Sinatra on Columbia (Official/Authorized Releases)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ShockControl, Dec 11, 2011.

1. roda12

roda12 WATERTOWN FOREVER

Of course not Reynolds:D but somehow they always refer to her when it comes to describing the cover.

Bob F likes this.
  2. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

Nor Stan Laurel. It is Frank though. ;)

3. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

I got my copy of The Voice of Frank Sinatra today. It looks great!

My copy is #50.

paulmock and aza14782 like this.
  4. teag

teag Forum Resident

Nice. How does the sound compare to the better Columbia CD sets? Would be interesting to know what you think on this.

CBackley likes this.
  5. CBackley

I hope to find out soon!

6. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Remember that the 2003 CD mix was used for this 10" LP. To me they sound quite equal.

CBackley likes this.
  7. teag

teag Forum Resident

I do recall that.

I'm wondering how this LP sounds compared to the Voice in Time and Best of Columbia Years CD sets.

MarkusGermany likes this.
  8. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I actually wish that was not the case. I would prefer even a transfer from a clean original pressing, just for this edition. Make it a purist reproduction, as close to the sound of the first LP as possible, but with better materials (vinyl)

roda12 and teag like this.
  9. roda12

roda12 WATERTOWN FOREVER

Yeah, though I like this release very much, I don't think I will play it very often. Somehow the magic and the warm rich sound of the original pressing isn't there.

teag likes this.
  10. teag

teag Forum Resident

Good to know that.

11. colormesinatra

colormesinatra Forum Resident

Finally got mine today. Such a wonderful release that sounds great too. Mine is #118. The booklet is great too.

12. kennyluc1

kennyluc1 Frank Sinatra collector

My copy arrived today... number 878. Beautifully done.

13. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Goes to show that the limited edition numbers have no relation to date of order/shipment. Mine came last month with #471.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
    CBackley likes this.
  14. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

If the number matches the security code on your credit card, I suggest returning it. You don't need that trouble.

Beaneydave and Bob F like this.
  15. CBackley

Yeah. I got #050. I ordered it well after any of you fine folks.

Bob F likes this.
  16. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

17. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Just shows they could easily and very quickly sell 1,000 copies (and very many more) of a Complete Columbia Sinatra CD box set. Many specialty boxsets these days start off with an initial pressing of about 1,000 copies, even when they plan 5,000 copies.

I don't think the Complete Columbia Sinatra box should be a limited edition. But if they can do a very large Johnny Mathis box, they can do a Sinatra box

MarkusGermany and colormesinatra like this.
  18. bozburn

bozburn Forum Resident

19. Crazyhorse11

Crazyhorse11 Hoser

Just ordered mine today. Can't wait for it!

20. steveinphilly

steveinphilly Forum Resident

I came across this thread yesterday and then dug my original out to listen to it last night. I notice that I bought it at Recycled Records in San Francisco for $30--that would have been somewhere between 1998 and 2005. So I saved $3 by getting the original!

By the way, my is not the "vinylite" version with the flap that closes. Does that mean it is a later printing?

21. roda12

roda12 WATERTOWN FOREVER

They say the vinylite was the first one, but I really don't know, because both were released in 1948!
    The first re-release came in 1950 and had the green cover.

steveinphilly likes this.
  22. steveinphilly

steveinphilly Forum Resident

Thanks--mine is pink so at least it from the initial release year, I suppose. (The folding of the paper cover, BTW, reminds me of the Parlophone Beatles releases--I'm not sure I have other albums in my collection folded like that.)

roda12 likes this.
  23. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Not exactly. From an earlier post above:
    See the images in post #340 and post #864.

roda12 likes this.
  24. .crystalised.

.crystalised. Forum Resident

I bought a copy of the big blue box at eBay this week. All 12 discs are still sealed and this appears to be the wooden box version. Only the J card photo is missing. Looking forward to getting more familiar with Frank's Columbia years as I only have a few of the LPs.

I'm hoping there is no overdubbed instrumentation or fake stereo reverb on this box set. Assuming not if original lacquers and metal parts were used.

Reading about this set, I appreciate the producer's use of alternates (when necessary) instead of 78 transfers to maintain commercial quality. Alternates only bother me when they are used unknowingly, or without good reason.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2018
    MarkusGermany and Simon A like this.
  25. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Before this set came out, you had to be a very serious collector of 78s to fully appreciate Sinatra on Columbia. Big Blue was a godsend, and made it all so easy to hear (but now it still lingers without an honorable reissue in print)