Sinatra/Jobim "all versions" comparison including the 2004 German 180g LP*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ArneW, Mar 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ArneW

ArneW Senior Member Thread Starter

Hi,

I snatched up a copy of the new german 180g Sinatra/Jobim LP and did a quick comparison to all the prior releases of this album at hand last night.

1) NEW 180g LP Warner Strategic Marketing (WSM) 7599 27041-1

I still don't know if I'm happy to own a german version of Kevin Gray's new cutting* or something totally different. It does have a beige WSM sticker on the cover saying "From the original master tapes"#, but you never know... could be nothing more than a clever marketing trick. However, it sounds good. The vinyl is dead quiet. Sinatra's voice is more open without being too in-your-face. I also liked the sound of the strings, which sound more rich and don't dissolve into an unidentified background as this is the case with the older LP. This new 180 g LP has the most "natural" sound of the versions I have heard so far (especially the guitar comes out great) The one bad thing about it (if at all) is that you also instantly realize how close to the truth the 20-bit-EOTC CD probably is.

# It really could be the new mastering IMO. Before the music starts, there is a noticeable amount of tape hiss on "Girl from Ipanema" I've never noticed before, indicating the track might have come from a different source.

*That's what the runout groove says: Side A: B382798-01 A1 A33 07599270411 S1 320, Side B: B382798-01 B1 A33 07599270411 S2 320

2) Early 1980s regular LP issue Reprise FS-1021**

This is the most "relaxed" sounding of the bunch, which can be attributed to the much softer attack of the percussion instruments. I like the "original" feel, but have to admit that both Sinatra's and Jobim's voice appear to be thinner and slightly compressed or "filtered" in some way, sometimes giving even the faint impression of an overdub. Especially Jobim sounds like he was singing into a bucket at times. But even if there are differences, they are certainly not night and day. I could live with this LP forever if I didn't have the obsession to collect all versions.

** Side A: FS-1-1021-SR1 1-2, Side B: FS-2-1021-SW2#1 ~ SPO4

3) Original late 1980s CD issue

The sound is closer to the older LP than I recalled, although I'm not sure it was cut from the original stereo master as MMM stated in the Sinatrafamily forum. The overall tonality is about the same compared to the LP, but bass and percussion are already a lot tighter giving the impression of a much louder album. Still, this is the CD version to have; not because of the sonics but because the remix used for the 20-bit-EOTC version is fundamentally wrong.

4) 20-bit EOTC CD

The sound is very good, but the mix is very bad. It's one detail which has always bugged me. At first I didn't know what it was, but the recent comparison has opened my eyes (or ears): Jobim's voice is too loud. The original mix features him more as a kind of supporting actor, whereas the remix sees his vocal contribution lifted to a "second lead" position. This may be politically correct, but it has nothing to do with what the album sounded like when it was released back in 1967.

5) Reprise Studio Recordings 20 disc set (the "trunk")

I always thought it to be the same mastering as the older CD, but surprisingly it isn't. It is much brighter, with lots of tape hiss throughout. Perhaps someone has EQ'd it to match the other tracks in the set, but something tells me the source is entirely different. Sonically, it is the worst CD transfer of this album.

That's it. Now, discuss.

Arne

aoxomoxoa likes this.
  2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Look in the leadout groove. If Kevin Gray cut it, there will be a "KG" written there..

3. ArneW

I'll look as soon as I get home, Mr. Tonmeister, and post the result.

4. Steve Hoffman

Good. Then we'll know.

Too bad you can't hear my mix from the four-track. I think I "nailed it"!

5. poweragemk

poweragemk Old Member

Indeed. :sigh:

6. ArneW

Naaaa-na-nanaaah-naaaa. :sigh:

7. Steve Hoffman

Heh, not trying to taunt, just speaking out of frustration, like any "artiste" who's work was ignored or destroyed..

8. poweragemk

poweragemk Old Member

Zese animals, zey don't appreciate ze work of ze tonmeister...vee vill make zem pay, no?

