Sinatra / Capitol Sound Quality, etc.: Close to You (released 1957)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MLutthans, Dec 13, 2009.

1. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff Thread Starter

For at least a year now, I've been vexed by this photo of "somebody" at Capitol in the 1950s:
    SinatraParamorRubyMurrayMarch81956.jpg
    Thanks to a small article in the May-June 1956 issue of Capitol's Music Views magazine, I now know their identies. :)

On March 2, 1956, Irish singer Ruby Murray left the UK for a three-week trip to the US. That's her on the left and Norrie Paramor on the right. I think these photos must be from the March 8, 1956 session that yielded "If It's the Last Thing I Do," "Don't Like Goodbyes," P.S., I Love You," and "Love Locked Out."
    CapitolSinatraRubyMurrayNorrieParamor2SHTV.jpg Capitol1956 1SHTV.jpg Capitol1956 2.jpg
    Voyle Gilmore looks thinner than usual, and a little like Drew Carey, no?

Additional info from here:

Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
    MMM likes this.
  2. MLutthans

Are there any other photos of Sinatra on the above date, March 8, 1956? Only his second vocal date at the tower, no? And the first to actually yield any released product, so a bit of a momentous date.

3. James_S888

James_S888 Forum Resident

For what it's worth, I like the MoFi for this one from the 1982 box set.
    It doesn't sound digital to me though. Who and why is it assumed that side one of this record is digitally sourced for the Mo Fi box set?

4. Tina_UK

Tina_UK Forum Resident

When I was young my Mom took me to see Ruby Murray perform.

These days Ruby Murray is rhyming slang for Curry, eg " Fancy going for a Ruby?"

Nick Dunning and Simon A like this.
  5. MLutthans

There are a few contributing factors (an interview with Gregg Schnitzer, the reappearance of stereo tracks that were not on the stereo LP reels) that point toward that speculation, but the closest thing to a smoking gun, in my opinion, is the "digital squink" that appears in Don't Like Goodbyes. You can hear it at the end of the clip, here: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7qgH1HDldamdjAySm1WOXlwWnM/edit?usp=sharing

To my ears, that's clearly the sound of a tape dropout on a helical scan machine. Maybe there's some other cause?????? (FWIW, I think that, dropouts aside, the MFSL Close to You is the best the album has sounded, but YMMV, of course.)

6. James_S888

James_S888 Forum Resident

Thanks for that. Well, well, digital in the MoFi world. In 1983. I'm surprised.

I remember thinking that the MoFi is very good sounding. I'll have to go listen to side 1 again and in particular the track "Don't like goodbyes". I can normally hear if something is less than 96/24 digital, so it will be interesting :)

I'll have to have a listen to my original too. I think it's a gray label, "D" stamper. But from memory, I actually thought the MoFi sounded better....

7. MLutthans

There are two other later versions that are very much worth seeking out: The 1984 UK/Holland "Dell" issue, which proudly proclaims its digital remastering, and the 1983 French pressing, which bears the DUOPHONIC album cover, but is true mono and sounds fantastic.

I've now been through three vintage D pressings, and none of them has floated my boat. To my ears (and we all hear things differently), they are dull on top. I just got a fourth copy from a pal who sent me a bucket load of old Sinatra LPs, and I'll give it a whirl one of these days. Different strokes!

8. MLutthans

This is the excellent French pressing: http://www.discogs.com/viewimages?release=3504707
    Catalog #2C 068-54579

My copy has a sticker on the front that reads "Original Mono." I think it was stevelucille who got me turned on to this one a few years back, so...thanks, Steve!

9. stevelucille

stevelucille Forum Resident

That's what these pages are all about!

10. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

What is the preferred mastering on CD, is it the Walsh disc or the UK CD?

11. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Both have their faults. I prefer the UK CD, although it's slightly compressed.

12. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

If I were to play that French pressing for someone and say it is a MoFi, they would never be able to tell it wasn't by the sound. It is truly phenomenal. Superb, rich sound and a platter as quiet as the proverbial church mouse. I LOVE it!

stevelucille and MLutthans like this.
  13. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Not exactly spot on the topic (although I played the Walsh CD the other night for the umpteenth time on my vintage JBL's out in the patio and I agree with Gary F's comment from a couple of years ago about his "speakers disappearing") but I have a quick CLOSE TO YOU related story.

