Sinatra / Capitol Sound Quality and General Discussion: Songs for Swingin' Lovers - Released 1956*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MLutthans, Dec 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

Do you know if the Mastered for iTunes version uses the correct tapes or not? I think it sounds fantastic. I have the UMe vinyl too, but I haven't done a close comparison.

2. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Based on reports by others, I suspect that most of the (few) Sinatra MFiT's are based on the same tapes as the new UMe LPs and hi-res downloads.

CBackley likes this.
  3. CBackley

I've downloaded them all except for Great Songs from Great Britain (as I plan to get the London set at some point). They all sound great to me...but my only point of comparison is the Norberg mastered discs. Even as a newbie I can tell those stink.

MarkusGermany likes this.
  4. CBackley

I just got the MFSL SACD today (along with a few others). Holy cow! This is fantastic! I love it. And I'm only listening to the redbook layer. I need to get my old SACD player out of the closet!

MMM likes this.
  5. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

More discussion about the two different jacket covers, reposted from another thread,
    Listening to on Vinyl (Part 306) :
    Actually, the original cover (with Frank facing away from the swingin' lovers) preceded 'The Man with the Golden Arm'. It was based on a Capitol session photo for the 'In the Wee Small Hours' album, taken February 8, 1955. The movie was filmed between September and November 1955. The sessions for (all but one of) the 'Songs for Swingin' Lovers!' album tracks were in January 1956.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

[ continued next post... ]

6. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

I'm not sure if we've ever pinned it down (@MLutthans or @jtaylor ?), but it may have been from another Wee Small Hours session, Feb. 16–17 or Mar. 4, 1955. [See: Sinatra / Capitol Sound Quality and General Discussion: In the Wee Small Hours (1955)* post #802.] In fact, the BACK covers of both Wee Small Hours and Swingin' Lovers have photos which may originate from that same session.

Another possibility is the session of March 7, 1955, with the Nuggets:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Whatever the exact session date, it appears that both the "facing away" and "facing toward" covers were from contemporaneous photos made months before the Golden Arm movie or the Swingin' Lovers album.

Simon A and Arkoffs like this.
  7. Ronald Sarbo

Ronald Sarbo Forum Resident

The first cover had Sinatra looking like a Rabbi officiating at a Jewish wedding.

8. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

I'm sure he would have been the Cantor, not the Rabbi.

Arkoffs likes this.
  9. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Those pictures are from March 7th are in Melrose Studio C. The back cover photos for WEE SMALL HOURS and SWINGIN' LOVERS! (seen on the SESSION WITH SINATRA Capitol EP) were taken in Melrose Studio A. The February 16 session, with the medium sized orchestra, was in "C", while February 17 and March 4 sessions with the large orchestra were in "A".

Arkoffs and Bob F like this.
  10. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

That's my bet for the date of the second SFSL cover image. This was the date of the single recordings, "If I Had Three Wishes," "How Could You Do a Thing Like That to Me," "Two Hearts, Two Kisses" and "From the Bottom to the Top"—three days after the last ITWSH session.

As @W.B. mentioned, the mirror image of the second photo is very close to the one on the album cover. It's not the same (Frank's jacket is unbuttoned), but the tie knot and shirt collar are a close match.

Arkoffs likes this.
  11. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I know, I hate that pic. I still wish they had used the other for the mfsl cover. Most disagree with me on that though.

12. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

If you want historical accuracy for the artwork (to match the mastering), you have to go with the original version.

Capitol did not always make the best choices. They blew it big time with 'Close to You'; I'd bet its cover had a lot to do with that album's relatively poor sales.

Arkoffs and paulmock like this.
  13. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I know. But I still dont like the cover. And Close To You is pretty bad also.

If mfsl could finish what they started or were allowed Id take the sacd hybrids in a plain white wrapper though.

Jimijam, Arkoffs, Mr. H and 1 other person like this.
  14. Ronald Sarbo

Ronald Sarbo Forum Resident

Have to disagree about "Close To You". It's an actual photo and not a painting. And it shows Sinatra in the act of singing.

Simon A and DmitriKaramazov like this.
  15. teag

teag Forum Resident

Agree. Certainly better than Swingin' Lovers. Using pictures of models on covers seems strange although very common back then. See several Nat King Cole covers as an example.

16. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Not to get into an off-topic philosophical debate, but it also shows his receding hairline, and the exposure is too dark.

paulmock likes this.
  17. Tom Campbell

Tom Campbell Forum Resident

Yeah, it's a dark and kinda dreary cover. Not something that would attract buyers to grab it off the shelf.

Bob F likes this.
  18. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff Thread Starter

Here's my guess (nothing more):

I think the revised SFSL cover is a composite, with the torso being a "further evolution" of this shot from the WEE SMALL HOURS sessions:

Screen shot 2017-06-14 at 11.02.02 AM.jpg Screen shot 2017-06-14 at 11.04.40 AM.png
    Note the loosened tie and collar, and the pocket square.

If this was done in a hurry, I would not rule out the possibility that Capitol contacted the artist, told him what was needed, and he delivered in short order. May even be the same artist on SFSL and ITWSH. (Do we know? I forget....)

For the face, it could be a composite and/or have plenty of artistic license. I wouldn't rule out these as "inspirations," at least:
    Screen shot 2017-06-14 at 11.11.05 AM.png Screen shot 2017-06-14 at 11.15.37 AM.png
    Screen shot 2017-06-14 at 11.17.12 AM.png
    I'm thinking there's also something on an EP cover that may resemble this, but that may just be the wacky weed talkin'.

19. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff Thread Starter

Another possibility for the torso shot?
    [​IMG] FRANK_SINATRA_SESSION+WITH+SINATRA+EP+-+ROUND+CENTRE-376988.jpg

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  20. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

uDiscover Music: The 20 Best Pop Albums Ever

"Talk About Pop Music" on June 22, 2017:
    (That last word should be "dueted," I'm sure.)

21. CBackley

If they had dusted, that would have been cool also.

22. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Or dueled. Or dieted.

23. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Or debated! (This is getting silly...) :agree:

24. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

I was trying to stick to single-letter mistypes (common occurrence on iPads). ;)

25. roda12

roda12 WATERTOWN FOREVER

The 2016 Ume Swingin lovers vinyl is pure heaven!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.