swing Easy-SFYL grey label LP today AND "This Is Sinatra" :) I had the Swing Easy-SFYL CD already but had been looking for the LP. Great condition at a used record store.

3. Paul99

Paul99 Forum Resident

What is the consensus on this box set? Ive read it maybe taken from the 21 cd uk box set from 1998. Anyone have any info? Thanks
    [​IMG]

sandmountainslim1 likes this.
  4. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Definitely not. I checked:

Frank Sinatra new (EU/unlicensed) 16 album CD boxed set The Capitol Years 1953-62*

That thread is closed (@MLutthans: why?), but here is an excerpt from my post:

Ridin'High, paulmock and Simon A like this.
  5. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff Thread Starter

6. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

MLutthans likes this.
  7. Paul99

Paul99 Forum Resident

Interesting. There is only a few reviews on amazon but one of them goes into detail about how good the sound is. He goes into detail about the first issued Larry Walsh cds and the Bob Norberg "Entertainer of the Century" transfers. I usually dont take amazon reviews that seriously but he seems to know his stuff. The review is from February 6, 2016. Check it out. So are you saying this set is horrible sounding? Thanks for your help
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OAF8D3C/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=AP3VA1GJZM3EQ&psc=1

sandmountainslim1 likes this.
  8. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

@Paul99: I can contradict much of that Amazon review, but I’ve already done that elsewhere. I suggest you read through all of the earlier thread (and post there, since it’s now been reopened). I cannot recommend this 12-CD British box set. The price is nice, but sometimes you get what you pay for.

MLutthans, TeacFan and paulmock like this.
  9. roda12

roda12 WATERTOWN FOREVER

Bought "The hit maker" today - now wait for this- bought it for 5 Euros!!! Crazy!!!!

mahanusafa02 likes this.
  10. MLutthans

You got a deal, my friend!

roda12 likes this.
  11. wvk3

wvk3 Senior Member

There must be something in the air. I just came home from a record store in Brooklyn that specializes in Japanese imports. Got a pristine copy of "The Hit Maker" for $15!

roda12, MLutthans, paulmock and 2 others like this.
  12. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

Well done! There's nothing like getting a Pristine Fifteen... :)

wvk3 likes this.
  13. Paul99

Paul99 Forum Resident

I ended up getting The Capitol Years 3 cd set. Paid less then 5 bucks total for it too! I already have a few of the Larry Walsh mastered cds of some of the capitol albums but i wanted a good overview of the time period. I haven't listened to it yet but the song selection looks great.

Tommyboy and TeacFan like this.
  14. MLutthans

From what I believe to be an in-house Capitol publication, notice of the first Sinatra recording at Capitol, Lean Baby:
    Header.jpg
    LeanBabyArticle.jpg

15. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I have a question regarding The Lady Is A Tramp. According to the liner notes of the Capitol Years CD set, the track that was used for the set is an alternate to the recording that was issued on the Pal Joey soundtrack LP. Which is the better performance? I’ve never heard the Pal Joey version. Thanks!

16. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

They are the identical take, except for the very ending where the word “Tramp” is sung.

The ending on the 1957 Pal Joey “soundtrack” album is (believed to be) an intercut, with “Tramp” sung abruptly short instead of stretched out as in The Capitol Years 3-CD set from 1990. The latter “long” ending was first released on a 1958 EP and the 1962 LP Frank Sinatra Sings Rodgers and Hart.

Both versions have appeared somewhat randomly in compilations over the years, but the difference is minimal.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
    Record Rotator, Simon A and Tommyboy like this.
  17. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Thanks Bob!

Bob F likes this.
  18. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

P.S. This is the Pal Joey version, with the short ending:

And the unedited version with the long ending may be found here:

The Lady Is A Tramp - YouTube

19. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Thanks again Bob. Is the Pal Joey version with the short ending also on the 1988 CD of Swing Easy? I bought that copy a few months ago.

Bob F likes this.
  20. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Yes, if you mean the 1991 A Swingin’ Affair! CD (mastered by Larry Walsh). The Capitol recording was intended originally for that album, but it was held off for use on the Pal Joey LP. The CD restored it as a bonus track.

Simon A and Tommyboy like this.
  21. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Yup, that’s it.

22. roda12

roda12 WATERTOWN FOREVER

I believe the cut was made on "That's why the lady is a tramp" not only the word tramp. Sinatra sings a different melody on the last line

Bob F likes this.
  23. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

I didn’t mean to imply otherwise. The two versons appear to diverge at 3 minutes (about 15 seconds before the end of the track). The length of the final “tramp” is just the easiest way to differentiate.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
    roda12 likes this.
  24. MLutthans

Also, regarding the 1962 (long "traaaaaaaamp") version, even the fantastic The Capitol Years set used the wrong (reverb-added) tapes. From here:
    For that edit, the only US releases to be sourced from the correct tapes are 1.) The original 1958 EP, which is hampered by compression added during disk mastering; and 2.) The Time-Life 2-LP set, Legendary Singers, which sounds fantastic. Here's a clip: http://www.11fifty.com/Site_108/1956_-_SinglesEtc28_files/TrampClipTimeLife-GAIN_01.wav

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
    Simon A and Bob F like this.
  25. Ronald Sarbo

Ronald Sarbo Forum Resident

Although some continue to disagree more evidence of "Lean Baby" being the "A" side.