Sinatra / Capitol Sound Quality and General Discussion: "Where Are You?" (1957 album)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MLutthans, Jan 13, 2010.

1. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff Thread Starter

Already hashed out here, accompanied by audio clips:
    <<The first CD release of Where Are You was in 1988 on a Japanese disc, catalog #CP28-5779, pictured above, which used the original 2-track mix. Additional releases followed:

•Larry Walsh mastered a Capitol release in 1991, remixed from the 3-track session tapes. As far as I can tell, the tracks that were used in 1990’s The Capitol Years set, produced painstakingly from original tapes by Ron Furmanek, were “lifted” from that set and re-used here, causing me to wonder if Furmanek and Walsh may have transferred all of the extant 3-track tapes for the album while working on The Capitol Years, anticipating a then-forthcoming CD issue of the entire LP, but this is strictly speculation. Regardless, the title track appears to be an exact clone in both the 1990 box set and this individual CD release. Note: This release is a remix, and either intentionally or by accident, the orchestral left and right channels are reversed when compared to all other stereo releases. Typically, the first violins are to the conductor’s left, but on this mix only, they appear on the right, so I suspect this was in error.

•The Walsh version was eventually phased out and replaced by a newly-mastered version engineered by Bob Norberg in 1998. (I think this one used the original mix, but it is so heavily processed as to make it tough to tell.)

•In Britain, another mastering was included in the 21-disc boxed set. Like the Japanese release, this release was created from the original mix, not a remix, although the mastering is unique.>>

Same Walsh remix on both; the levels may be a little tweaked. This also points out the problem with looking at DR numbers without listening and context. (My dad used to hate car dashboards that had "dummy lights" on them. He always bemoaned the lack of gauges that actually related information about things like oil pressure. The DR numbers are basically like a dummy light. They serve a purpose, but at a very "shorthand" level.) Here are DR ratings from the DR database for the 1988 version:
    Screen shot 2015-01-27 at 12.33.46 PM.png
    Here are the ratings for the 1991 CD. Note that I am only showing the first 12 tracks, so we have apples versus apples (sort of):
    Screen shot 2015-01-27 at 12.33.24 PM.png
    Now...maybe track one got adjusted by half a decibel or something and that triggered a 14 instead of a 13; I dunno. It's the same. Also, that much lower "Min. track DR" is from one of the bonus tracks, not from the 12 album tracks.

Both are those titles are Walsh masterings, yes.

Bob F likes this.
  2. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

Thanks for all the detailed reply.

As you posted the DR numbers for the 2 Nice 'n' Easy release...I was looking more at the peak and RMS values. Often time I notice a difference but the 2 values will retain a proportional change. These vary as they don't maintain a simple lowering or increasing of 'volume'. So it makes me think there's been more tweaking and an offering of more information than just a 'dummy light'.

If one disc, for a given track,has say -1.00 as the peak and the RMS at -14.00, then I can safely assume the same mastering but slight tweaking if the 2nd disc shows -.50db(peak) and -13.50db(RMS). But if that first (peak) value goes to -.50db and the RMS goes to -10.67, then I realize it's been compressed more even with the peaks not increasing proportionally with the RMS.

I'm sure I'm not really offering something you don't already know...but I just wanted you to know where I'm coming from. Thanks for your patience and information.

I don't always judge the sound of a cd by the DR values but like to compare masterings with the numbers. I believe the DR values (peak and RMS) serve a better more detailed analysis than the EAC peaks posters often post here. I'll see someone do an EAC thing...and show 100%, 96.5%, 80.3% etc....whereas the DR will also show, for instance, that first 100% track as 0.00 db or 'over' where the EAC won't show that. Plus I get the 0.00db AND the say.....-13.45db showing the RMS for an added comparative statistic.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
  3. MLutthans

(Let's shift the Nice 'n' Easy discussion to the Nice 'n' Easy thread, here.)

4. MLutthans

5. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

6. MLutthans

Thanks, Bob. Since that Ebay page will eventually disappear, I'm posting the info here for posterity:

Bob F likes this.
  7. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

March 15, 1999 was the correct date of the artist's death.

