Sinatra / Capitol Sound Quality and General Discussion: In the Wee Small Hours (1955)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Davidmk5, Nov 9, 2009.

1. Or not. I got home from work and double checked. I've got the 12-track ITWSH. So it goes.

2. Arkoffs

Arkoffs Remote member

On the label design question - could it be that the circle came earlier at one plant or the other? The "earliest" copy I've had was a D1/D2, with the "straight" stamped matrices ... with the 3/4 ring around the label. It was a Scranton pressing (unfortunately I no longer have it to check again, as it went in the 'you have a bunch of beat up copies of this album and some have to go' purge over the summer). The "earliest" copy I currently have is a D7/D8, also "straight" matrices and Scranton, with the ring.

3. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

The fault, dear Bozburn, lies not in ourselves, but in our gorts. That snafu lies squarely at my own feet!

4. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

I can appreciate that with all this detailed information to sort out one may let one slip here or there. Your work is always top notch. Yes, you may have involuntarily made a mistake but it's not like you chopped off a second at the beginning of a song now is it? ;)

bozburn, MLutthans and Arkoffs like this.
  5. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

Good point! It could also be that nobody put a lick of stock in these reissues. I know I didn't -- glad to hear some of them are fairly good -- but I for one, wasn't expecting much. I haven't even purchased this title yet. Maybe I'm still bitter over the MoFi cancellations. Screwy, I know...

But you're right, even if this had happened to a long awaited MFSL release, there'd still be forgiveness -- because we'd be so rejoiced to simply have it. I guess us Sinatra fans are beaten down!

6. Arkoffs

Arkoffs Remote member

So, here's the part where I have to make myself wait and see if they fix the glitch on the ITWSH LP before buying one.

bozburn likes this.
  7. mikrt17

mikrt17 Life has surface noise.

You know that glitch will never be fixed they probably don't even know about it

MLutthans, paulmock and Simon A like this.
  8. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

It is NOT worth not purchasing the album! If Matt hadn't mentioned it I guarantee you 95% of us would not have even noticed it. (Nothing against Matt for bringing it up, mind you. Just sayin'...)

9. James_S888

James_S888 Forum Resident

For Wee Small Hours on HD tracks...
    Does anyone know if the transfer was really done at 192/24?
    Ie., it's not just 44.1/16 or 44.1/24 files renamed 192/24

The way HD tracks did with the Rolling Stones remasters of a couple of years ago. Specifically, Some Girls, remastered at 44.1/24, offered by HD Tracks at 96/24....
    True story. When I Emailed HD tracks, I got an utter shambles of misinformation back....

10. Pants Party

Ooo, the intro to I'll Be Around sounds pretty! :love:

I could better hear what's going on in that little intro. A piano, just slight back off the mic a bit more with the glock doubling it -- and the guitar, closer -- combining very tightly to form a wonderful singular instrument sound. Magical work Mr Riddle.

11. colormesinatra

colormesinatra Forum Resident

Paul,

I'm so glad you brought this up because I was refraining from mentioning it. I never would have noticed it either.

MarkusGermany and Huck Caton like this.
  12. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Well, I admitted I didnt notice. I guess its better than some mangled sound in the middle or something. But still ..come on man...stop with the "cant -get -this -dang -title -completely -right- EVER" thing. Its a bit ridiculous at this point. Do it COMPLETELY correct just once..juuust once.

McLover likes this.
  13. Tom Campbell

Tom Campbell Forum Resident

No, they would never re-cut the vinyl for that. Way too expensive a proposition. I suppose it is possible they could correct the digital download, though the Sinatra camp has historically not displayed that level of perfectionism.

mikrt17 and Simon A like this.
  14. colormesinatra

colormesinatra Forum Resident

As much as I want them to get it right! It's FRANK for f***s sake! In a perfect world they would get it right every time! Why we expect an audiophile release from a company that obviously doesn't care about such things...is beyond me!

15. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Im just getting everyone stirred up because Matt said we are pushovers :D

Kidding aside, right on baby.

Simon A likes this.
  16. Arkoffs

Arkoffs Remote member

Well, there is also the fact that I already have an indeterminate number of copies of this album ... I was sort of holding out for a final copy at this point. That being said, I don't feel bad about having multiples of one of the best albums of all time.

The fact that they got this LP release 99 percent right is a cause for celebration, considering the release history since about 1962 or so.

17. DavidFell

DavidFell Forum Resident

It's not like the first note is completely cut off. It's the attack of the note; but most of the note is there, and you have to be a careful listener to catch the difference.

18. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

Or how about at least discuss/explain it. The fact that they didn't mention it makes one wonder if it is a tape deterioration issue or simply carelessness on the part of the mastering team.

Simon A likes this.
  19. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

From back about 5 pages, for those who are interested and missed it:

20. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

I feel like the new Hi-Res release of Lennon's Imagine has the same issue as "I'll Be Around" where a piece of the very first note of the song "Imagine" is missing. Not a huge deal but not really sure why this had to happen either.

21. Pants Party

For I'll Be Around -- that has to be deliberate, right? I always thought it sounded like a mistake on the original -- the quick fade up. It sounds, in some respects, like less of a mistake now.

22. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

sounds perfectly fine on the '98 Capitol box

MLutthans and mikrt17 like this.
  23. mikrt17

mikrt17 Life has surface noise.

It's just operator error splicing to close to the note.

24. TimM

TimM Senior Member

I downloaded Wee Small Hours from HD Tracks last night and I think it sounds great. I listened to it all the way through twice which is unusual for me these days, but it sounded that good. I'm thrilled to finally hear this album at least close to all its glory.

25. TimM

TimM Senior Member

I downloaded this title from HD Tracks last night and am very pleased with the sound. Finally I own a copy that sounds like I always thought it should. I own a gray label copy that was in poor condition but it showed me what the album should sound like. I also own an early 70's yellow label Capitol album that sounds very good but only includes eleven of the songs. I have the original CD but always thought it sounded lifeless compared to what was obviously possible based on the LP sound. At long last I'm happy with this title.

MarkusGermany and Simon A like this.