Sinatra / Capitol Sound Quality etc.: "This is Sinatra" - (rec. '53-'55, released 1956)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MLutthans, Aug 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff Thread Starter

Does This is Sinatra, Volume Two also have two numbers for the Dell LP in the UK? Here's the label from my copy, with the long ED-yadayada number:
    [​IMG]

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Could you guys make this thread any more boring? Geez!:)

3. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

No. :)

It's like trainspotting for Sinatra junkies.

bozburn likes this.
  4. bozburn

bozburn Forum Resident

We're like the after-school Math club, with turntables and headphones lined up in a row. :p

5. Tony Stucchio

Tony Stucchio Active Member

And louder is of course better, right? :D

Thanks. My mind processes new information better in small chunks. So thanks for that.
    So as far as records go, was "louder" the motivator? Or is cost somehow involved? My conspiracy theorist mind says that the only real reason that a record company would do that is to reduce the cost.

In the digital age, compression means a smaller digital footprint, right? But at least on CDs, I don't think anyone has tried to fit more than about 80 minutes worth, right?

Digital aside (let's pretend it's 1975), if they compressed a Sinatra release, did it take up less real-estate on a piece of vinyl? And it it did (and I don't think it did), how would that save time and money? It seems it would take the same amount of time to press a run of records regardless of how much dead-wax existed.

Forgive the ignorant questions -- I'm just a layman.

6. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

EMS 1238 and ED 26 0699 1

MLutthans likes this.
  7. MLutthans

I think you mis-spelled "meth."

rxcory, hodgo and aoxomoxoa like this.
  8. MLutthans

Nothing wrong with being a layman, says this layman.

You are confusing/conflating compression of data with compression of dynamics (difference between loud and soft within the recording). I can take a 24-bit WAV file and compress it's data to, say, a 24-bit m4a file, which uses a different (data) compression algorhythm, and it will still have all the dynamic range (louds and softs) of the original, but in a smaller data footprint that should be audibly equal to the 24-bit WAV file. That's different data compression (or lack thereof). I can also take a decent-sounding mp3 file (good dynamics and small data size) and change its format to be a 24-bit WAV file (large amounts of data, by comparison), but then compress the dynamics (not the data), resulting in a 24-bit file that is brickwalled (smashed dynamics). That would be a large, (essentially) uncompressed DATA file with very compressed dyanamics.

The two types of compression function different and separately, although it is not uncommon for high bit rate WAV files to have great dynamics and low-bitrate mp3s to have squished (compressed) dynamics. There's no law saying it has to be that way.

As far as why audio (not data) compression was applied to LPs and 45s, there are many reasons for it, and they range through: 1.) It may just sound better to most people that way; 2.) It may "pop out" better on the jukebox speakers or radio; 3.) It overcame noisy vinyl (to a degree); 4.) tube-based cutting systems were used; and on and on and on.

9. Tony Stucchio

Yeah, that was my mental block -- that "compressed" always meant "smaller footprint". Being involved in software development for 25 years (longer if you include school), that's what "compression" meant to me. I think I get it now.

OK, so "compression" does not always equal "bad". And I thought "tube-based cutting system" = good?

Anyway, I should probably post this in another thread rather than clog up this one.
    :D

Alright, my This is Sinatra is a gold-label Star Line, side one is N42", side two is N40. The fonts are different on each side.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2014
  10. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

*Sometimes.*

For the right music/recording, I'm actually more of a fan of vintage tube playback of a master, and solid-state driven lacquer cutting following it. Of course I'm speaking in stereotypes of sound from each...

11. Tony Stucchio

OK, now you're losing me.
    :D
    As I type this I'm listening to an iPod playing Mp3 through my stereo system. (Don't ask -- except for my Thorens turntable, my equipment stinks. But it sounds pretty good to me, actually.)

12. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

What I mean is, matching a complimentary sounding chain to the recording/music during mastering. When I say "tube playback of a master" and "solid-state driven lacquer cutting" here, I mean playing back a master with tube based tape playback, then feeding the final "mastered" signal to solid-state amplifiers that drive the cutting lathe.

Does that help, Tony?

13. Tony Stucchio

Yes, thanks. But to be honest, I've never really understood the electronics of tubes vs. solid-state. But then again, I've never really tried. My oversimplified understanding is that with solid-state technology, they could make things smaller because they got rid of tubes and replaced them with circuit boards with lots of transistors on them.
    I still remember when the TV repairmen would come to the house and fix our TV by pulling a tube from his big metal box and replacing the bad one in the TV. I also remember that the TV had to warm-up before displaying a picture.

