Sinatra / Reprise Sound Quality: "Sinatra and Strings" (rec. 1961) - incl. NAB/AME EQ, etc.*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by aoxomoxoa, Mar 15, 2012.

Tags:
  1. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

My go to remains the Japanese pressing with extra tracks.

MLutthans likes this.
  2. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

The 1B/1A stereo LP is a very nice record.

aoxomoxoa and MLutthans like this.
  3. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

A few of these sides were not sampled on my website, so I have now added them, but they have not provided any substantial changes to the material presented, as they are all pretty "middle of the road" additions. The A-1 (pressed at M-G-M) mono clip may be of some interest, as it represents the very first lacquer cut for this release in mono. Here's a clip, from a copy that is in less-than-perfect shape, and here's a better sounding, later 1C (Columbia) pressing. For comparison, here's the 1B (Columbia pressing) stereo LP that @MMM favors. (I like it too, along with my similar sounding, bought-it-sealed 1D [Columbia] stereo pressing, sampled here.) Remember: 1G was the final cut on side one to use the original stereo mix. After that, it's always the late-60s remix. Here's a clip of that remix from the MFSL LP. (Thanks for the clip, @Blackie!)

Last edited: Mar 30, 2018
    MMM and Simon A like this.
  4. MLutthans

On side two, 1E* was the last time the original stereo mix was used, after which the stereo remix was used.

1A stereo, original stereo mix from side two: http://www.11fifty.com/Site_108/1962_-_Sinatra_&_Strings_files/ItMightClipFS1004 1A-GAIN_01.mp3

MFSL stereo, late-60s remix: http://www.11fifty.com/Site_108/1962_-_Sinatra_&_Strings_files/ItMightClipMFSL-GAIN_01.mp3 (Thanks again, @Blackie.)

1C mono: http://www.11fifty.com/Site_108/1962_-_Sinatra_&_Strings_files/ItMightClipMono1c-GAIN_01.mp3.

*The matrix info on the stereo versions is a little confusing. Early pressings were notated with letter first, then hypen, then number, i.e,. A-3, B-6. Once Columbia took over pressing duties for Warner Brothers product, Columbia's notation became the norm, with number first and letter second, no hyphen, i.e, 1A, 1C, 1G. When Capitol took over pressing duties (late 70s????) for Warners, the scribes moved to things like JW-1, WW-1, LW-2, apparently with J= Jacksonville plant; W=Winchester plant; L=Los Angeles plant. I think that the W in the second letter's position meant that the lacquers were cut at Warners. (Please jump in if that's incorrect.)

Last edited: Mar 30, 2018
    Simon A likes this.
  5. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

Very interesting. I was coming on here to comment on how I thought the selections from this album on the 4-CD Reprise Collection sounded better than I’ve ever heard them before (I just listened to them about 20 minutes ago). I had planned on asking whether the Reprise Collection was a unique mastering and/or mix. It appears I’m in for a real treat once I have time to listen to the Complete Reprise Studio Recordings box I just bought.

Sinatra & Strings hasn’t hit me nearly as quickly as most of the other early Reprise albums. I don’t know why. I picked up two original pressings from a great record store outside Charlottesville, VA, last summer—one stereo and one mono. Unfortunately, they both have a little too much surface noise for my tastes.

6. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

rangerjohn and CBackley like this.
  7. MLutthans

You can drive yourself crazy trying to find a really good-sounding copy of this one. I'm very happy that I was able to snag a still-sealed original-mix stereo LP a few years back, and that's my go-to. (I agree that there are [pretty subtle] improvements to be had by working your way back from my Columbia-cut 1E/1E to a Columbia-cut 1A/1A stereo LP, but the 1E that I have is probably 97% of the way there, and since it was new, the background noise is minimal, which means a lot on this album.)

Last edited: May 22, 2018
    MMM, CBackley and rangerjohn like this.
  8. MLutthans

Just re-read my own blathery comments for the first time in a few years, and it looks like I thought (still think???) that the mono mix outdoes the original stereo mix on a couple of tunes, "Come Rain or Come Shine" and "It Might As Well Be Spring." (I do recall really liking my 45 of "Come Rain or Come Shine.") Such a messy album release, sound-wise. Four complete-album stereo mixes done, and it's still a mess.

roda12 and CBackley like this.
  9. CBackley

I’m going to read through this whole thread, but for spoilers’ sake: what’s your preferred digital version of this album (if any)?

