Sinatra / Capitol Sound Quality, etc.: Close to You (released 1957)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MLutthans, Dec 13, 2009.

1. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

There were several ex-US LPs with the same 12 tracks but alternate covers:

Dutch issue circa 1962:

[​IMG]

UK 1963:

[​IMG]

UK (MFP) 1965:

[​IMG]

UK (World Record Club) 1966:

[​IMG]

bozburn likes this.
  2. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff Thread Starter

Thanks, Bob. I didn't think there was a USA LP that was abridged, but wanted to confirm. What piqued my curiosity was a comparison of several Close to You LP sides, looking at side one specifically. I noticed that on side one, my original D3 pressing and my 1983 MFSL pressing have a curious dissimilarity on track 5, "It's Easy to Remember." On that track -- and just that track -- the polarity is reversed on the MFSL vis a vis the original cut.

"In theory," the D cut is made from the original master, as is the MFSL LP. (Some LPs in that 1983 Sinatra box were cut from dubbed/tweaked tapes, but this title uses the "correct" tapes.)

Any thoughts as to how that would happen?

3. MLutthans

I've got that one. The sound is even worse than the cover!

Bob F likes this.
  4. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

No, but wouldn't that suggest some digital processing in the chain for the MFSL?

5. Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas Forum Resident

That UK MFP release is from later than 1965, AFAIK. Green target labels suggest around 1970, perhaps, and the sequencing of it's catalogue number, too.

Bob F likes this.
  6. MLutthans

In anticipation of and preparation for the upcoming comparison stuff, I've transferred several LPs to 24/96 digital, and stumbled across something very odd.

In 1984, Alan Dell oversaw (or at least wrote liner notes for -- I think his actual role is a little murky) the well-known series of digitally-mastered Capitol/Sinatra LPs in the UK, released by EMI. This same series was released concurrently in The Netherlands, but in DMM pressings. Here's the odd part: I found at least one instance of the Dutch and UK LPs -- both digitally mastered as part of the "same" series -- having different analog dropouts, indicating that they were either sourced from different tapes, or were sourced from the same tape, but a different transfer of said tape.

This greatly surprised me! Thoughts?

MMM likes this.
  7. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

I wonder if the Dutch pressing is actually digital?

8. MLutthans

According to the rear cover artwork, yes. Here's the UK edition on top, Dutch edition on bottom:
    P1020376.jpg
    Interesting to note that although they have different mastering, different typesetting and different catalogue numbers, the UPC is the same on both. (The front covers and labels are also slightly different. See: http://www.11fifty.com/Site_108/1956_-_Close_to_You3.html.)

Last edited: Aug 13, 2014
  9. MLutthans

Here's an audio clip demonstrating what appear to be different flaking characteristics on the source tape. The clip starts with the UK 1984 LP, then goes to the Dutch DMM 1984 LP, and alternates back and forth, 6 play-throughs total:

https://app.box.com/s/hq9vsnk8dj7uhqgg2n0x

On both versions, I hear damage at two spots:
    1.) On the very first note that the celeste and bells play. (That's the second beat of the arrangement. The first is played by strings and harp.)
    2. The second spot that seems to have some flaking is just after the harp plays for a second time (roughly midway through the clip).

It's spot #1 that seems much "flakier" on the DMM cut. It's just barely there on the UK cut.

10. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Further evidence that UPC/EAN barcodes are not a legitimate indicator of uniqueness. (There are other such cases.)

MLutthans likes this.
  11. Syd

Syd Member

Would that be the "and smoke gets in my nose" line? That's when I always laugh. BTW, I have "Flaw in my Flue" on the vinyl Like Never Before album from Longines Symphonette.

I have the Walsh CD, as well as a 12 o'clock rainbow. The latter sounds much better to me despite my copy having a bit more surface noise than I would like, though it sounds better now that I use a y-cable.

12. MLutthans

Starting to re-compile various clips for the new round of comparisons on this LP, and some things come to mind:
    I'm enjoying it much more, too. Maybe it's the August air? I dunno. It's seems better than I remembered from the last comparison.
    If you are able to provide clips, please let me know. (Same for anybody else who may have a pressing they would like to transfer to digital and submit for comparison.)

Thanks!

PS - Did somebody send a D4 promo LP clip? If so, can you drop me a line, so I can properly credit you? I've lost track of who that was!

13. MLutthans

pdenny, PBo, Nathen and 2 others like this.
  14. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

I think I like the N10 best overall, then the Dutch LP. Interestingly the EP isn't bad, and better than some of the LP cuts.

15. bozburn

bozburn Forum Resident

The N10 is a few major steps up from the D's. Wow.

16. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Yeah, that surprised me, Britt. Not sure if that's typical or not. The only time I've ever had a standout "N" cut is the N14 stereo COME DANCE WITH ME side two.

17. MLutthans

There was a somewhat similar D vs. N situation with "In the Wee Small Hours," too:

18. PBo

PBo Forum Resident

I'm looking forward to reading the updated pages.

I picked up the 1983 Pathe Marconi LP on Matt's recommendation. It's a winner! :thumbsup:

19. MLutthans

It is very good, yes, and one thing that I always kind of hate about these comparisons is that it can seem sometimes like I/we are knocking one version by looking for the absolute top version. To my ears, there are many excellent versions of this album, and just about any of those versions is great on it's own, yet there are definitely differences when they get lined up and thoroughly A/B'd. I like some of those gray label copies a lot, but I think the even-better copies are among the 1980s pressings, but that doesn't mean the grays are bad at all.

Now, the Duophonic stuff that I'll post eventually? Those are B-A-D bad! :agree:

Martin commented on the EP sounding better than expected, and I concur with that. Many of the EPs we've checked out (on other albums) are subpar, but this one seems pretty nice. I wonder if that's because of the sparse instrumentation and lack of "punch" vis-a-vis, say, brassier albums like Swing Easy?????

20. MLutthans

MMM likes this.
  21. PBo

PBo Forum Resident

Also, I think I have the same French lp you recommended, but I noticed you have this one pictured:

[​IMG]

Mine has the rainbow Capitol label. The cover has the "Duophonic" credit and it's made in 1983 by Pathé Marconi as mentioned on the back cover and label, so it's probably just a label variation. Here's the matrix info: Side 1 - is M6 3423962 545 79 A 21 , Side 2 - is M6 342397 2 54579 B 21

[​IMG]

22. MLutthans

@PBo, my pressing has the exact same deadwax info, just the purple label.

FWIW, I bought several Capitol recordings reissued on Pathe-Marconi in the 1985-1988 time frame, and I think they all had that rainbow label, so my guess (nothing more) is that the purple label was first, but I'll bow to the knowledge of label experts.

PBo likes this.
  23. MLutthans

I brought this up via PM, but thought I'd expand it a bit and bring it up for comments in the forum, even thought it's possible that only two people in the world will find this interesting.

Here are the waveforms for all of side one, taken from an original 1957 D3 pressing, cut from the master reel in HOllywood:
    D3 side 1.jpg
    It's easy to make out where the 6 songs start/end, as there are 6 clearly defined "clumps" of soundwaves.

Here are the waveforms for the 1983 French pressing:
    Pathe.jpg
    It's cut at a lower level compared to the D3, but again, the six tracks are easy to make out, and it's obvious that at some point in the transfer/dubbing/cutting process, polarity got flipped, as all six tracks have an opposite up/down orientation when compared to the D3. When the D3 zigs, the French pressing zags, but does so consistently, so it's nothing noteworthy.

Here's the famous digitally-remastered "Alan Dell" series LP from 1984, in a DMM Dutch cut:
    DMM.jpg
    Polarity is identical to the French LP, so again, nothing noteworthy.

Below is the 1983 MFSL pressing:
    MFSL side 1.jpg
    and the D3 again:
    D3 side 1.jpg
    Only tracks 2, 3, 5, and 6 have opposite polarity from the D3 original. Assuming an analog cut from a continuously-running tape reel, what might make this happen? My thought would be that there's a "master reel" for side one of Close to You. If that reel or a dub of that reel is used, the polarity relationships should be consistent across all 6 songs, which they are on the 1957, 1983 French, and 1984 Dutch (and UK, not shown) cuts, yet on the 1983 MFSL LP, those song-to-song relationships are lost.

Just one of those odd little things.....

AaronW and bozburn like this.
  24. MLutthans

This recording is so subtle and soft that it's really a candidate for more than a clip or two when it comes to picking a top version. To that end, I've posted some clips from side two, comparing some of the (to my ears) top-sounding versions that I had handy:

•D3 original LP -- and I'd be happy to swap out for the nice sounding N10 original, if @stevelucille can send me those clips to post.
    •1983 French LP
    •1983 MFSL LP
    •1984 UK LP
    •1984 Dutch LP
    •1998 UK CD -- really the only officially-released CD that is anything close to "right" for this title.

The songs are "I've Had My Moments" and "Blame It On My Youth," posted here: http://www.11fifty.com/Site_108/1956_-_Close_to_You.html (Scan down the page until you spot Sly Stallone.)

25. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Maybe Bob (Arkoffs) could get at least "Blame It On My Youth" from the D6 side two as well, if he has time?