Sinatra / Capitol Sound Quality, etc.: "Frank Sinatra Sings for Only the Lonely" (1958)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MLutthans, Feb 20, 2010.

1. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Not a reliable indicator. The '98 CD also says "Remastered by Larry Walsh" and "© 1987". They failed to change the booklet text.

If it also says "℗ 1998" on the back of the booklet and back inlay, it's the Norberg version. (The back inlay also says "20 BIT MASTERING" in the fine print at the bottom.) If it says "℗ 1987", it's the real Walsh version.

2. rob68

rob68 Senior Member

Thanks for the tip.

This one says 1987 twice on the back of the booklet, twice on the rear tray card and twice on the front of the disc. No 1998 anywhere. :righton:

Simon A and Bob F like this.
  3. Ben Richards

Ben Richards Forum Resident

Hi Bob F and thanks for your answer. I mean, just the "box" without cds as i have all of them already. I thought Capitol sold it separately.

4. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

That's the first I've heard of that. Perhaps some of the profiteers, who broke up their box sets to sell individual CDs on eBay, also offered the boxes?

5. Ben Richards

Mine is very used. I also mailed some packaging companies if they could reproduct it but they asked me more than the complete set with cds !!!

6. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Probably someone who would have rather had all the Capitol CD's in order in his collection rather than keeping the "Dell" one's in the box. Now it comes time to sell the collection and they are mixed in along with all the others by someone not knowing their "difference".

7. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Nah. People were asking high prices for these on eBay, an obvious attempt to make more selling them individually than collectively. I can't imagine anyone, even if clueless about the sound quality, wanting to break up this picture:

[​IMG]

MLutthans and DmitriKaramazov like this.
  8. Tina_UK

Tina_UK Forum Resident

Me neither Bob, as with all of Franks' box sets, very classy and neat.

9. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

It would be an absolute CRIME to break up that picture!!! :D

McLover and MarkusGermany like this.
  10. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

The I'm guilty as charged. ;)

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  11. Ben Richards

I'm a little bit maniac too so i need all or nothing.
    Just a question guys - surely stupid - but did Sinatra say "Adieu" or "I do" in What's New ? Looks like lyrics seem different from a website to another.
    Spent 5 hours listening "Guess I'll Hang My Tears Out To Dry" yesterday. What a gem.

Simon A likes this.
  12. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

"Adieu" = "goodbye"

13. profholt82

profholt82 Resident Blowhard

I've always taken it as "I do." If anyone can say definitively otherwise, by all means tell us, but in my opinion, "adieu" makes less sense in that passage. Adieu, of course, is a synonym of good-bye which doesn't quite fit because he has just run into a former lover, and he is explaining how exciting, yet seemingly awkward it is to see her again. As in, it is so great to see her again, but he understands why the relationship had to end. "I understand. I do."

Then again, on the other hand, their relationship is in the past-tense at this point. And while he is happy to see her again, and expresses that he still loves her, after he acknowledges that she was sweet to offer her hand, he could be saying "I understand. Adieu," as in even though is still in love with her, he accepts the fact that the relationship had to end, and adieu is his acknowledgment of that finality.

Geez. Now you've got me befuddled. Does anyone here have the sheet music or anything? Johnny Burke was the lyricist.

Simon A likes this.
  14. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

DmitriKaramazov and profholt82 like this.
  15. profholt82

profholt82 Resident Blowhard

Yes. But are you sure that is the lyric? Prior to 5 minutes ago, I thought it was "I do," without ever giving it much thought, but I seem to have just talked myself into "adieu."

Edit:
    Gotcha, thanks. :D

Arkoffs likes this.
  16. DmitriKaramazov

You have GREAT taste Ben. I always come away from "Guess I'll Hang My Tears Out To Dry" like I've just heard the greatest recording by anyone, ever! :D

(I enjoy the Columbia version too.)

stevenalejandro likes this.
  17. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff Thread Starter

Six years ago, @SCOTT1234 and @stevelucille submitted some mono clips for my then-forthcoming webpages about Frank Sinatra Sings for Only the Lonely. (Thanks again, guys.) The pages has been unavailable for several years now, but I started to (slowly) rebuild them tonight, and Scott and Steve's mono clips live again! See: Frank Sinatra Sings for Only the Lonely - 1958 »

At the link, you will find audio samples from:
    •Original red vinyl Japanese LP
    •Original 1N UK LP
    •D29 US pressing
    •2009 MFSL LP
    •2009 MFSL CD

By the way, if anybody would like to share any clips (from the title track, at least for now), please send a PM my way. The more the merrier on these things, no?

