Sinatra Capitol Years 20 lp set - Opinions needed

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by eddiel, May 13, 2008.

1. teag

teag Forum Resident

Ah, yes. I forgot Point of No Return.

As for the expanded versions of Swing Easy and Young Lovers in the Dell box, I believe the MFSL maintains the original release song order of each and the Dell mixes the order and add tracks. The MFSL Swing Easy/Young Lovers is one the best sounding Sinatra LPs I have ever heard, certainly in the top 5. Add that to the pristine Japanese vinyl and I'll take it any day over the poor sound (by comparison) of the Dell digital release on vinyl.

2. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

They were first reissued that way in the US in 1962 (after Sinatra left Capitol). I agree the original 10-inch releases (on each side of the MFSL 12-inch two-fer) are far superior. Just pointing out the difference between the two box sets.

3. Ronald Sarbo

Ronald Sarbo Forum Resident

Granata has always opposed presenting the recordings of the Capitol Concept albums in session/chronological order. That is his major criticism of the complete Reprise box.

MLutthans likes this.
  4. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

He has said more than once that he did not think it would do then Capitol catalog justice by doing it chronologically.

Simon A likes this.
  5. jpreza

jpreza Forum Resident

Hey guys,

Wading myself through so much information regarding Sinatra releases on vinyl and CDs. Thank you everyone for helping me get educated about "The Voice". I've been playing the twofer Swing Easy/Songs For Young Lovers non-stop over the last week, and making my way through the best version of "In The Wee Small Hours" album, which is a whole book all by itself.

That said, I see recommendations about specific releases which sound best either on the 1992 Concepts US CD Box, the 1998 Capitol Years UK CD Box, or the 1983 MFSL Vinyl Box (which I recently acquired). With all these great recommendations, there was a 1984 UK Vinyl Box "The Capitol Years" that I don't see being mentioned anywhere as being good or bad.

Does anyone have any recommendations about it?

TIA....JP

Last edited: Dec 28, 2023
  6. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

7. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Threads merged.

jpreza likes this.
  8. jpreza

jpreza Forum Resident

Thank you sire!

MLutthans likes this.
  9. jpreza

jpreza Forum Resident

If you shop around on eBay, you can still find the MFSL Silver Box relatively cheap compared to the Beatles MFSL Box. I seriously started looking for a Sinatra MFSL Silver Box a few months back. Prices can range from as little as $350 to $1000 and more if it's still sealed.

Being a newbie Sinatra fan, having grown up listening to the 3-CD Capitol Years from 1990, the 4-CD Reprise Years set from the same year, and later the 4-CD Capitol Singles Collection, I wanted a MFSL Silver Box that was opened so I could play the records.

Finally, earlier this month, I was able to grab one for under $350 shipped. Considering inflation, I feel this is a good deal. In reading this thread, I am now on the hunt for the true "Dell" Capitol Years UK Vinyl Box!

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  10. jpreza

jpreza Forum Resident

I'd definitely agree with you. It'd be awesome to have a book similar to the Beatles Recording Sessions by Mark Lewisohn!

11. jpreza

jpreza Forum Resident

And for some reason, (and I'm stating the obvious here) neither the MFSL or UK vinyl box contained the Jolly Christmas album! But the 1992 US Concepts CD Box does. Go figure!

Last edited: Dec 29, 2023
  12. MLutthans

The nice thing about that UK box is that every title in there was also sold individually, so mint copies can be found with relative ease. The Nat King Cole box that came out a year or two later had one title that was only in the box set, but that wasn't the case with Sinatra.

I really kick myself that a few years back I came across a sealed Nat King Cole set in a record shop down in Ashland, Oregon, and passed on it.

Library Eye likes this.
  13. MLutthans

JOLLY CHRISTMAS bears the number "17" on the spine, so it's clearly intended to be an addendum to the MFSL box.

There s also is a very good sounding UK edition of the album that came out in 1983 that "plays nicely" with the UK box. This one:
    https://www.discogs.com/release/3884765-Frank-Sinatra-The-Sinatra-Christmas-Album
    [​IMG]
    If you have the MFSL, this is superfluous, but it sounds very good on its own terms.

Simon A and jpreza like this.
  14. jpreza

jpreza Forum Resident

Thanks! I became aware of the number "17" on the Jolly Christmas vinyl, which obviously it was meant to be put in the silver box. This year, I spun my Jolly Christmas Walsh CD. That said, the Jolly Christmas vinyl is one of my many "music" resolutions for 2024. In no particular order, here's my list:

1. Sinatra Jolly Christmas MFSL vinyl
    2. 1984 UK Dell 20-LP vinyl box
    3. 1998 UK Capitol Years 21-CD box
    4. 1998 Complete Reprise Studio Collection 20-CD box (suitcase)
    5. Point Of No Return Promo MFSL vinyl
    6. Sealed With The Beatles MFSL single vinyl (with hype sticker)
    7. Sealed Rubber Soul MFSL single vinyl (with hype sticker)
    8. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band UHQR Box (opened or sealed)

15. MLutthans

Re: #5

I have heard it. Nothing to get excited about. Technical defects abound on side two. The UK Dell LP remains, for me, the best-sounding version, by a good margin. The unreleased MFSL sounds virtually identical, but with ruinous, flaming, obvious defects in multiple spots on side two. If you have the Dell, you essentially have the sound of the unreleased MFSL, minus the crappiness (if I may be blunt).

Re: #6

I will never forget being in Golden Oldies, when they were located somewhere up around State and James streets in Bellingham, Washington, around 1989 or 1990, and finding that LP in mint condition just sitting there in the Beatles section of the bins for $20. I soiled myself, and then proceeded to the register and purchased it. Still have it!

jpreza likes this.
  16. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

When I worked in a record store 50+ years ago, we had a sealing machine in the back that could match any new manufacturer seal, including for box sets.

Many stores had them.

I understand paying more for superb condition, but seals can be faked.

jpreza likes this.
  17. jpreza

jpreza Forum Resident

Good callout on that! I like how MoFi/MFSL does and did it back then with the oversized baggie and the tearoff on one side. It's a little more difficult to fake that type of seal.

MLutthans likes this.
  18. jpreza

jpreza Forum Resident

DAMN!! You scored!!

I was never that lucky. In fact, I was a poor kid back living in LA in the late 80s when the CD craziness was in full bloom. I had a few of the rarer Small Capitol Dome purple labels that I traded away for $2 to $4 apiece. I do remember seeing a sealed MFSL AHDN for $24.99 at a store. Instead, I got the shiny new 1987 CD for $18.99, now worth about 50 cents if that. The MFSL AHDN is around $125-$150!! Oh well!

MLutthans likes this.