Sinatra / Capitol Sound Quality and General Discussion: "Where Are You?" (1957 album)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MLutthans, Jan 13, 2010.

1. DLant

DLant The Upstate Gort Staff

I second that motion!

rangerjohn likes this.
  2. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

It's amazing he was able to perform it (in between laughing) as well as he did, with being smothered in leaves.

DLant likes this.
  3. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff Thread Starter

From another Sinatra thread:
    I will have to dig out the reel, but in the meanwhile:

iTunes has a 90-second freely-available clip of "I'm a Fool to Want You" posted. Wanting to stay within the confines of that free clip, here is a clip that starts with about 30 seconds from the MFSL stereo LP (using the 1959, commonly-available stereo mix), transitioning into the August, 1958 stereo LP, "Stars in Stereo." It's clearly a unique mix (in LP terms), and if not the same mix as the 1958 "Stars in Stereo" reel, it certainly approximates its style. Have a listen: https://app.box.com/s/6t635cab5ezwu63w5zt8

I've made many comments intimating that I'm no fan of the 1959 stereo mix of WHERE ARE YOU, which is very soupy and "hard" sounding to me, and those qualities do not serve the music well at all, IMHO. The "reel mix" is much more sympathetic to the music's style, I think.
    StarsInStereoLabel.jpg
    Interesting side note: This very early Capitol LP has only this in the side one deadwax: "SW-1-1062" -- no D or N or all that stuff we know and love. Similar situation on side two.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
    rxcory, MMM and Steve Hoffman like this.
  4. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Maybe make a comparison clip with the reel version of THE STARS IN STEREO, Matt? I know it's messed up, but...

Interesting about the dead area info. Does it have an * there? That label is "west coast"...

5. MLutthans

No other marks of any kind, but I did just notice that on side one the "S" is backwards. Odd.

6. MLutthans

Here you go: STARS IN STEREO reel first, STARS IN STEREO stereo LP second. I think they are different mixes, but with similar reverb levels on the vocal.

https://app.box.com/s/l94hh7875wm2vexdwvih

OK, the reel defect is this: The first several seconds have right channel info only (voice and orchestra), with the left channel totally blank. The left channel then fades up quickly (a definite fade, not a cut), then there are several seconds of "ticks" that sound similar to static on an LP. The left orchestra track is totally out of phase, and there's some level tinkering going on for a few seconds. Finally, over 3 minutes in, there's a POP and the track is improved from there on out. Here's the transition from "bad" to "good:"

https://app.box.com/s/lcjxam1jg5dqpfi7qj6a

7. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Does "The Stars In Stereo" LP have the same issues with the Frank Sinatra track as the two track issue does? Enquiring minds wish to know. Thanks. It is threads like this one which make me proud to be a Steve Hoffman Forum Member. I really enjoy all the perspectives on FS albums here and have equally enjoyed being an active part of the forum discussions here. Especially since I am an avid Sinatraphile.

8. MLutthans

No, the LP track is fine. (Clips are in the posts prior to this one, and are representative of the entire track.)

9. wcarroll

wcarroll Senior Member

Thanks Matt for posting the clip.

I confirmed that I have two copies of "The Stars In Stereo" reel. It has been a while since I played either of them, but I really don't remember the defects or transistion. Sounds like the defects are very obvious, so surely I would have noticed! Maybe it was fixed at some point? I will see about taking a listen to them both asap!

MLutthans likes this.
  10. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Matt, that might be the same mix, but I'm not sure. The off-sync channels on the tape are throwing me off too much. Sorry. The tape seems to sound better though - the LP doesn't have the greatest tone...

11. MLutthans

FWIW, the waveforms look wildly different.

12. MLutthans

On the question of whether the ZD-17 Where Are You reel was released in late 1957 or early 1958, I still don't have an answer, but I did find it listed in "new releases" in Billboard on January 6, 1958:
    CapitolStereoTapeReleases010658.jpg
    ....and an ad in the same issue:
    CapitolStereoTape.jpg

MMM likes this.
  13. MLutthans

Continuing with that Stars in Stereo LP:

My guess is that it was in Capitol's very first batch of Capitol stereo LP releases, and that it hit shelves in August of 1958. From Billboard:
    Screen shot 2013-08-29 at 10.59.35 PM.png
    Screen shot 2013-08-29 at 10.59.45 PM.png
    Screen shot 2013-08-29 at 10.59.06 PM.png

14. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

It's interesting that except for RCA, the "big" labels lagged behind the relatively smaller ones in initially issuing stereo LPs.

15. Malcolm Blackmoor

Malcolm Blackmoor Forum Resident

Durng the late 1950s, at the end of the 78 era, I worked part time in a record store of which a cousin was the manager. I was given four Frank Sinatra 78s from final stock and they're in good condition. I've not had a suitable player for a long time and have no intention of buying one.

I'd be very happy to give them to a member of this forum who lives in London.

From here to eternity/My one and only love.

Can I steal a little love/Your love for me.

Look to your heart/Love and marriage.

Chicago/All the way.

Malcolm Blackmoor [email protected]

DLant, KipB, MMM and 1 other person like this.
  16. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

How wonderfully generous of you, <Malcolm. I am not asking for them as I live in L.A. and have no way of playing them. But I just had to say "thank you" from the Sinatraphiles here.

17. wcarroll

wcarroll Senior Member

Matt, I played "I'm a Fool to Want You" from both of my copies of the Stars in Stereo reel today. Both play perfectly fine with no defects. Of course I had to listen through "A Cottage for Sale" before rewinding. :)

Simon A likes this.
  18. MLutthans

You lucky dog!

Well, since I've discovered that another excellent pre-1959 stereo mix is on the The Stars in Stereo LP, I'm not as crushed as I would have been a couple of weeks ago, but I'm still disappointed that each of my three copies has the same problem. Par for the course, I guess!

19. MLutthans

Regarding that bolded bit at the end: I noticed tonight that there IS additional writing inscribed in the deadwax area, but it's actually beneath the label, and just the very bottom of the letters/numbers stick out beyond the label. I can make out that both sides of my Stars in Stereo LP are D1 cuts.

On a related side note: I picked up a UK pressing of this, and it's made, surprisingly, from USA metal parts, D5 on both sides.

20. MLutthans

Next-day bump for this oddity (above). Anybody else have any Capitol LPs with matrix stuff etched into the label (not deadwax, per se) area? I had never seen this before.

21. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Nice knowing that some copies of the 2 track "The Stars In Stereo" exist without defects. Thanks for that post.

22. DLant

DLant The Upstate Gort Staff

Bump for this marvelous album. Listening to the MoFi mono SACD again tonight. The stuff dreams are made of.

MMM likes this.
  23. MLutthans

One more pic from these sessions?
    DSC_0643.jpg
    Same writing on the mic body; same cufflinks. (Sadly for Paulmock, no photo of a coffee cup.)

24. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Yes it is, Matt.

25. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

It's on his stool!