Sinatra / Capitol Sound Quality, etc.: "Frank Sinatra Sings for Only the Lonely" (1958)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MLutthans, Feb 20, 2010.

1. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Matt, is that the full catalog # for the Dutch copy, or is there possibly a number missing in the last portion? Also, is the # broken up a bit, possibly like:

5c 052 8179?

I've seen that cover before, but never investigated it further. I think it was via someone that had a copy for sale online years ago, but didn't list the contents or show the back cover/labels, and I didn't think it would be anything other than another 10 song version.

2. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

That's good to know, as the CDs of this prove your point.

3. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff Thread Starter

Yes, Martin, I sure did drop a digit. Sorry about that! (I corrected my original post now, too.)

Here are the catalog # references on my copy:
    DutchSinatraNumber1.jpg DutchSinatraNumber2.jpg DutchSinatraNumber3.jpg

Also, here's the liner artwork, with "1180" on the bottom. Any chance that means November of 1980? Seems a bit late for this label design, but maybe not?
    DutchSinatraNumber-Liner.jpg

MMM likes this.
  4. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

I think that is the date. The label design is late for the U.S. (I believe the change to the late-70's purple label was in/around 1978), but maybe the change didn't occur in other countries by then. Or the pressing is older than the sleeve? A bit of both?

5. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

6. bibijeebies

bibijeebies vinyl hairline spotter

This series is most likely from the early seventies and was pressed in Holland. The inner sleeves are white, typical for EMI-Bovema records of that period. The UK innersleeve has been added later by that seller and has nothing to do with the original LP. For years the Capitol material was not available on LP in the Netherlands. This series was created to fill that void back then. Only in 1984 with the Alan Dell digital masters we got the classic Capitol LP's back again, only in Holland these were DMM issues.

Verstuurd van mijn AMOI N821 met Tapatalk

7. mikrt17

mikrt17 Life has surface noise.

I've just looked at another copy of this series by another artist and it also has an EMI UK inner sleeve and I bought this from new in an HMV store in London in the 70's

8. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff Thread Starter

Regarding that LP linked at Discogs.com, that's the DMM version of the Dell series, so as you hinted, it does, indeed, have all 12 tracks, although one, "It's a Lonesome Old Town," is in mono for some reason. (The original UK Dell pressings were not labelled as being DMM.)

9. DLant

DLant The Upstate Gort Staff

Just got my birthday gift of the MFSL Gold CD of Only The Lonely, and holy awesomeness Batman! So much more detail than the Capitol stereo CDs. I also, am in love with the gate-fold packaging of this CD

PhantomStranger likes this.
  10. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

The other night they aired an episode of The Frank Sinatra Show (with guest Elvis somebody) where Mr.S sang Gone With The Wind with a back drop resembling the cover of Sings For Only The Lonely. There was a little skit before where they joked about it winning a Grammy for best album cover. Apologize if this has already been discussed but I thought it was very cool, I'd can't find a YouTube clip otherwise I'd post it.

rangerjohn likes this.
  11. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Yes! That is from the "Welcome Back, Elvis!" show. Out here in L.A. a local PBS station is airing several editions of "The Frank Sinatra Show" from the late 50's and early 60's back-to-back on Mother's Day and individually throughout the month of May.

12. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

PBo likes this.
  13. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

May 14 will mark the 15th anniversary of the passing of Mr. S.

14. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

I've got the albums and concerts I will be playing all week in tribute all queued up!

Bob F likes this.
  15. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

IMHO his choice of song at that point in the proceedings really brought the "Elvis" show to a near halt. It should have been something brighter.

16. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

I assume these have been restored to broadcast quality (unlike the YouTube video above). I hope they will be picked up by PBS stations in other parts of the country. For those in SoCal, this was the press release:

I notice that individual DVDs of the six shows in the series will be available to donors for $50 each:

17. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

18. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

I'm gonna DVR all of them tomorrow Bob. I'll compare them to what I have on copied DVD's.

19. rangerjohn

rangerjohn Forum Resident

I respectfully disagree, Paul. I think that Mr. S was making a point. He knew that Elvis, though a greater musical talent than he appreciated, could never perform a song like that and in that way.

There's also something winsome when FS remarks to Sammy and Joey that "there are a light of nice songs on" OTL--as if no one had noticed.....

20. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Just quickly looked in on the program and it is currently the Palm Springs afternoon "washout" show. It is a very, very poor kinescope copy that thye are showing.:shake:

21. pmckeeaalaska

pmckeeaalaska Forum Resident

I really love my MFSL gold CD of this album but what I dont get is why Mofi can't throw in a booklet for a CD that costs $30!

Bob F likes this.
  22. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

My copy has a folded insert (in the disc pocket) which contains the liner notes from the Capitol CD.

23. So does my copy. It's a thin booklet that slips in and out of the sleeve very easily.

24. pmckeeaalaska

pmckeeaalaska Forum Resident

Huh, well mine never had it. I wonder if Mofi would send me one if I asked? Well, going to try at least!

25. DLant

DLant The Upstate Gort Staff

Mine doesn't either. My gold disc of 'Nice 'n' Easy' does have the little booklet.