Sinatra / Capitol Sound Quality and General Discussion: In the Wee Small Hours (1955)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Davidmk5, Nov 9, 2009.

1. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Thanks for sharing!

Here's a pair of waveforms comparing the title track of the UK '98 CD with the Black Coffee disc, for those who like to see these things. Note that the 1998 disc hits peak one time, while the Black Coffee is at peak several times during the same time period, FWIW:
    aeriuhguoirahgviouajrvar.gif

moops likes this.
  2. MLutthans

3. MLutthans

Any chance somebody who is feeling charitable could take a photo of their 1984 "Dell" LP's label so I can add a nice photo to my web page? (I will certainly credit the photographer.) The photo I have on the page now is lame-o.

Screen shot 2014-04-07 at 8.52.49 PM.png

Thanks!

Last edited: Apr 7, 2014
  4. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Not the greatest iPhone photo, so let me know if you'd like me to try for a better one, Matt...

WSH-Dell-LP-label.jpg

5. funknik

funknik He who feels it.

I just picked one of these up with the -2/-4 matrix for $7.50 . . . can't wait to get home and check it out . . . unfortunately, I sliced the front cover while opening the shipping box . . . grrr . . . only time that has ever happened to me. Should I be all set with this UK copy, or do I still need to keep my eyes out for a gray label? I have an 'N' cut gray label at home, but it's mostly beat.

6. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

So far, the only vinyl I have of this are the four EP's.

7. MLutthans

Well, there are other posts about that -2/-4 cut that come after the one you quoted, such as:
    ....and those samples are quite a ways down the page, here: http://www.11fifty.com/Site_108/1955_-_In_the_Wee_Small_Hours.html. Look for the labels that look like this:
    [​IMG]
    and click on them.

Do you still need a "D" copy? That's up to you, and audio clips of assorted D and N copies are on the same linked page. I think that if you have tone controls on your playback system and are not afraid to turn the treble up a tad, this LP competes with a D pressing just fine. It's a little soft on the top end, but it otherwise (to my ears) utterly excellent. I made a needledrop of mine (with a treble boost) that is now my 'go to' version, FWIW. Member "William Shears" has a -2/-4 cut, and is very happy with his copy. (Posts are back a few pages.)

8. funknik

funknik He who feels it.

Thanks a lot! I think for my level of appreciation, 92% there is about 12% more than I'll need - I'm excited to spin this now. Incidentally, my label is different - it looks like the standard maroon US labels of the era.

9. MLutthans

Any chance you can post a pic?

funknik likes this.
  10. colormesinatra

colormesinatra Forum Resident

According to Nancy Sinatra on the SFF, UMG is about to issue a press release regarding a Sinatra vinyl reissue campaign that will run into 2015. WSH is part of the first batch of reissues...

I hope it isn't the same pressing as the one from 2009. I wonder if they will get this release right. Should I get my hopes up?

bozburn likes this.
  11. howlinrock

howlinrock Forum Resident In Memoriam

Fingers are crossed :)

colormesinatra and bozburn like this.
  12. funknik

funknik He who feels it.

With all due respect, when I read this, I thought, "Nah, I'm sure I won't even notice" . . . but I feel exactly the same as you do . . . it's just a touch "light" or "off" but it still sounds fantastic.
    I'm just seeing this now, I will be sure to do so and quote your post so you see it. Thanks again.

MLutthans likes this.
  13. profholt82

profholt82 Resident Blowhard

My local record shop has what appears to be the 1959 repress with the rainbow label. It looks like this is the one: http://www.discogs.com/Frank-Sinatra-In-The-Wee-Small-Hours/release/4215715

Generally, when it comes to Capitol Sinatra, I seek out the dark grey labels, as I know that it's a rocky road when dealing with all of the represses. But, it appears to be in nice condition, and it's priced well. Is this a copy that is worth picking up?

Edit:
    I also wanted to add that the only version I currently own of this masterpiece is the 1991 CD. Now, the CD sounds very good, (it is the Larry Walsh master) but I generally prefer listening to Sinatra on vinyl.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2014
    bozburn and colormesinatra like this.
  14. bozburn

bozburn Forum Resident

I think as long as it's 16 tracks, you should be good, and that the Capitol logo is on the left of the disc label, not at top (12:00 position).

profholt82 likes this.
  15. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

It'll come from correct tapes for sure. If the condition is good enough for you, give it a try.

profholt82 likes this.
  16. profholt82

Thanks, guys. I'll pick it up tomorrow.

MMM likes this.
  17. MLutthans

A couple of things (and sorry that I'm a little late to the party):

•The Walsh CD has added stereo reverb, so the LP sound may come across as being quite different, but the LP is the one that is "correct" (as originally recorded)
    •For any of the mono-only albums, the gray-label and 9:00 rainbow pressings are essentially the same (no differences in reverb levels, no 1960s-style tweaking) and sometimes the later cuts (rainbow) are even slightly superior to the grays. Even some 12:00 rainbows may be a continuation of the gray-labels cuts, but those 9:00 ones are a pretty safe bet.

Samples, of course, are available here, about 3/4ths of the way down the page: http://www.11fifty.com/Site_108/1955_-_In_the_Wee_Small_Hours.html

The rainbow labels on that page are N cuts, so are made from dupe tapes, not masters, but the 16-song "D" cuts -- gray OR rainbow -- are both cut on the same lathes from the same master tapes.

While we're on the topic of this album again:
    Bob, a belated "thank you!" I've got that photo now posted at the link just above.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2014
    profholt82, Bob F and MMM like this.
  18. Arkoffs

Arkoffs Remote member

This may be better discussed in one of the general FS threads, but since Wee Small Hours is included (and this was mentioned upthread last month), here goes. Announced by Universal Music, according to Michael Fremer's website:

October 7th

Frank Sinatra – Come Fly With Me (LP)
    Frank Sinatra – In The Wee Small Hours (LP)
    Frank Sinatra – Moonlight Sinatra (LP)
    Frank Sinatra – Sinatra and Swingin’ Brass (LP)
    Frank Sinatra – This Is Sinatra! (LP)

http://www.analogplanet.com/content...lease-schedule-plunges-full-speed-ahead-vinyl

19. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Arkoffs likes this.
  20. Arkoffs

Arkoffs Remote member

Bob F likes this.
  21. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

No problem, Bob. I actually think this would be the most appropriate thread, but these discussions have a tendency to develop in multiple places:

—> Frank Sinatra's Capitol and Reprise recordings now under one roof

22. MLutthans

The blurb on the Fremer link pretty funny:

<<It's really not hyperbole to use the word "astonishing" to describe this release schedule. The volume alone is amazing but more so is the musical eclecticism. There's something (too much!) for every vinyl fan from Kiss to Sinatra, to James Brown, to Bing Crosby to Ella Fitzgerald, Public Enemy and Frank Sinatra.>>

I guess Sinatra is doubly good??????????

MMM likes this.
  23. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

What did J. Edgar Hoover have against Ella?

rangerjohn and MLutthans like this.
  24. profholt82

:biglaugh:

rangerjohn likes this.
  25. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

It might be interesting to see about the Crosby Christmas LP. I take it that is the old Decca one with him wearing the Santa hat. I have a mid 50's black label reissue of it in damn fine shape. The mono sound is really good, too. Later reissues used the "Electronically Reprocessed to Simulate Stereo" with sounds even worse than Duophonic! :thumbsdow So, let's see if UME will give us a nice, new clear sounding mono copy of that seasonal gem this time around.

rangerjohn and MLutthans like this.