10. MLutthans

Easy: The first CD release, by a large margin. It's very consistently "not bad."
    From my website, strictly my own take on things:
    Screen shot 2018-05-22 at 11.42.42 AM.png

MMM and CBackley like this.
  11. CBackley

Thanks!

MLutthans likes this.
  12. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Sure....sure!!!!

CBackley likes this.
  13. CBackley

I am! I’m on page two now. This is great stuff!

paulmock likes this.
  14. McLover

McLover Senior Member

NAB= National Association of Broadcasters, before that NARTB (National Association of Radio and Television Broadcasters). This organization set the standards we know today for record and reproduce equalization on tape machines in the very early 1950's when 15 IPS came into use onwards. Standardization of recording and reproduction curves was very important so tapes could be interchanged and have a standard set of curves which enabled tapes to playback anywhere. NAB also set the standard record/reproduce curve for broadcast transcriptions and also was adopted by Columbia in 1949 when the LP disc record was launched. Some history for you.

MLutthans likes this.
  15. CBackley

I looked at the deadwax info on the two copies I picked up last summer on vacation. The mono is A1, B1. The stereo copy is interesting. The sleeve is for an R9, but the record itself is an FS. It also has the “W7” logo, and I forgot what that means. One side of the deadwax looks like the usual writing, and is marked as 1F. However, the other side was machine-stamped, and says it’s 1D.

MLutthans likes this.
  16. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

That's the 1st released stereo mix, but you may prefer an earlier cut of it.

MLutthans, rangerjohn and CBackley like this.
  17. MLutthans

Many titles kept the R9 artwork after switching to FS in terms of actual manufacturing (as seen on the LP labels).

CBackley likes this.
  18. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

Sinatra and Strings will come up behind you when you least expect it and just clobber you over the head. It did the same thing to me. Took me a while to figure it out. Then one day, bam!

So many great performances, That’s All, It Might as Well Be Spring, the re-done All or Nothing at All. It was That’s All that killed me.

And finally, Stardust. Which I have to say, is simply a performance for the ages, and he didn’t even do the main part of the song. I listen to that performance and I just think, my god, how could anyone do what Sinatra does? Listening to this performance is like some universe opening up.

I can’t believe I initially disregarded this album. It’s one of the greatest ever, by anybody!!

rangerjohn, CBackley and roda12 like this.
  19. MLutthans

My take on the Stardust thing is that I like it ok, but it's kind of a gimmick, a bit of a cutesy move, "too clever by half" (ironically). I think that had they used that as the intro -- an absolutely fantastic intro -- to the song as a whole, it may have moved into "Lonely Town" territory, i.e., a "reach out and grab you" intro, followed by a fantastic rendition of the remainder of the song. I could easily see that running 5 minutes and being absolutely jaw-droppingly good, a real "statement" of a take on a classic song, rather than a very interesting historical asterisk in the sea of "Stardust" renditions through the years.

(Again: I like it as it is, this is not a "hate" on the version as it exists. I just think that it could have been so much more!)

McLover, roda12 and CBackley like this.
  20. CBackley

FS’s version of “Stardust” on this album is wonderful, but it usually just makes me want to listen to Nat “King” Cole’s stellar take on it.

bozburn, DmitriKaramazov and teag like this.
  21. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Frank's version here is very nice, but it would be hard to beat, or even match, Nat's version.

22. roda12

roda12 WATERTOWN FOREVER

When I was six years old my first favorite Sinatra song was "Stardust" the Dorsey version. A few years later, still a kid, I got the Reprise version and was very anxious and excited to go and listen to it. I remember I was so disappointed when the recording ended after the verse was over! I even checked the record because I thought something was wrong with it. Okay,I was only a kid back then and now as a (almost:D,at least in years) grownup I can appreciate Sinatra's verse only rendition. But still after all these years in the backroads of my mind a voice gently says "Too bad he didn't record the whole song".

rangerjohn and CBackley like this.
  23. teag

teag Forum Resident

Yes! On Hoffman/Grey 45 rpm if possible. Gordon Jenkins did a fantastic job on that.

CBackley likes this.
  24. teag

teag Forum Resident

Maybe eventually when someone else has the decision to make.

25. BluRayVen

BluRayVen Well-Known Member

MLutthans can I get both labels scans of this issue from you? I have P-7715 but it's still factory sealed and I need the scans to add to Discogs. Thanks