;)

9. ArneW

Sorry, no KG in the leadout grooves on either side. I wonder who cut it from which tapes. Anyway, he did a good job. Sigh, seems like I have to order a U.S. copy from Red Trumpet.

Arne

10. Steve Hoffman

They didn't use the original tapes, that's for sure...

11. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Arne, it is different. That's the remix that you don't like that's also on the current issue CD, but with different mastering.

12. Has anybody else here heard the mono mix? I really like the sound of it.

13. Loud Listener

Loud Listener Forum Resident

According to an interview with Willem Makkee on Michael Fremer's site the '320' means it was cut on his lathe at Hanover. He also talks about how he is not allowed (company policy) to put his initials in the dead wax.

This may not be Kevin's Cut. I think there might be two versions of this being released, or the German one may already exist. I started to order one at Music Direct but it was much more expensive (29.99 vs 17.99) and did not list it as being cut by Kevin Gray like Acoustics Sounds does.

14. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

I just received (and have not yet played) a Japanese Warner/Pioneer white label promo LP of this album, catalogue number P-10844R. My guess is that it's from the early '80s.

Why would a promo copy be issued so many years after the original release?

Attached Files:

15. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

If that thing is like the others from that period in Japan it should be a "gasser".

16. Ronald Sarbo

Ronald Sarbo Forum Resident

The P series were re-issues. The original Reprise albums in Japan were distributed by Cosdel and had SJET pre-fixes for stereo and JET for Mono.

The P series LPs were all stereo. Japan often issued white label promo or sample copies when they launched a new series of LPs.

17. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

I have several "P" LP's and their sound is spectacular along with absolutely silent platters.

18. MLutthans

Have we established that the Kevin Gray LP from a few years back uses the original mix? I own it, and it sounds like the original mix to me, but when I A/B'd it with this Japanese pressing I got yesterday, I notice this: 1.) Jobim's guitar is 100% far left on the Japanese copy, but about 85% "as far over sounding" on the Gray. 2. The flutes do the same thing, but on the right side.

My guess? It's just a mastering difference, not a mix difference, but it's an odd thing how the KG version is a little narrower. (I'm not saying it's better or worse, just different.)

They both sound very good, but definitely very different from each other. Both are also on very high quality vinyl, so "two thumbs up" on that front from me!

Matt

19. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

Wound't it be on red wax as well?
    A friend of mine had a original Japanese Anthem Of The Sun and it was a Cosdel press on red wax.

20. McLover

McLover Senior Member

The Mono mix is superb. Love it. Hard to find in nice condition but out there. Paid $2 for my very nice example. I really love this LP in mono but don't dislike the Stereo LP at all.

21. bilgewater

bilgewater Forum Resident

Wow, such a detailed discussion.

I'll have to recheck the LP version I bought used a while ago.

The basic question: presuming I have a pressing later than first stamping (but pre-cd era), how much better will a newfangled LP cut be, and how do they rank?

I really wish this was a longer album. It makes me soooo relaxed that it's very hard to lift my ruckus off the club chair... In fact, it sounds like everyone was seated comfortably while recording it too.

22. KipB

KipB Forum Resident

I picked up the mono lp in shrink wrap for $15 last night because of this thread. Wonderful! It takes the listening experience that I've always liked very much to the next level ... And it's all over all too soon ...

23. MickAvory

MickAvory Forum Resident

I've spent a few years at thrift stores finding Sinatra vinyl that's clean. I've got most of the 60s Reprise output picked up for less than about $30 total. I know I have a few mono copies of That's Life. I think I have a mono Jobim at home. Will check later.

24. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Yup! I agree. This is one album where I wish they had done 20 songs and made it a double LP. The sun, moon and all planets were aligned just perfectly the nights these sessions took place.

Congrats on the fine mono copy acquisition.

Gardo likes this.
  25. MLutthans

From a thread about The Concert Sinatra:

I picked up a Canadian Sinatra/Jobim LP today, and yeah, it looks weird!
    DSC_0854b.jpg

mahanusafa02 and aoxomoxoa like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.