Sinatra / Capitol Sound Quality etc.: "This is Sinatra" - (rec. '53-'55, released 1956)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MLutthans, Aug 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

2. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Sell you mine for $120 ;)

Simon A likes this.
  3. Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas Forum Resident

All the (deserved) praise it gets on this forum (and SFF) may have made it more popular in recent months, but also as it's a UK orginated release there are probably more copies knocking around here.

Simon A likes this.
  4. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff Thread Starter

I'm pretty sure a used copy will still play okay! :laugh: Oh, how things have changed: I bought my copy in 1999 via Berkshire Record Outlet (a heavily classical-leaning source) for something like $5 as a clearance item! Now it's $30 used.

5. MLutthans

Just starting to check this now. I haven't hit every song yet (regarding this detail), but it seems that there is significantly more space between songs. For instance, using the start of the last brass note in "South of the Border" as a reference, the new download is done playing only two seconds after the start (not end) of that note. Another version I have has 9 seconds, but about 7 of that is just "blank."

Still checking the other tracks, though.....

6. MLutthans

Comparing "Young-at-Heart" and "Learnin' the Blues" to other versions:

The openings of both songs have some odd noise in the background (kind of like somebody is pushing on a window screen and scratching at it with their fingernail -- but quietly doing so) that is not on other versions.

Also, on the whole, the new version sounds lower-midrange heavy, giving a somewhat bloated feel to the sound. It's just not very good -- what can I say?????

TENDER TRAP is really subpar. :oops:

As I continue to listen as I type, it strikes me that many (all?) of these tracks sound like there's cotton over the speakers. There's just zero air, no sparkle, and a tubbiness to things. In fact, the more I listen, the more I think this simply has no business being marketed toward the audiophile market. It's just of poor quality, plain and simple.

Take "Tender Trap" for instance. Here's a 30 second clip, starting with the new download version, then transitioning to a 25-year-old CD mastering:
    https://app.box.com/s/snkzh53zzx9zcccnab4c (EDIT: Bad link repaired.)
    (The transition is just prior to the word "single," in case you can't tell.)

Also, here are the waveforms. 1989's "Collectors Series" CD has unfettered dynamics, AS IT SHOULD. The new version? Um..........
    TenderTrapDownload-Collectors.gif
    Those clipped-off waveforms will sound extra audiophile-y in hi-res! :biglaugh:Hopefully the emperor had no photos on iCloud, 'cause he be nekkid.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2014
    Simon A likes this.
  7. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

So is it safe to assume the vinyl they just released is from the same master as this Hi res version?

8. MLutthans

Is it ever safe to assume anything with Sinatra reissues???? (Just teasing, aox!)

I'd say "odds are good," but let's wait and see, I suppose.

Simon A and aoxomoxoa like this.
  9. MLutthans

Sorry to keep flogging the same horse, folks, but I checked my notes from our work on TENDER TRAP over in the Sinatra Singles thread, and here are the dynamic readings from 20+ versions of that song (pardon the chicken-scratch quality of these notes, which were never intended to be viewed by anybody but yours truly):

UK85 = 20.7
    Films & Shows CD - -20.3 (20.1 in mono)- very mildly right heavy- BARELY non-mono 2:54.674
    Hit Collection - 19.8 stereo machine 2:50.092
    Essential -19.6 - 2:53.914***
    COllection - UK - 19.3* stereo machine
    Legendary Singers - 19.2 - nice tone!
    Screen CD - 19.2 stereo machine
    Hit Maker LP - 19.1
    Japan TIS 19.0
    25 Classic Tracks - 18.8 - Same transfer as Collection Aussie
    Collection-Aussie 18.6
    20 Golden Greats - 18.5***
    Collectors 18.4 2:53.980&
    Capitol Years - 18.4&
    At the Movies 1992 = -18.4&
    Sinatra 80th 18.4&
    Select Cahn CD - 18.2**
    Singles Norberg - 18.2**
    UK98 = 17.7 2:53.457
    D1 45 = 17.4?
    D5 45 = 17.1
    5357 = -16.7 - same transfer as FILMS & SHOWS, but differently mastered
    StarLine = 16.3
    The Movie Years LP - 15.9 wet
    Touch - 15.7
    Hi-Res -15.1

The new "hi-res" version has the lowest -db RMS reading out of ALL of the releases. Want to get the least dynamic mono version of this song ever released? You've probably found it! It's even more squished than 1968's lame-o The Sinatra Touch compilation set. That's bad company to keep. It's embarrassing.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2014
    jtaylor, aoxomoxoa, bozburn and 2 others like this.
  10. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

Your notes and thoughts on these are always appreciated Matt. Thanks for sharing!

