Sinatra / Capitol Sound Quality and General Discussion: Songs for Young Lovers, rel. 1954*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MLutthans, Nov 21, 2009.

1. dayday

dayday Senior Member

thanks for the tip! i love the way they did that sleeve. never would've occured to me that it could damage the vinyl.

TLMusic likes this.
  2. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

Yes, those heavy card inner sleeves are notorious for destroying vinyl, in my experience. Although they look so nice and substantial, the opening edges are sharp, and the insides can easily become sandpaper if any dirt gets in them. There are many iconic 70s albums like Aja, Physical Graffiti and Wish You Were Here for which mint vinyl copies basically don't exist, because they were originally packed in heavy card inners.

If you cannot find 10" poly lined inner sleeves, you can substitute a regular 12" rice paper MoFi type inner and fold the corners. That will protect the vinyl much more safely than trying to reinsert it directly back into the heavy card scratch monster.

dayday and colormesinatra like this.
  3. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

I took a 12" sleeve cut it down and used a glue stick to stick it back together, it now looks as though it's a specifically designed poly lined 10" inner sleeve.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2015
    TLMusic, mikrt17 and Simon A like this.
  4. colormesinatra

colormesinatra Forum Resident

Can someone provide the UPC for the MFP CD? I finally want to purchase it! Thanks!

5. DLant

DLant The Upstate Gort Staff

[​IMG]

Simon A and TLMusic like this.
  6. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

^^^ Thanks, Dustin. Although I sometimes feel like chopped liver :D :

—> Re: The MFP CD of SWING EASY! + SONGS FOR YOUNG LOVERS

As noted in that post, the UPC alone is unreliable. It's the same as the US Reprise (Larry Walsh) CD.

Bob Belvedere, DLant and Simon A like this.
  7. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

Ain't nothin' wrong with chopped liver Bob! :winkgrin:

Bob Belvedere, DLant and Bob F like this.
  8. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Ok, but there is something wrong with depending on UPC bar codes. See my added note above.

Bob Belvedere, Simon A and DLant like this.
  9. DLant

I figured I'd take a photo of the entire thing rather than just type the number in. Gotta have those visual aids.

Bob F likes this.
  10. Bob Belvedere

Bob Belvedere Forum Resident

It's all right, Bob: I'm chopped liver, too...

[​IMG]

...and chopped liver has no feelings, so it's all good.

11. Tina_UK

Tina_UK Forum Resident

I don't feel ripped off, I paid the price they are now asking for in Amazon, I guess I was one of the lucky ones.
    Bob, c'mon you're not that.....Offal :D

jimdavies111 and Bob Belvedere like this.
  12. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Tina just taught me a new word, and I think I'll skip lunch today. I should have said, sometimes I feel like Rodney Dangerfield.

13. Tina_UK

Tina_UK Forum Resident

Well Bob, looks like I taught you something today, makes a change LOL!

Then again I'm not sure I know who Rodney Dangerfield is o_O

Bob Belvedere and Simon A like this.
  14. profholt82

profholt82 Resident Blowhard

[​IMG]

Bob Belvedere, Bob F, DLant and 2 others like this.
  15. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Exactly. :D

16. DLant

Well I found a sealed copy of this RSD release, should arrive early next week. I'm really looking forward to it.

17. bozburn

bozburn Forum Resident

Likewise! Mine arrives about the same time.

Speculation: For RSD Black Friday this November, we'll get Swing Easy in the same 10" format to match.

Bob F, colormesinatra and DLant like this.
  18. DLant

[​IMG]

I'm blown away.

19. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff Thread Starter

Probably seen before by many, but here's an alternate from the original photo shoot:
    SinatraSFYL Alternate.jpg

20. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

That alternate photo and the (pre-airbrush) cover shot may be seen in sharp detail at —> Getty Images.

If you zoom in at the top of those photos, you can see hanging curtains and lights. The Getty captions claim these are movie stills, but Jordan (@jtaylor) has suggested they may have been taken on the stage at Capitol's Melrose Ave. studios?

I wonder where that lamppost is today?

Last edited: Aug 17, 2015
  21. bozburn

bozburn Forum Resident

I've had my copy of the RSD2015 10" LP sealed since May, but decided a few nights ago to open it up and enjoy it on my new turntable, rather than keep it sealed. And boy, do I not regret it. Frank comes through crystal-clear in analog bliss. This is an excellent release, and I hope future Sinatra releases will sound this great!

[​IMG]

Ere, Richard--W, DLant and 6 others like this.
  22. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff Thread Starter

There was some discussion about the original 10" artwork in another thread, so I thought I'd post what (little) I know (or what I *think* I know, at least), and maybe others can chime in with info/corrections.

To my knowledge, the original 10" artwork did not include the "CAPITOL RECORDS HIGH FIDELITY RECORDING" badge under the Capitol logo in the upper right corner. Here's an example:
    R-8363781-1460152718-4395.jpeg.jpg
    At some later point, possibly after the switch from AES phono EQ to NAB phono EQ, the HIGH FIDELITY badge was added, but as a sticker, not as part of any revised, printed cover art:
    s-l1600-26.jpg
    Note that the HIGH FIDELITY indicator is clearly a sticker, and not printed on the surface:
    s-l1600-26b.jpg

At some point, HIGH FIDELITY was actually printed within the artwork (not a sticker), but at a markedly smaller size:
    R-2452924-1335699354.jpeg.jpg

Here's the recent 10" LP cover, for comparison:
    [​IMG]

MMM, bozburn, Simon A and 3 others like this.
  23. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

You guys are killing me with the photos. Now I'm going to amazon to spend money I don't have.

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  24. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

25. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Nice photos. Out of my pile of copies, I have noted that some clearly showed evidence of peeling off of that sticker, while others showed almost microscopic evidence of peeling. I bet all of us have peeled price stickers with varying degrees of success, sometimes perfectly clean. I wonder if obsessed collectors in 1953-1954 peeled it the first day.