Sinatra / Capitol Sound Quality and General Discussion: In the Wee Small Hours (1955)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Davidmk5, Nov 9, 2009.

1. floweringtoilet

floweringtoilet Forum Resident

This title has been f'd up so many times, so badly that this seems minor in comparison. The last time they reissued the LP they used the wrong tapes and put a song that wasn't even from the LP on it. Is it disgraceful? Yes! In my view Sinatra is every bit as important, if not more so, than the Beatles (no disrespect to the Fab Four intended). But I can't get too worked up about this after what Norberg did to the album.

Also, I plan on splicing in the missing note from one of my LPs. I can fix this...many of the other reissues were unfixable. That's not to let anyone off the hook, it should never have gone out like this. Even if there is damage to the original tape there are plenty of ways they could have fixed it.

bozburn, wave, howlinrock and 3 others like this.
  2. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

The layout on the 2014 mirrors the original label design. The 3/4 circle is correct.

3. tone ded freb

tone ded freb Senior Member

Here's hoping we're all still here in 3 years and MFSL gets another crack at it.

MarkusGermany likes this.
  4. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Are you/we sure? Here's @bferr1 's D1/D1 promo copy, and there's no 3/4 circle:
    Screen shot 2014-10-11 at 1.19.16 PM.png

My N3/N4 stock copies are both circle-free. Might it be dependent on which manufacturing plant a pressing came from?

5. MLutthans

@bozburn -

Can you confirm that this is the correct label style on your D2? (This matches my N3.)
    Screen shot 2014-10-11 at 1.26.39 PM.png

6. MLutthans

FWIW, here's a photo (overly-lightened intentionally by me) from discogs.com showing what appears to be a D13 pressing (it's definitely two digits after the D, and the first digit is clearly a 1. Can't 100% make out what the second digit is.). R-1376047-1269466497Light.jpg
    (In the lower right corner, you can just make out the "581-D13" or D11 or whatever that two-digit number is.)

Simon A likes this.
  7. MLutthans

By N20/N12, the album was sporting this label:
    WeeSmallLabelN20:N12.jpg

paulmock likes this.
  8. MLutthans

D15/D16:
    WeeSmallLabelD15:D16.JPG
    EDIT: Used on a D12 cut on Ebay, as well.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2014
    Simon A likes this.
  9. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

Beatles fans have Bruce Spizer and his books and Sinatra fans have Matt and his website. Thanks Matt for all the hard work! Of course Bob, Martin and everyone else who chime in are also appreciated equally. :)

I love this place!

bozburn, wave, mick_sh and 4 others like this.
  10. colormesinatra

colormesinatra Forum Resident

Label comparisons like this are one of the many reasons I love this forum. Only here.

762rob and MarkusGermany like this.
  11. MLutthans

Anybody have an actual D1/D1 stock copy?

12. bozburn

bozburn Forum Resident

I know the D15/16 style above matches my N4. The D2 is slipping me right now, but I'll verify tonight.

MLutthans likes this.
  13. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

I have an N14 N20 and it looks exactly like that.

MLutthans likes this.
  14. MLutthans

Just for yuks, here's a super-handsome Japanese copy:
    Screen shot 2014-10-11 at 2.54.53 PM.png
    Interesting that they chose to put the Capitol logo and "HIGH FIDELITY" badge in the same corner.

rangerjohn and Simon A like this.
  15. MLutthans

This has been discussed here before, but if you are into collecting original copies because of the sound characteristics, there are some excellent circa 1960/61 pressings that still had all 16 tracks with NO ADDED REVERB on the rainbow label:
    WeeSmallLabelRainbow.jpg
    Don't be fooled into thinking "gray sounds better." It's not necessarily true.

16. MLutthans

Thanks, Britt. I've updated the artwork to accompany your N4 clip, but now look at where that leaves us:
    Screen shot 2014-10-11 at 3.23.38 PM.png
    ...and I know that the artwork at left, for my own copy, is correct. To dig a bit further: The N4 on the left (my copy) is an N12/N4. If yours has a lower side one that N12, then logic would say your pressing is earlier than mine, no? Still curious about your D2 pressing, as well.

The N3 copy shown (from my collection):
    Screen shot 2014-10-11 at 3.27.53 PM.png
    ....is an N15/N3.

@stevelucille and @Arkoffs -- would you mind confirming the photos on this page, as well, please? Thanks.

17. floweringtoilet

floweringtoilet Forum Resident

If memory serves, if the Capitol logo is at 9:00 the tapes are dry, but if the logo is at 12:00 it's the wet version.

18. MLutthans

I think this is correct, yes, and, of course, the other clue that you'll have wet tapes is if it's only a 12-song edition, as four songs were trimmed off when the reverb was added, IIRC.

19. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Yes.

20. MLutthans

Some dude going by @stevelucille sold this one on Ebay in 2009:
    Screen shot 2014-10-11 at 9.58.32 PM.png
    It's a D1/D5.

A D2/D1 sold at Shugarecords:
    WeeSmallLabelD2D1.jpg

I updated my post on the previous page to point out the error. My apologies, and thanks Martin for keeping things on the straight and narrow. :)

Last edited: Oct 12, 2014
    MMM likes this.
  21. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

It's pretty easy - that label design matches the 10". In addition, SWINGIN' LOVERS! doesn't seem to exist on it.

22. Went searching for ITWSH and Only the Lonely at Attic in Pittsburgh a few months ago. Came home with the '60 rainbow labels. Nice to know I'm set. :)

23. James_S888

James_S888 Forum Resident

that's the best sounding of the various copies I have.
    D22 / D22

24. bozburn

bozburn Forum Resident

Matt, my memory was slipping in more ways than one. Now looking at both my copies, I can report:

D2/D2: DOES have the 3/4 ring on the label
    N10/N4: Does NOT have the 3/4 ring

Should have verified before speaking up at all. :sigh:

25. Arkoffs

Arkoffs Remote member

We are kinda used to that by now ...