Sinatra Capitol Years 20 lp set - Opinions needed

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by eddiel, May 13, 2008.

1. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

It is not unobtainable ... although the cost would hurt. Wait -- my CD edition has 21, but the vinyl on 20. Something's missing. Still, it's not unobtainable.

2. teag

teag Forum Resident

I have this and the mfsl. The mfsl is better sounding and better vinyl from Japan. And all analog.

3. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Not necessarily so. There are several LPs in that are not even in the MFSL. The Dell digital cuts are mostly good.

4. teag

teag Forum Resident

Matter of opinion of course. But I don’t tow the party line on this one.

Maybe we should get back on topic.

5. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

The 21st disc in the CD edition, The Rare Sinatra, is an expanded version of an earlier LP. But, as has been discussed here in more appropriate threads, there is little connection between the LP and CD box sets other than the title and the liner notes. They are very different masterings.
    :agree:

Simon A and aoxomoxoa like this.
  6. Richard--W

Very different masterings.
    Sheesh.
    Are you implying the CD box is the better mastering?

7. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Depends on which title. (Wee Small Hours in the CD box is by far the best.) But there are better threads for such comparisons.

Richard--W likes this.
  8. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

aoxomoxoa and hodgo like this.
  9. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

@Bob F Re-reading that thread I again loudly roared when I came across this classic Bob F line:

My wife issued an edict: "The records, or me and the kids." I had to think about it, but the records took third place.

MLutthans, hodgo and Bob F like this.
  10. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

See this post in a more suitable open thread:
    Sinatra / Capitol: General Purpose Sound Quality (and more) Discussion Thread*

Richard--W likes this.
  11. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Back at that time, I purchased all of the UK albums individually. A local dealer who got that box (after the LPs were harder to find) sold the records by the piece and then tried to sell the empty box for $50. I passed it up.

paulmock and Richard--W like this.
  12. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

You had to buy "The Rare Sinatra" separately

Richard--W likes this.
  13. Richard--W

Under the circumstances I'll stick with the CD set, which has it.

I now have a handful of Sinatra's Capitol LP's. I wouldn't mind finding one of those empty boxes to keep them standing straight and stiff in.

I plan on getting the MoFi vinyl box in due course, when I find the right one in the right condition at the right price at the right time.

14. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

An empty Black Box was on eBay last week...but looked pretty beat up.

15. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

In the vast changeover to CDs, the MOFI Silver box started going for low prices. Most copies are mint (at least the 20 or so I have seen), as I think owners rarely (or never) played them. I got my copy for $100 back then, and saw a number of others at that price in shops (pre-internet crazy days). I avoided it at release time, as I preferred original LPs (still do)

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
    jpreza likes this.
  16. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Now, I kind of wish I had that empty box, as I bought extra new copies of all of the UK LPs at $3 each from Chick Wilson when he was clearing out his LPs.

17. teag

teag Forum Resident

The black box is not the best quality. The silver box is better made.

18. teag

teag Forum Resident

I believe there are 2, not several.

19. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Three: The two This Is Sinatra! volumes and Point of No Return are missing from the MFSL box. Plus the expanded versions of Songs for Young Lovers and Swing Easy!, with four extra songs each.

Simon A and hodgo like this.
  20. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

To be clear, I'm not saying "The Dell 20-LP set is the best complete set." I'm saying that a case could be made that it is, and again, ALL of the compete sets have some or all of these issues:

•Missing titles (making some "complete" sets more -- or less -- complete than others, and I use "complete" in quotes, as none of these sets claims to be complete, but I think we colloquially speak of them that way)
    •Wrong tapes used (mostly "reverb-added" problems)
    •Defects, big and small (dropouts, channels reversed, sections of songs missing, etc.)
    •Wrong running order

The UK 20 LP set brings a lot of positives to the table, along with a fair number of negatives. The same can be said of the MFSL box, the Walsh Concepts box (never mind the Norberg set), and the UK Dell CD box. I'm glad I have all four; they're all some degree of "mixed bag."

jpreza, paulmock, Bob F and 2 others like this.
  21. Ronald Sarbo

Ronald Sarbo Forum Resident

It's a disgrace that there is no complete Capitol box where his tenure there cannot be followed in chronological order; recording session by recording session.

22. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Take that one up with Chuck Granata!!!!

23. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

I agree, but in this day and age, you can roll your own. The hard thing is collecting the best existing instance of each track and remastering them all consistently.

24. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

I don’t think he has any influence over the Capitol catalog.

25. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

jpreza, Simon A and Bob F like this.