Sinatra - Jobim Complete Reprise Recordings

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MLutthans, Mar 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChadHahn

ChadHahn Forum Resident

My copy says Mono on the spine but Stereo on the front and more importantly, on the LP.

Chad

2. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

Well Done in your find of the mono Sinatra/Jobim Matt, I bet that's made your christmas. :righton:

3. rangerjohn

rangerjohn Forum Resident

Congratulations, Matt! What wonderful finds. A true Christmas blessing.

(And a boon to all of us, as I'm sure you'll be posting your analysis of the different LP and CD mixes/pressings before too long!)

4. floweringtoilet

floweringtoilet Forum Resident

I have a mono copy of that. I had no idea it was hard to find.

5. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

nice scores! in another time we'd of been able to hear some samples of these....

I hope they exceed your expectations...

6. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

Is the mono Sinatra/Jobim a fold-down or a dedicated mix? I have a pristine mono copy and a German stereo, but I've never compared the two.

7. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

When Warner Bros. was ridding their stock of mono recordings in the early 70's there were lots of mix-and-match LP covers with mono jackets having "stereo" stickers on the front, etc.

8. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Real mono mix. It's nice.

CBackley likes this.
  9. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Martin,

You are so correct. As our mutual friend Matt did a few months ago, today I stumbled across a hardly ever played mono LP for $2.99. I am playing it now and it truly sounds teriffic!

CBackley likes this.
  10. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Realize that the mono version is a mix from the multi-track, not a live mono mix like an earlier Sinatra would be. They ran a mono tape during the sessions as well as the four track but since they had to dip Frank's vocal channel so many times (to get rid of his little extra stuff he threw in) they couldn't use the mono originals and remixed the mono from the four tracks.

11. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Ah hah! Well, all that aside, to my ears it still is one fine sounding monaural recording, Steve.

12. Steve Hoffman

Yes, less "de-esser" than the old stereo mix.

13. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Glad you like it, Paul. Great price. It's not as "hi-fi" as a whole, but it has a nice, warm, textured sound and the mix gives the album a bit different feel from the stereo mixes.

CBackley likes this.
  14. SinatraFan

SinatraFan Well-Known Member

After reading the above posts in this thread, I was able to find a good copy of the mono LP. And I agree it sounds great with lots of warmth and the vocal tone is wonderful! Really is a different take on the album.

15. Steve Hoffman

A very sensitive mono mix, one of the last. Nicely done.

CBackley likes this.
  16. SinatraFan

SinatraFan Well-Known Member

Yeah, it might be my new favorite. I like how everything is clear and focused on this mix.

CBackley likes this.
  17. Steve Hoffman

That's what a good mono mix does. It doesn't draw attention to itself, just the performance. An art in creating that for all concerned.

CBackley and McLover like this.
  18. shicorp

shicorp Senior Member

19. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

I wasn't aware of this CD. I think it has flown under my radar because (1) it's billed as a Claus Ogerman album, (2) not all the tracks include Frank Sinatra, and (3) it's published on a non-Reprise label in Argentina. I'm curious, but not enough to buy it. ;)

shicorp likes this.
  20. shicorp

shicorp Senior Member

paulmock and Bob F like this.
  21. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

'nuf said. :)

paulmock, shicorp and MLutthans like this.
  22. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff Thread Starter

http://991.com/Buy/ProductInformati...pp&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=sales-manual

Not something that turns up every day.
    Frank-Sinatra-Sinatra-Jobim---a-580548.jpg
    Screen shot 2014-01-15 at 4.24.50 AM.jpg
    Tracklisting & More Information
    Acquired from a life-long Frank Sinatra collector, this very rare item has been stored away for most of its life but is now, some forty odd years later, seeing the light of day.

Following the success of the widely acclaimed Francis Albert Sinatra & Antonio Carlos Jobim collaboration in 1967, Sinatra & Jobim returned to Western Recorders in February, 1969 for three nights to lay down ten more bossa nova styled songs for a second album tentatively titled SinatraJobim.
    Here are those ten legendary songs in their full, original, analogue glory, prior to Larry Walsh's mixes for the digital era some 40 years later.