From —> Obituaries in the News (AP News Archive), published March 19, 1999:

Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
  8. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Of course, Jim Jonson's work on the WHERE ARE YOU? cover involved merely colorizing an existing photograph, taken in the then-new Capitol Tower during recording for FRANK SINATRA CONDUCTS TONE POEMS OF COLOR:

[​IMG]

Jonson also painted the cover of COME FLY WITH ME (uncredited) and possibly other Capitol LPs. Much more impressive is his cover for the Reprise LP SINATRA AND SWINGIN' BRASS, for which he did receive credit on the album.

CBackley and bozburn like this.
  9. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

10. MLutthans

Just curious: Anybody have this Australian pressing? Very cool label and cover!
    SinatraWhereAreYou$(KGrHqUOKikE33njz(0nBOK+bgubLw~~_12.JPG SinatraWhereAreYouAussieFront.JPG SinatraWhereAreYouAussieRear.png

EDIT: Speaking of Australian pressings, I recently found and ordered a copy of this stereo version:
    R-5965851-1407595112-8439.jpeg.jpg
    Very curious to hear this one. SFF has it listed as an 11-track LP, but both discogs.com and the seller listed it as 12-track.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2015
    McLover and CBackley like this.
  11. JimSav

JimSav Well-Known Member

You're selling the man short there, Bob. He performed the most successful hair transplant Sinatra ever had.

McLover, CBackley and Simon A like this.
  12. MLutthans

Has it ever been confirmed that "Lonely Town" was co-arranged by (or at least with some assistance from) Nelson Riddle, as Sinatra announced (perhaps inaccurately) in later concert performances?

bozburn and kennyluc1 like this.
  13. MLutthans

Long overdue, I've finally started to overhaul the WHERE ARE YOU web pages. If anybody has any clips they would like to share with us.....now's the time!

That said, though, I have some mono clips now posted, with thanks to @tlmusic , @stevelucille , @howlinrock . Versions currently posted are:

•D1#2 LP
    •D1#4 LP
    •D7 LP
    •N8 promo LP
    •D10 LP
    •Early UK LP
    •2012 MFSL LP
    •2013 MFSL CD

If anybody would like to add clips from, say, non-USA pressings, EPs, etc., please let me know and I will be happy to add them.

See: http://www.11fifty.com/Site_108/1957_-_Where_Are_You_3.html

I have three mono "D" cuts, plus both the MFSL CD and mono LP, and both mono MFSL releases are excellent, IMO, and the best monos out there, but YMMV. Have a listen!

McLover, Bob Belvedere, Bob F and 2 others like this.
  14. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

Matt, thanks for continually doing all the work to create this amazing and fascinating archive!

Bob Belvedere and MLutthans like this.
  15. MLutthans

On the same page, I've updated and re-posted the section about the early 1958 stereo tape release. The six brief clips from reel #ZD-17 are once again posted, and I've also added (for the first time) a clip from a non-defective copy of 1958's STARS IN STEREO reel, #ZD-21, which included "I'm a Fool to Want You."

Scan about halfway down the page, here: http://www.11fifty.com/Site_108/1957_-_Where_Are_You_3.html

16. MLutthans

Were there cases in which the Australian branch of EMI's WORLD RECORD CLUB would release LPs that had one catalog number on the sleeve, but a different one on the label? I think that I *MAY* have been the recipient of a swapped-out LP/sleeve combination -- likely unintentional, if it happened at all -- on a recent sale, but thought I'd ask the brain trust here to see if there may be another explanation.

The album is Sinatra's WHERE ARE YOU, which was a 12-track mono album and an 11-track stereo album, but eventually there were some stereo LP releases that had all 12 tracks, one of which would be in mono or Duophonic, since one track was a mono-only recording. I've been looking for a copy of World Record Club album #S/2484, and I found one online recently, which arrived in the mail today. The jacket only lists one catalog number: S/2484, which appears three times. The jacket also says "STEREO" and lists all 12 songs, and discogs.com lists this as a 12-song release (and yes, I know that discogs.com sometimes has errors in the listings). So far, so good. The label on the record itself, however, lists catalog number S-7015, with five songs on side one and 6 songs on side two, eleven total, the same number of tracks as the original stereo release version, before the twelfth track was (sometimes) added back in.

