Sinatra on Columbia (Official/Authorized Releases)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ShockControl, Dec 11, 2011.

1. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

No changes for the most part that I'm aware of, Rob. The discs content should match the '93 set, except for replacement of any songs represented there by alternate takes. The packaging will change to mini-LP type sleeves.

2. ehtoo

ehtoo Forum Resident

I'm the opposite. I like the Columbia and Capitol years over Reprise. What you need to hear is not the pleasant voice or nice arrangements, rather Sinatra's phrasing. He sang like no other and it was all laid down during the Columbia years.

Tribute likes this.
  3. colormesinatra

colormesinatra Forum Resident

Ok, Thanks Martin!

MMM likes this.
  4. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur! Thread Starter

Thanks. I get that, but it's not compelling enough to keep me coming back. Not knocking the earlier period, but for me, he's just not Frank until Capitol.

That said, I do very much like his Columbia (secular) Christmas tracks, and play them every holiday season.

5. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

This is exciting news. I will definitely buy the upgraded 12-cd set because, because, because the Columbia recordings are not something I can live without. After more than twenty years perhaps the time has come to remaster all the tracks anew. But I will settle for what I can get. I would hope that instead of picking the most interesting tracks from the 1947-49 sessions that, sooner rather than eventually, Columbia will simply release the sessions in their entirety complete with inbetween studio ambiance and chatter including the slates.

6. colormesinatra

Yesterday I Listened to the CD that Granata and Deutsch put together of Frank's Columbia Christmas music from 1994.

What a terrific compilation and damn good sound too!

After listening to that music straight from the CD, I may have to re-listen to the BBB again because I usually listen to Frank's Columbia material from my iPod. Something obviously happens to the music (and all music) once it is put onto a computer and then loaded onto an iPod.

7. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Then you'll be blown away by the 2004 reissue (with the gold frame on the cover) and/or last year's new Columbia/Legacy CD, The Classic Christmas Album.

See this thread: —> Frank Sinatra - The Classic Christmas Album (New Legacy Compilation)

DmitriKaramazov and paulmock like this.
  8. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Are there any other reissues of previous Columbia CDs that feature new improved sound? It is easy to lose track of the market if you think you have all the published recordings. I appreciate that tip on the Christmas CD and picked it up. This stuff does make me wish SONY would invest in a remaster of the complete Columbia recordings. Such a shame that it may never happen.

9. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

None that come to my mind.

10. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I bet there were some big arguments in the SONY meeting rooms about whether to remaster the complete Sinatra catalog for his 100th. There was probably someone with a law degree and an MBA who thought he knew everything and over ruled those in favor of a remaster

11. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

All about the $$$$$$ my friend. All about the $$$$.....

12. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

We see a great number of remastered large collections issued by artists that have much smaller commercial appeal than Sinatra, regardless of the time period. It is a wrong-headed sense of money

MarkusGermany likes this.
  13. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

14. Kkfan

Kkfan Forum Resident

15. frankfan1

frankfan1 Some days I feel like Balok

I wish the album would, too!

MichaelM likes this.
  16. Kkfan

Kkfan Forum Resident

What could have happened to that thread?

Does this mean he has influence over the powers-that-be on this forum?

17. frankfan1

frankfan1 Some days I feel like Balok

Has there been any word on how well the Voice on Air box has sold?

Kkfan likes this.
  18. colormesinatra

Im curious too and now it makes sense that this was the only set that was released for the Centennial. Ive been theorizing and I think FSE did this because a set that consisted on more popular material like the Capitol and Reprise material...it would easily overshadow AVOA.

FSE needed the sales of this set to be as strong as possible in order for Sony to even consider more releases. The business is always changing.

My two cents

-Rob

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  19. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

What I like most about the Columbia years is the versions of the many love songs he rerecorded with Capitol.
    Although I tend to lean towards the Capitol versions due to his more mature vocals and better arrangements, I love the simple approach with Columbia.

20. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

I notice that the (first) photo in the quoted post has gone missing. Here is an updated image link:

[​IMG]

Kkfan likes this.
  21. Kkfan

Kkfan Forum Resident

Wow!
    Always wondered, but never knew! Thanks for the heads-up on that. :)

22. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

It always surprised me that, when Columbia issued this 8 song album on a single 10 inch LP, they used the worst quality generic design possible (no photo at all, and a paper sleeve). They should have used the 78RPM album cover as they did for others. It would have made it a classic 33RPM album cover. After all it was the first "popular" (i.e. non-classical) long-playing record issued by Columbia, the company that introduced the LP.

23. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

The oft-quoted statement about it being the FIRST pop LP is a bit misleading: Yes, it had the LOWEST catalog number, but it was one of a whole group of "first" records issued simultaneously—all with the same generic (non-photo) paper sleeve design:

[​IMG]

See also: —> Columbia 10" Album Discography, Part 1 (CL 6001 to CL 6099) 1948-1950

Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
  24. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

It must have been some fun back in the very first days of 10 inch LPs, when Decca went crazy and issued a huge number of Bing Crosby 10 inch LPs in a short period (mostly reissues of previous 78 albums). Collectors must have been going to the bank to get enough cash. (No credit cards!) They were expensive relative to so many other things. And then most buyers went and played them with worn out oversized 78 styluses and severely damaged the microgrooves. So, most 10 inch LPs look great, but suffer groove damage.

The cover for one of Franks last 10 inch LPs (Get Happy) was controversial. Some love it, some hate it. But a pristine copy of the cover does look great

25. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

None are needledrops from 78s.

DmitriKaramazov, Kkfan and MLutthans like this.