Sinatra on Columbia (Official/Authorized Releases)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ShockControl, Dec 11, 2011.

1. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Especially when they were made of vinyl. There were "shellac" promos too.

2. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

In addition to the current authorized CD-R product (—> Amazon link), Sony has included Swing and Dance in two different 3-CD sets titled "The Collection" (—> 2004 and —> 2009). I can vouch that the earlier 2004 tall box set contains the complete original liner notes booklet (not in a jewel case).

[​IMG] [​IMG]

DmitriKaramazov and Simon A like this.
  3. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

And, per Chuck Granata (at —> the SFF), the later 2009 collection also contains the original liner notes. This set may be a bargain buy for someone who does not own any of the three enclosed CDs:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

(The earlier tall box set substitutes Sinatra Sings His Greatest Hits for The Voice of Frank Sinatra.)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 9, 2016
    DmitriKaramazov and Simon A like this.
  4. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

I guarantee you that it will not have any liner notes. I will, however, have horrible packaging. I've unknowingly purchased a Bing Crosby title in that fashion and have regretted it.

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  5. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Sometimes when you buy a "new" copy of a CD from Amazon that may have been out for a few years, it comes as a low-grade CDR with poorly reproduced cover and back only, though Amazon made no mention. In those cases, it goes right back for a refund. If you see any notice on Amazon's listing of a CDR, look for a used copy (usually a real CD) on Marketplace

Smartin62 and Kkfan like this.
  6. kennyluc1

kennyluc1 Frank Sinatra collector

If anyone is interested I have an extra copy of the 1996 release of
    "Sing And Dance "

7. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

Whenever that happens, I go straight to Discogs and ask the seller whether it's a genuine CD or CD-R.

Kkfan and DmitriKaramazov like this.
  8. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

FYI -- The CD I bought (eBay) of Swing and Dance With Frank Sinatra has the SONY MUSIC logo (a red paint splash) on the back cover and shows Copyright 1996 and 1998. It was not advertised as a CD-R, but who knows. No logo on the spine though which sometimes means it's a CD-R.

It's sounds great to my low tech ears, the alternate performances are stunning, just stunning! Even if they are not quite as "perfect" as the final versions, I simply find them amazing!

Nevertheless I need to have good liner notes for myself, so I'm going to follow @Bob F 's tip on the "Collection" set, selling fairly cheap at AMZ.

BTW -- I did buy a couple of the Hal Kemp CDR's from Amazon -- again these sound great, but NO liner notes at all. I generally stay away from CDR's. yechh.

THANKS again to all for the info and tips!

-- David

Last edited: Mar 9, 2016
    Simon A and Bob F like this.
  9. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

CDRs will initially sound just as fine as whatever was burned on the disc (usually). But, they may not sound very good several years later when the organic compounds in the dyes start to decompose and digital chatter or playback problems take over. That's why most used record shops or collectors will not buy them. Zero resale value.

Simon A and DmitriKaramazov like this.
  10. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

Mine are all vinyl, I'm deciding to collect them since I have a nice collection of them.
    I have a few promo 33 singles but those sound awful, the 33 singles were pressed on noisy vinyl and cut at a low level.
    Even when you clean them on a RCM, the noise is still there. And you have to crank the volume to hear anything.
    No wonder you find them in mint condition, the DJ's couldn't use them since they were crude and noisy, the 78's sound much much better.

Simon A likes this.
  11. DmitriKaramazov

In case anyone is interested there's an Amazon seller (Monkey Gamez media and fulfilled by Amazon) who is selling The Collection (2004) (the one on the left) for $10.55!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ue&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=A150O1OAVIJJ7T

Bob F and Simon A like this.
  12. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I think the main source of the problem with most early 7 inch 33rpm singles is the playback (back at the original issue time) with stylus/cartridges (plus a heavier tonearm) that were NOT designed for microgroove pressings. It wasn't so much to do with the vinyl materials, but microgrooves were much smaller and the wider/heavier stylus damaged records even on a single playback. 7" Singles were more likely to be played back on wrong equipment than 12"LPs (the newer "HiFi's" were typically better) The earlier 10"LPs were also often (not always) played back on wrong equipment, which is why quiet older 10"LPs are not easy to get.

13. Smartin62

Smartin62 Forum Resident

So, is there any new news on the updated big blue box? A release date, a description? Anything to get this thread back on track?

CBackley, DmitriKaramazov and Simon A like this.
  14. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I just realized that it will not be long before every Sinatra fan who saw him at the Paramount in 1943 will be gone. My Mother, who I am a full time nurse for in my home, was there but she can no longer listen to music. Among her CD collection were not only a pile of Frank's official CDs, but that great series of radio and transcription CDs issued by Bernie Brightman.

15. frankfan1

frankfan1 Some days I feel like Balok

With the loss of Frank Jr. today we are losing so many associated in any way with the making of his music.

Bob F likes this.
  16. DmitriKaramazov

Thanks again to @Bob F for cluing me in about these collections. (However my wallet does not thank you. :D)

I have to chime in to say that this one Columbia disc – The Voice of Frank Sinatra – is simply stunning stunning stunning stunning stunning!

Did I say amazing?

This has been my first experience of the beautiful “I Don’t Know Why (I Just Do)” which is just about the most incredible and wonderful song recording that can be. What a beautiful way to start a song, with just Frank’s voice and a guitar (by George Van Eps). Sinatra and Van Eps together are incredible! Too marvelous for words!

“It Never Entered My Mind” and “The Nearness of You” had already become favorites of mine. (Has anyone heard Norah Jones’ version of “The Nearness of You”? Nice!)

Also how nice it is to have two versions of “(I Don’t Stand) a Ghost of a Chance with You” on this disc.

Some of the songs on this set – “When You Awake”, “I Don’t Know Why (I Just Do)”, “Spring Is Here” – didn’t make an appearance on the Voice in Time or the 4 CD Best of Columbia Box sets, so it’s nice to see them somewhere. (I missed the big blue box.)

LOVE THE LINER NOTES ON THIS SET

I’ll make a statement:

If Sinatra had retired after his Columbia years he’s still be the greatest singer the world had seen!

These Columbia recordings slay me every time. It's my mantra!

17. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

I have said it before, I stayed away from the Columbia years for a long time. Mostly due to poor sound. The 4 CD LP/CD box sets in the late 80's had me a tad more interested. But when the "Big Blue Box" came out with it's glorious sound thanks to Chuck, Deider & Co. I was HOOKED! I fell in love with a whole new Mr. S. it was a long time before I listened to anything but what is on those 20 discs.

18. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I could never understand people who reject Columbia era Sinatra. That is what made him famous.

DmitriKaramazov and Bob F like this.
  19. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur! Thread Starter

Well, I don't "reject" Columbia-era Sinatra, but he is a precursor to the Frank that I listen to. I have the four-CD Columbia box set and several of the Columbia LPs, and while I spin them on occasion, I've just never really warmed up to this stuff.

20. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Maybe you need a gentle, romantic side, which may be why many women like the young Frank Sinatra music best of all.

21. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur! Thread Starter

Well, my wife doesn't go for the Columbia stuff either, for what that's worth.

22. kennyluc1

the BBB is 12 cd's.

23. kennyluc1

24. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

OOPS! Sorrrrrieeeeeee.:doh:

25. DmitriKaramazov

Maybe it will be 20 CDs when it's reissued! :edthumbs: :tiphat:

Okay seriously, I do hope there is an additional 2 or more CD set for all the lovely alternates! :D