Clearly, the sleeve and label are in disagreement, but I suppose it's possible that WRC was just packaging some old LPs they had in the warehouse or something. Hard to say. .....or maybe this sort of thing was common with WRC in Australia?

(In terms of deadwax info: This LP uses USA stampers, and those numbers are listed in fine print below the catalog number on the label.)

I think that the S/2484 release dates from about 1970.

Thanks in advance for any insights. In the end, it's no big deal. I'm just curious!

17. MLutthans

Label photo:
    SinatraWhereAreYouAustraliaLabel.jpg
    Cover detail, showing the S/2484 number:
    all the way 7.png

18. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

@MLutthans: Matt, FWIW...

The "Where or When" Sinatra database lists Australia Capitol-WRC S2484 and S7015 as different issues, and BOTH are shown as 11-track STEREO LPs. S2484 has a notation that the cover has a "girl's face looking down." (There is no such special notation for S7015, so presumably that one had the same cover as US Capitol SW855.) This suggests to me that the 12-track cover listing is erroneous.

[ There is also a listing for Australia Light Music Club LM7015 as a 12-track MONO LP, with a "color drawing of FS" on the cover. I know you posted pics of both cover variations in the —> "Where Are You?" thread. ]

19. MLutthans

Thanks, @Bob F . I had checked discogs and done a Google search for the S7015 catalog number, but struck out, so this is good to know. The S2484 cover is, indeed, an alternate cover:
    R-5965851-1407595112-8439-1.jpeg.jpg
    (edit) ....not all that dissimilar to an earlier Dutch LP of another Sinatra album:
    R-5486663-1394628563-4032.jpeg.jpg

Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
    McLover likes this.
  20. Jae

Jae Senior Member

Can't answer all of your question, but I can provide some info.

The label you linked is from the late 1960s, ie after WRC adopted the green S label but before the royalty stamps were dropped from labels in July 1969. That much is definite.

Now, your S2484 copy. WRC had a 2400 range, which mainly comprised of musicals/stage titles. I don't know if "Where Are You?" was part of this series, BUT IF it WAS, then it wasn't released until 1973. Indeed, I just checked my WRC Christmas 1972 catalogue and the highest it referenced in the series was 2438.

So IF this is the case then I think it's fair to say you have a swapped copy.

But I stress that I don't know if the LP was released in that series - WRC did not always apply consistent series.

One way to check though is to look at the back of the 2484 cover - if it's manufactured after 1971 it should only list one or two WRC addresses, not the full five that earlier releases had, ie Melbourne, Hartwell, Sydney, Adelaide, Perth.

Hope this helps a bit.

McLover, MLutthans and Bob F like this.
  21. MLutthans

Thanks, Jae! Here's the WRC S/2484 rear address info:
    WhereAreYouAustraliaWRCRear.jpg

McLover likes this.
  22. Jae

Jae Senior Member

Flipback sleeve?

23. MLutthans

24. Jae

Jae Senior Member

OK, ta.

It does not appear to be part of the 1970s 2400 series for one simple reason...the Perth address. WRC resided on Council Avenue until ~1969, where it moved to 143 Barrack Street. Moved again ~1971 to 207 Murray Street. So the sleeve must be no later than 1969.

So we now have a slab of vinyl from the late 1960s and a sleeve seemingly from the same period. Would seem odd that even WRC would have two versions of the same album in circulation at the same time, but it is possible, I guess.

But SOLELY from a time period perspective, it seems that both 2484 and 7015 at least existed at the same time, if indeed they were different releases. There's nothing excluding them from being originally matched that way.

Can't offer much more I'm afraid.

McLover and CBackley like this.
  25. MLutthans

@Jae - you have been most helpful. Thanks!

I will add one more thing: It seems odd to me that a 1969 LP would still be using circa 1959 N1 USA stampers, but it's not out of the question.