One night my Dad was visiting; this was a couple of years before he passed in 2002. He was a huge Sinatra fan growing up and still loved hearing him perform, but he had never heard anything from CLOSE TO YOU. It's such a unique record in Frank's discography I had to play him something to provide a taste. Of course, I put on "There's a Flaw In My Flue"--and just like those Capitol executives all those years ago, Dad assumed it was a straight song. But when the punchlines arrived, though, he howled with laughter to the point of tears. To this day, every time I play the song I remember my Dad's laughter and our shared love of Frank Sinatra.

mahanusafa02, KipB, MMM and 8 others like this.
  14. DLant

DLant The Upstate Gort Staff

I was able to find a mint, Larry Walsh CD remaster of this album last year and ditch the horrible, awful Norberg EOTC CD. Still wanting a copy of this on vinyl.

MMM likes this.
  15. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

Honoring Bob's request that we carry on our Close To You discussions from the "Capitol/Reprise Under One Roof" thread, in its rightful place... I just wanted to say I've been playing this album a lot recently. The recent MoFis of Swing Lovers and Swingin' Affair and the Dino This Time I'm Swingin' ... have been getting a lot of spins too -- but when needing to switch it up, and mellow things out a bit -- I've been reaching for this delightful gem. This beechwood aged, cask-strength -- whatever your fancy -- beauty.

I can't get enough of Close To You right now. Put the lights low. Pour a drink. Chillax. It's not as demanding, emotionally, I think, as In The Wee Small Hours. It's just been perfect. Down to the very end. It doesn't break stride!

Kind of sad that it wasn't even mentioned in the recent MoFi campaign. Hopefully, if and when that campaign resumes --
    Close To You will be a priority.

16. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Feel the same way about "Close To You". The "not as demanding" part is very true. Doesnt place a strain (for lack of better words) on the emotions as much as Wee Small or some of the other slow tempo albums.

17. MLutthans

This photo:
    CloseToYou.jpg
    appears on the back page of the insert for disc three of the 1989 UK 4-CD set, The Great Films and Shows.

A zoom-in on the music shows the top line of music reading "ever you go my heart will go, too," and the second line showing the four repeated A naturals of "only wants to be:"
    CloseToyouDetail.jpg
    ...meaning this photo is from the session for the song "Close to You."

Last edited: Oct 20, 2015
    PBo, wave, bozburn and 5 others like this.
  18. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

IMHO, Close to You is the last time we hear Mr. S singing as a "crooner" in every sense of the word. This could have easily been a Columbia recording 10 years earlier in concept and style. If you are a fan of The Voice of Frank Sinatra you are a big fan of Close to You as a much more mature voice takes on sultry, sexy singing.

19. MLutthans

Anybody here have this 1980s German Readers Digest LP?
    R-3133590-1318178089.jpeg
    It has all 12 Close to You LP tracks -- in a slightly jumbled order -- plus the three non-album tracks from the same sessions, all on one LP. This is the only appearance of all 15 tracks on one vinyl album, correct?

20. Gary Freed

Gary Freed Forum Resident

3rd Uncle Bob likes this.
  21. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

I'm listening to the 1998 UK CD right now and as this is the only version of the album I've ever heard, I must confess that I find the music absolutely sublime. I must agree with Paul here, this feels like a Crooner's album and the vibe created by the closed miked instruments makes it a very intimate one.

After reading Matt's thoughts on this CD in his scorecard, I was expecting an underwhelming experience, but I'd say it's quite the opposite. I'm loving this disc. It makes me even happier to have gotten the whole box set even if a handful of the discs are duds.

OldCoder and paulmock like this.
  22. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Swoon, baby! Swoon.:love:

Simon A likes this.
  23. OldCoder

OldCoder Well-Known Member In Memoriam

Give the handful of duds more time, you might be pleasantly surprised...

24. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

My apologies if my use of the term "duds" seemed to indicate that I did not like some of the music. On the contrary, I love Frank's Capitol output very much. What I meant was that some of the discs from the UK box set contain dubious mastering or the wrong tapes were used.

25. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Title: "Great Romantic Memories"

Since this was released in 1988, a year after the 15-track US CD, CLOSE TO YOU AND MORE, it seems likely it may have been derived from the Larry Walsh digital masters. Just speculating, though. There was never a 15-track LP before this.