Sinatra - Jobim Complete Reprise Recordings

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MLutthans, Mar 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff Thread Starter

2. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

I'll believe this after I actually see and hear it. And maybe not even then. Why has such a cosmically important recording gotten so little attention?

3. wave

wave Forum Resident

Thank you for starting this thread, Matt.

While we're waiting for this release, it would be appreciated if anyone (Bob?) could contribute information, articles or pictures relating to Sinatra and Jobim's 1967/1969 collaborations.

I'll start with a few pictures I found online:

Attached Files:

4. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

5. wave

wave Forum Resident

A few more pics:

Attached Files:

6. wave

wave Forum Resident

The exceedingly rare, recalled 8-track (1969):

Attached Files:

7. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

why was the 8 track recalled?

8. RKMiller

RKMiller Forum Resident

SINATRA/JOBIM: THE COMPLETE REPRISE RECORDINGS
    1. The Girl from Ipanema
    2. Dindi
    3. Change Partners
    4. Quiet Nights of Quiet Stars
    5. Meditation
    6. If You Never Come to Me
    7. How Insensitive
    8.I Concentrate on You
    9. Baubles, Bangles and Beads
    10. Once I Loved
    11. The Song of the Sabia
    12.Drinking Water
    13. Someone to Light Up My Life
    14. Triste
    15. This Happy Madness
    16. One Note Samba
    17. Don’t Ever Go Away
    18. Wave
    19. Off Key
    20. Bonita

9. wave

wave Forum Resident

I've heard several different reasons, but was never convinced by any of them. Here's a little more on the 8-track: http://www.8trackheaven.com/sinatra.html

10. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

It doesn't come out for another five weeks. Release date is May 4th. It received attention in the earlier thread here (starting with post #448), and on the Sinatra Family Forum, where it was first announced two months ago:

11. wave

wave Forum Resident

Recording dates (from Ed O'Brien and Scott P. Sayers Jr.'s SINATRA: The Man and His Music):

January 30: Baubles, Bangles and Beads / I Concentrate On You / Dindi / Change Partners / If You Never Come To Me (no final master)
    January 31: Quiet Nights Of Quiet Stars / If You Never Come To Me / The Girl From Impanema / Meditation
    February 1*: Once I Loved / How Insensitive
    *Something Stupid and Drinking Again were also recorded at this session

February 11: One Note Samba / Don't Ever Go Away / Wave / Bonita
    February 12: Someone To Light Up My Life / Desafinado / Drinking Water / Bonita
    February 13: Song Of The Sabia / This Happy Madness / Triste

12. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

According to the short explanation in Sinatra Treasures by Charles Pignone (which contains the Greyhound Bus artwork):

13. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

So now Frank's concerns are being ignored? I don't feel comfortable with THAT.

On a happier note, SOMETHING STUPID (a fun duet with daughter Nancy) and DRINKIN' AGAIN are two great songs. The first went to number one on the pop charts, the second a classic "drinking" song. Both recorded at the same session as ONCE I LOVED and HOW INSENSITIVE. Now THAT was a good day in the studio.

McLover likes this.
  14. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Well, seven of the ten songs on the withdrawn 1969 album were later issued on one side of the 1971 LP, SINATRA & COMPANY. The other three tracks appeared on official releases during Sinatra's lifetime, presumably with his knowledge and approval.

Tim Wilson and MLutthans like this.
  15. wave

wave Forum Resident

Bonita, Song Of The Sabia and Desafinado. Three great songs!

16. Todd E

Todd E Forum Resident

Steve, you are well aware of the respect for the artist's wishes once said artist is out of the way and the work is in the hands of the estate.

For that matter, this forum often features discussions by people who want everything out, when that was clearly not the artist's intent. And that's not even getting into the area of presumably artist-approved mastering, artwork, etc..

All things considered, I think the Sinatra family is handling things pretty tastefully.

17. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Cover photo, by Ed Thrasher, for the unreleased album (from MPTV Images):

[​IMG]

18. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

That's good. Guess he got over what it was he was upset about.

McLover likes this.
  19. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

20. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

The interesting thing is one of the songs from the 2nd album, "Song of the Sabia", came out on a single a good bit before the SINATRA & CO. album. That had 7 other songs from these sessions, all on its side one. "Bonita" came out later in the '70's, but not in the U.S. That left "Desafinado" as the only song from the sessions unreleased for a long time - until the 1995 "Complete" Sinatra/Reprise 20CD box.

21. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Both songs involved personnel changes. The Western Recorders session was split into two parts. Union contracts describe it as two sessions.

From 8 to 10:30 p.m., the ork was conducted by Claus Ogerman. "Once I Loved" and "How Insensitive" were recorded first. Then, Jobim and his percussionist Dom Um Romão stepped out during the recording of "Drinking Again," which was not intended for the Sinatra/Jobim album.

From 10:30 p.m. to midnight, Billy Strange took over the baton for "Somethin' Stupid" with daughter Nancy.

BTW, Glen Campbell received guitar credits in both sessions that evening.

22. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

No, it did not contain "Off Key" ("Desafinado"). Sinatra specifically denied that track to Brazilian producer Roberto Quartin. Quartin substituted "A Day in the Life of a Fool" ("Manhã de Carnaval"), a Don Costa arrangement recorded a week after the Jobim-Deodato sessions.

23. zebop

Yep, you're right. Where I "found" it, it came from somewhere else entirely....

24. RKMiller

RKMiller Forum Resident

However, this release also includes Drinking Again which is not a Sinatra/Jobim song. It was recorded the same day as a Sinatra/Jobim session but does not feature Jobim on the recording.

25. zebop

Well that's weird. Turns out I don't have that 1979 album but the tracks from the two sessions. Drinking Again's on "Sinatra and Company" and I do have that somewhere...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.