Sinatra / Capitol Sound Quality etc.: "This is Sinatra" - (rec. '53-'55, released 1956)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MLutthans, Aug 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff Thread Starter

Sneaky Pete and Bob F like this.
  2. Tony Stucchio

Tony Stucchio Active Member

Before I knew any better (i.e. when I was a kid), I didn't know the difference between this album and his "concept" albums. I have the Starline LP (from my parents' collection), which is how I first heard these songs. I remember when Married with Children first aired, with "Love and Marriage" as the theme song, I said to myself, "Hey, I think I heard that on one of my parents' albums."

I also have the 2-CD Music for Pleasure issue, which I think is great, but for sentimental reasons the LP gets played more, even though it has considerable wear and surface noise. I agree with you that the CD set is probably the best for sound.

MLutthans likes this.
  3. MLutthans

Welcome to the forum!

Yep, as I said at the link, I've got one of those Star Line LPs, too, and it sounds pretty good. Capitol's compression was pretty heavy without sounding all that heavy, so it adds kind of a pleasant puffiness to the whole thing.

4. Tony Stucchio

Thanks.

I need to read up on compression -- I always thought it applied to digital only, where the data points representing the sound waves are compressed in the sense that there are less points on the so-called graph that represents the sound wave. In other words, what happens when you convert from 320kbs, say, to 192kbs.

5. MLutthans

McLover likes this.
  6. bozburn

bozburn Forum Resident

Excellent page Matt! I get a little excited each time an album cover is added to the main page. :edthumbs:

MMM and MLutthans like this.
  7. Tony Stucchio

Thanks. At first reading, it's going directly over my head. :) I'll need to try to absorb it more. I really want to learn more.

BTW, I used to be perfectly happy with my Sinatra collection, until I started reading posts here and on other forums a few years ago. Now I suffering from the "audiophile curse" (even though I'm far from being an audiophile), where I pay more attention to the sound quality instead of enjoying the music, and always thinking that I can upgrade a particular LP/CD. :D But I still find it all fascinating.

Also, my favorite track from this particular LP is "Learnin' the Blues", and is in fact my all-time favorite Sinatra "singles" release.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
  8. MLutthans

Here's an odd little thing I stumbled across on the interwebs:

$_57-27.JPG
    That's a copy of the UK "Dell" release from 1985, and the label bears catalog number ED 2606981, which is the catalog number that is stamped in the deadwax of my copy (details downpage), but is scratched out and replaced with what, to my knowledge, is the regular catalog number for the Dell release, EMS 1237.

I'm sure that others out there have the UK Dell pressing. Is your copy like mine, EMS 1237, or like the one printed, ED 2606981?

My copy's label:
    [​IMG]
    Note the shorter EMS catalog number on the far right.
    For what it's worth, discogs.com lists only the EMS release, not the longer ED number.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2014
  9. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

My copy has the ED 2606981 both on the printed label and stamped in the deadwax. What it doesn't have is that sticker on the front side of the jacket, just below the Capitol/High Fidelity logos. What does that sticker say? And do we think that's an original jacket?

Also, any idea where I can scoop up the Dell TIS Vol. 2 for cheap? The copy of the Dell box I sold to Arkoff had it, the box set I kept was missing it but included Rare Sinatra as a bonus.

10. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

My copy (from the box set) has ED 2606981 on the label and machine-stamped in the dead wax. Also on the jacket spine and back cover (spaced out as "ED 26 0698 1"). No mention of that EMS number anywhere. Also, the Capitol logos at 12 o'clock on the labels have a dark (blue/black) background, not the light (white?) color which appears in the second image above. I.e., mine is just like the top image.

11. MLutthans

I think that's just an exposure issue. My EMS copy's shield area is not white.

Also, @bferr1, I dug around in some of the "usual places" where I get oddball vinyl, and there seems to be a definite paucity of the Dell LP available right now. Maybe somebody else will be able to track one down. There is one copy on discogs for $19 plus shipping. http://www.discogs.com/sell/item/163644308.

I have no idea what that sticker says on the upper photo. Not my copy.

12. MLutthans

Do the ED copies have a 1984 or 1985 date on the back cover? The EMS copy is 1985 (and I purchased it new at The Landing in Bellingham, WA, around 1986).

Last edited: Sep 17, 2014
  13. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

1985 under Alan Dell's name.

MLutthans likes this.
  14. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Matt, FWIW: The WOW database lists three different catalog numbers for British LP versions of TIS:

LCT6123 / EMS1237 / ED260698 1

No date indications. The entry for the version in the 20-LP box set shows only the ED number.

MLutthans likes this.
  15. bozburn

bozburn Forum Resident

EMS1237 on cover, label and deadwax on mine. Also no mention of 1984 or 1985, only 1956.

16. Michael P

Michael P Forum Resident

All you need to know about "compression" in it's classic analog form, is that the dynamic range is altered. In it's extreme case the sound "pumps". If y0u are old enough to remember classic AM Top-40 radio from the 60's the stations used that technique to sound louder than the competition.

17. MLutthans

Well, isn't that interesting! Mine is EMS1237 on the cover (and spine), label, and deadwax, with the ED 2606981 number definitely crossed out in the deadwax. 1985 on the label and cover.

No scratched out number in your deadwax?

18. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

Matt,

Mine is also identical to yours with the ED 2606981 number scratched out and replaced by EMS1237, add to that the cover, spine and disc label also display EMS1237, it seems to me we both have an anomaly.

MLutthans likes this.
  19. hodgo

I'm not sure if this helps, on the back of my cover there is a 1.5 x 0.5 inch label with red text on it that say's Manufacturers Property Not For Sale

IMG_9907.JPG

MLutthans likes this.
  20. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

^^^ The EAN barcode on Graham's EMS is the same as on my ED version.

hodgo likes this.
  21. hodgo

Could these Matt and I have be test pressings Bob?

22. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

I don't think so. Matt mentioned that he bought his in a retail store. My guess is that they were later pressings which involved a catalogue number change. Hence, the scratched-out number in the deadwax. Everything about your image of the top-right-corner back cover (e.g. font) is identical to mine, except the catalogue number(s). (And, of course, the "not for sale" sticker, which I'd bet is coincidental.)

23. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

Mine is exactly the same.

24. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

Thanks for the link!

25. bozburn

bozburn Forum Resident

Nothing scratched out, just the EMS 1237 on both sides and a stamper number, similar to (going on memory) A-1-###-####. Maybe a later pressing, or taken from the 20-record box?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.