MMM likes this.
  14. MLutthans

Funny you would mention that. Yesterday I saw an episode of Bewitched in which Darren created a TV commercial for a pizza company, and twice in the episode, people were shown turning on their TVs, and both times reference was made to waiting for "the set to warm up," and I thought: Do any kids today have a clue about what that means?????! Talk about an archaic concept, and in only a few short years (or so it seems)!

Back to the topic at hand: I have nothing new to add, so I'll throw out a discussion point that nobody has picked up on yet. On the linked page in post #1 (link) I tried to lay out a reasonable way of grading the assorted 12-song editions of the "This is Sinatra" compilation, grading each track on each version on a 1 to 5 scale, then trying to mathematically calculate the "best"-sounding version of the collection as a whole, based on the numbers. Here's what came up:
    Screen shot 2014-09-21 at 10.29.47 PM.jpg
    I realize that it's not a perfect system, but ya know....those two UK editions scored pretty darned well (at the top or close to it) on all twelve songs, at least to my ears. Any thoughts? (Criticisms are always okay in my book. That's why I post clips, so we can talk about the sound.)

If you need to go back and listen to some clips from assorted singles from the album, links to each track are at the bottom of the page.

15. Tony Stucchio

Regardless of the sound, you've got to have a 12"x12" rendition of the cover art, with Frank in a fedora looking over his shoulder, in order to really "have" the album. Definitely one of my favorite all-time LP covers.

16. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

The cover actually stems from the same photo shoot which produced a much earlier album cover:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

17. Arkoffs

Arkoffs Remote member

I gots some catching up to do! I'll check on the This is Sinatra copy I've got and see what it looks like.

(and I'll keep an eye open for Vol 2 for you, bffer1; ironically I'm still looking for Rare Sinatra.)

bferr1 likes this.
  18. Tony Stucchio

Thanks -- I have that LP, too (sort of -- combined with Songs for Young Lovers). I never noticed that he was wearing the same clothes, lol!

19. Arkoffs

Arkoffs Remote member

My This is Sinatra Dell is the ED numbers all the way. Also has an inner sleeve talking about upcoming 1985 releases with it, so I'd bet Bob's guess about which number came first is spot on.

Bob F likes this.
  20. MLutthans

Regarding the new hi-res digital download that is available here: http://www.prostudiomasters.com/search?q=sinatra#quickview/album/2172

This strikes me as pretty unspectacular, uninvolving, and "vanilla," possibly because so many if not all of these tracks have already appeared in excellent digital masterings (thanks largely to the work of Ron Furmanek and Larry Walsh around 25 years ago). None of these new tracks strikes me as being as good as those (and some other) versions.

Also, I'll say this until my dying day: The number one thing that influences my opinion is TONE. The tone here is....meh (IMO). It's mediocre. It's not all that great.

Also, in terms of dynamics, these new "hi-res" (whatever the **** that means) transfers really take it squarely in the shorts compared to other, already available versions.

Here are two columns of DR information:
    Left= the new prostudiomasters.com downloads
    Right = my go-to copies

Screen shot 2014-10-08 at 1.11.22 AM.png
    Not impressive. Not worth the $$$, IMO. My thoughts that have already been posted at my site remain my thoughts after hearing the new set. (Link fixed. Thanks @Simon A .)

Need all twelve tracks in one convenient digital package? Get yourself one of these:
    http://www.amazon.com/This-Is-Frank-Sinatra-1953-1957/dp/B000003PHG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1412756699&sr=8-1&keywords=sinatra 1953-1957

Last edited: Oct 8, 2014
    wvk3, jupiter8, bozburn and 4 others like this.
  21. colormesinatra

colormesinatra Forum Resident

Good to know, Matt. I never intended on buying this edition of "This is Sinatra" anyway. Upon listening to the samples, I clicked on Rain (one of my personal favorites) and it did not sound right to me AT ALL.

MLutthans likes this.
  22. shicorp

shicorp Senior Member

Did you notice any pitch issues, Matt?

I see that the album runs about a minute short in comparison to the UK CD.

23. MLutthans

Nothing caught my ear, no, but I haven't played all the tracks straight through. I just spot checked some things for now. 3:39 AM here; deeply diving into this gets to wait! :) (I heard enough to figure out there wasn't much to hear here!)

Last edited: Oct 8, 2014
    Simon A and shicorp like this.
  24. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

25. Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas Forum Resident

aoxomoxoa likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.