Sinatra / Capitol Sound Quality, etc.: "Frank Sinatra Sings for Only the Lonely" (1958)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MLutthans, Feb 20, 2010.

1. Ben Richards

Ben Richards Forum Resident

Is the Silver Box Set LPs from MSFL that good ? It’s very expensive. And, above all, does it bring really some more than the 20 record set « The Capitol Years » ?
    (Surely off topic : but if someone has the booklet of the vinyl set, i would really to buy it)
    Thanks.

2. Artur Torres

Artur Torres New Improved Full Dimensional Stereo

who remastered the mono audio for the 2008 MFSL CD?

3. SBC

SBC Forum Resident

According to the Web, Rob LoVerde.

Artur Torres likes this.
  4. SBC

SBC Forum Resident

Also note there is a small increase in hiss at the end of One For My Baby. Apparently the original master had 3 seconds damaged or missing so they made a digital fix from another tape copy. It is said the vinyl does not have the hiss increase. I remember reading they used the copy dub for that entire song on the vinyl.

5. Artur Torres

Thanks, SBC.

6. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

I scored a copy of the 1983 MoFi LP (from the silver box) on eBay for only $35. It looks as NM+ as possible. I haven’t had a chance to listen yet, but man. It’s in beautiful shape.

Is $35 a good price for this? I saw it and hit BUY before thinking. I needed another copy of this album to help me prepare for buying two more copies in a few months.

via_atx, MMM, aza14782 and 1 other person like this.
  7. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Yes. Yes. and again YES!!!! You will not be sorry. Good catch. Let us know what you think of it.

CBackley likes this.
  8. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

Will do! I’ve heard a needledrop of this issue before, but it will be cooler to listen to my own record.

marmil and paulmock like this.
  9. teag

teag Forum Resident

This is a great stereo version. Best I have heard. You will love it!

MLutthans likes this.
  10. Rob Hughes

Rob Hughes Forum Resident

This is such amazing work, Mr Lutthans. I just wanted to salute you once again. Every time I have occasion to learn about a Sinatra recording, I find your work not just indispensable as a consumer advisory, but also really interesting and thoughtful and educational from a critical point of view. Thanks so much for doing all that and making it available to the rest of us. :) Cheers, RH

skisdlimit, Squad 701, billh and 14 others like this.
  11. Sim2

Sim2 Forum Resident

^^^^
    +1....couldn't agree more. All my purchases are a result of this site & the invaluable 11fifty....

btw: looking forward to the delivery today & Matt's review....

just got the UPS delivery of LP.....off to Rega/Devialet/Aerial Acoustics for a listen.....

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
    steveinphilly, hodgo and tlainhart like this.
  12. steveinphilly

steveinphilly Forum Resident

Agreed 100%. I have always known of the Capitol Scorecard and have used it to pick versions of FAS albums that I wanted as upgrades, but until Matt answered a question I posted this week, I had never seen all the work behind it on the 11fifty site. It's really an amazing site! Thanks for all your work on it, Matt, and I can't wait to see your review of the new vinyl and CD reissues.

Squad 701, rangerjohn, AllenR and 3 others like this.
  13. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Pontus Nilsson and Simon A like this.
  14. Artur Torres

This is my remix of "Angel Eyes". As I used the new stereo version and the mono mixed with the channel on the left side, it stayed like this. It is far from perfect and how I wanted the final result to be, but I think it's worth it. Soon I will try to do a new remix but with the original stereo version. The biggest problem was the synchronization of the mono with the stereo, since the first one is faster than the second in its execution.

15. Ben Richards

@MLutthans : it is normal to find different design pressings on the 052-81179 LP ?
    Regards,
    [​IMG]

rangerjohn likes this.
  16. teag

teag Forum Resident

Since I’m not Matt, I can’t say.

:laugh:

rangerjohn likes this.
  17. Ben Richards

Sorry @teag, of course you can. ;)

18. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

From Matt’s website (AUDIO CLIPS - Unabridged LPs):

[​IMG]
    Above: 1973 Dutch #5C 052-81179 “The Frank Sinatra Story, Volume 8” LP
    (first-run pressings of this release had the lime-green Capitol label, so this is a slightly later pressing)

19. Ben Richards

Thanks @Bob F !!!

Bob F likes this.
  20. Ben Richards

Another in very good condition came today !!!

[​IMG]

Do you know guys why the « 2Lp 3022E » reference came with a red vinyl ?
    Thanks.

Artur Torres likes this.
  21. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff Thread Starter

Very cool, and hard to find. For me, it's the best-packaged edition of the album, and it's nice having all 12 tracks in their original stereo mixes, but the mastering could be better.
    That was a series of releases in Japan. It just came up in discussion recently, here: Nat "King" Cole - All-Purpose Thread (was "year by year") - Part 5*

Arkoffs and Ben Richards like this.
  22. Ben Richards

Thanks.
    Now i really would like to find the « S/5004 » but i need a miracle.

23. Ben Richards

24. Ben Richards

Dear forumers,
    i just would like to share a video about that "so hard to find" aussie LP. Sound is just something from another world. Amazing.

25. Ben Richards