(Song of the) Sabia
    Bonita
    Drinking Water
    One Note Samba
    Don't Ever Go Away
    Someone To Light Up My Life
    Triste
    Wave
    This Happy Madness
    Desafinado (Off Key)

Looking to recreate the magic of the first session, some of Sinatra's less mainstream efforts made after the success of that first Sinatra-Jobim release simply didn't perform well, and anxieties drove the creation of this second hybrid. Jobim's charts were slightly more complex this time around & new arranger Eumir Deodato lent a different touch. On top of this, Sinatra's album sales had slumped & his commercial dynasty was slipping, eventually leading to his retirement in 1971. In short, the ten songs that made up this ill-fated second Sinatra-Jobim effort never actually saw release. The recordings were shelved. The project aborted.

To give more context, the Sinatra-Jobim album was of course finalised right down to the mixing & mastering & even the cover art was chosen. The scheduled photo for the album was a shot of Frank leaning on the back of a Greyhound bus, taken from the same mid-February '69 photo session which produced the artwork for the albums My Way and A Man Alone. The LP reached the acetate stage & a limited number of 8-track tape editions were quickly fixed up & released to market. This recording was never commercially released in any other format.
    For what ever reason, a recall was issued by Warner in the form of a memo ordering the destruction of all 3,500 of the 8-track cassettes that had been manufactured for release. Warner sent this memo to all retailers and distributors of the unsold copies, and even the sold ones! There are fewer than FIVE copies of the 8-track release known to still exist, and an auction way back in 2006 achieved a record sum of $4550 for one surviving copy.

Acetates or test pressings for the proposed LP are reportedly so scarce that the owner of one such rarity told Goldmine Magazine in a 1991 article that he wouldn't part with his for less than $5,000 even then. As far as we are aware, no examples of the acetate have ever surfaced at online auction.
    Seven tracks from this aborted session eventually made their way onto side one of the Sinatra & Company album in 1971. Three of the Jobim songs which Frank was reportedly unhappy with, "Off Key“, "Song Of The Sabia“, and "Bonita“, remained unreleased. Fans had to wait until 1995 & 'The Complete Reprise Studio Recordings' for all ten songs from the second Sinatra-Jobim session to finally be made available one way or another, & even then these have since slipped out of print.

Condition: -

The disc is clean with no marks visible to the labels & only the very lightest few surface scuffs are evident to show for its age. Played maybe once or twice only to test the sound quality, in terms of condition this is one of the best examples we've ever seen of an acetate, so fragile & prone they are to wear. For such a unique item too, this is really the best that money can buy for a Sinatra collectable.

What you have on offer here is a once in a lifetime opportunity to acquire the only analogue version of the full ten songs from the ill-fated 1969 Sinatra-Jobim session, songs which Sinatra fans have since deemed masterful & just as stunning as their first collaboration. They follow the exact track sequence they were originally intended for in an album that never was, but hindsight says really, really, should have been.

An amazing & historic artifact for just one lucky Sinatra collector!

CBackley, McLover and bferr1 like this.
  23. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Hmmm...

This was brought to my attention last week due to a similar offering on eBay in the UK. But there may be reason to suspect the authenticity of this "possibly unique one-of-a-kind item..."

The track order on the pictured acetate labels matches that of the rare withdrawn 8-track cassette, which has been heavily publicized and photographed in the past (e.g. at the SFF: Sinatra-Jobim Album Question).

[​IMG] [​IMG]

HOWEVER, in a decade-old SFF post (see: The "Lost" album), someone described photos of labels of an LP test pressing for Reprise FS 1028 with a different track order:
    1. Sabiá
    2. Drinking Water
    3. Someone To Light Up My Life
    4. Triste
    5. This Happy Madness
    6. One Note Samba
    7. Don't Ever Go Away
    8. Wave
    9. Off Key (Desafinado)
    10. Bonita
    Caveat emptor!

[Added:] I find the following extract from the above auction hype especially suspicious, due to credible reports to the contrary:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
  24. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

25. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Just re-reading portions of this thread, I realize one need not go back to that decade-old post. That is the SAME order used for the tracks on the 2010 Concord complete recordings CD. It is most definitely the original intended order for the 1969 unreleased LP. Timing constraints probably dictated the different running order of the 8-track. For this reason, I'm inclined to believe the acetate up for sale is an elaborate fake.

CBackley and MLutthans like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.