More to come.....

PS - @SCOTT1234 - please let me know if I used the correct photo for your pressing. Thanks.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2016
    Simon A and bozburn like this.
  18. Ben Richards

@paulmock : "Adieu" is far stronger than a simple "goodbye". I used it once in my life when i knew i will never see my uncle again.
    Apart from that, i should really listen others cds from capitol set from now. FSFOTL is like a drug and i'm alone since so many years... But spring is coming. "A Swingin' Affair ! could really do "the job", don't you think ?

19. SCOTT1234

SCOTT1234 Senior Member

It might be a week or two before I can confirm. I only have half of my Sinatra LPs with me at the moment.

Simon A and MLutthans like this.
  20. Beaneydave

Beaneydave Forum Resident

The only fault with this set is the booklet. It's pointless , that aside I'm soooo pleased I got this when it came out , looking at prices today.

Peace and love✌

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  21. MLutthans

I don't very often comment on things in Sinatraville on purely musical terms (I tend to keep my head firmly buried in the sound quality sand of these threads), but I gotta say: I played this album, which I know like the back of my hand, straight through for the first time in probably three years tonight, and while In the Wee Small Hours will likely always be my personal favorite Sinatra album, Frank Sinatra Sings for Only the Lonely is an absolutely astounding, monumental musical achievement, and does, for me, stand as the artistic pinnacle not only of Sinatra's albums, but of what can be done in the arena of the "ballad album" genre by any artist. It's overwhelmingly well done, and fully deserving of all the praise that has been heaped upon it through the years, setting such a high standard as to make a lot of albums that seem at first blush to be bona fide wheat come across as second-rate chaff upon comparison, and I don't think that's hyperbole. It's stunningly executed music-making, in my opinion.

End of out-of-character rave. :)

Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
    Mr Bass, MMM, sonnyrock and 9 others like this.
  22. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

OMG! You really ARE a human being...not a sound machine. WOW! :p JUST KIDDING, MATT!!!!!

I don't think you'll find anyone here that will contradict your evaluation of this album. Oddly enough, I sat and played the "Silver Box" LP on Sunday night. Whether it is in stereo or mono, it never fails to "get me".

More "music" reviews are very welcomed!:agree:

MLutthans and Simon A like this.
  23. teag

teag Forum Resident

Absolutely agree this is one of the best albums of all time. It's amazing how many people I have encountered who have said they were "so so" on FS and have never heard this masterpiece. They tend to think of FS as "Lady is a Tramp" or "Come Fly", and the rest of the songs that get repeated on radio through the decades, etc. While these songs have their place and I enjoy them, I see Frank's real artistic side more as OTL, Where Are You, No One Cares, September, and Wee Small Hours. All others are after that, on my listening scale anyway!

MMM, Simon A, DmitriKaramazov and 2 others like this.
  24. DmitriKaramazov

I agree 1,000%!! More raves please! :D

MLutthans and Simon A like this.
  25. MLutthans

Haven't played it in years, but my recollection is that Linda Ronstadt's version with Nelson Riddle really sounds like "I do." (Maybe I'm misremembering?) Also, just for yuks, I pulled out my 1973 Japanese LP of Frank Sinatra Sings for Only the Lonely, which includes a lyric sheet in English, and found this (replete with an unrelated typo):
    DSC_0084.jpg
    FWIW, there are often mistakes in the lyric sheets included with Japanese LPs. From an old post in the Come Dance with Me thread, revolving around what should be the word "terpsichore" in the title song:
    [​IMG]

McLover, MMM, kennyluc1 and 5 others like this.