MLutthans likes this.
  11. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

I'd use "The Tender Trap" from the COLLECTOR'S SERIES disc to demo my stereo.

Simon A and MLutthans like this.
  12. MLutthans

Yes!!!!!! It was one of those "revelatory" releases (referred to here), sound-quality-wise, that were pretty common 25 years ago. Now we've come to a "reality" in which people are getting their naughty bits all a-twitter over the words "hi-rez" when the SOUND of these things is absolutely a crap shoot: Some are good; some are not.

13. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

I just noticed that those images are probably blocked. This is the link that will show them:

—> Sinatra Family Forum: The Early Capitol Days

14. MLutthans

Bob F and Simon A like this.
  15. MLutthans

Side one dynamics, Hi-rez download version vs. the "top choice" versions over in the Sinatra Singles thread:
    TIS SideOneb.gif

Track 4, "From Here to Eternity" is the only one that fares very well (in terms of being comparatively un-squished) on the new version. "Love and Marriage," a very dynamic song at track #3: that big crescendo that we all know thanks to Married with Children is obliterated.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2014
    Simon A likes this.
  16. MLutthans

Side two:
    [​IMG]
    Oy, vay.

(Looks like polarity is reversed on a couple. Should have caught/fixed that. Sorry!)

Simon A likes this.
  17. MLutthans

Well.....isn't this interesting.....

Side two HD download vs. Side two just-released LP:
    [​IMG]
    (Thanks for the help on this, @AxeD !)

(The HD download, clearly attempting to exploit the inherent technical capabilities of the HD formats, is the clipped off one.)

Attached Files:

Simon A likes this.
  18. MLutthans

First blush from listening to some LP clips from @AxeD --

The LP is a vast (not a subtle) improvement over the HD version. It is UNCOMPRESSED (EDIT: see further comments farther down the page) and sounds good. (I haven't had a chance to compare to any older versions, but the HD version is very poor by comparison to this 2014 LP. Very encouraging for those who own turntables. Bad news for digital-only listeners!)

EDIT: There is a definite lean toward a soft top end and a mildly bloated lower-mid-&-bass range on the LP, at least in the transfer of these clips. No compression, though! (EDIT: See further comments farther down the page.)

aoxomoxoa and AxeD like this.
  19. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

And here I was ready to assume that the new LPs match the new hi-res downloads. Oh well, you know what they say about assuming. I'm afraid we're going to have to do this same comparison for all the newly-released albums.

20. MLutthans

But I'm tired NOW........ :laugh:

aoxomoxoa and Simon A like this.
  21. MLutthans

I'm always a little slow to condemn an LP based on needledrops, but what I'm hearing -- while MILES above the HD downloads - does not impress me. Needs to be un-remastered. (I'm kidding....sort of.)

There's something really odd going on here. What I heard on THE GAL THAT GOT AWAY, for instance, was lower mid-heavy, with no sparkle up top. I'm listening to part of YOUNG-AT-HEART now, and it's got treble in spades, as they say. Weird. The big loud brassy part of TENDER TRAP sounds like the trumpets are behind a curtain.

Anybody who actually owns the LP able to comment on those tracks? (Again: I don't have the LP. This is just my impression from hearing some bits and pieces, quickly.)

22. MLutthans

I need to revise this slightly. While there are no clipped waveforms (as there are on the HD version), there is definitely some mild compression going on with the 2014 vis-a-vis other versions. Not awful, but it's there (be it deliberate or something inherent in the cutting chain/process being used).

23. MLutthans

24. MLutthans

Listening to the HD versions, I've got another beef, sonics aside: If I line the tracks up and play them as I would an LP or CD, there is virtually zero time between the end of one track and the start of another. It's like I'm listening to some Sinatra show on a BLOCK PARTY WEEKEND on FM radio, and it just goes from one cut straight to the next, almost literally. The LP and it's two official CD incarnations were nothing like that, and it's not true to the spirit of the album.

aoxomoxoa and Simon A like this.
  25. DaleH

DaleH Forum Resident

I'll tell you I'm not sure I could live with either of these. The new LP has a real boxy bass, to the point of distraction. The '84 has too much top and the horns at the end are brutal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.