Sinatra / Reprise Sound Quality: "Sinatra and Strings" (rec. 1961) - incl. NAB/AME EQ, etc.*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by aoxomoxoa, Mar 15, 2012.

Tags:
  1. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

I would provide those, happily, but will no be home until about September 3. Rattle my cage in a few weeks.
    :)

aoxomoxoa likes this.
  2. BluRayVen

BluRayVen Well-Known Member

This is your friendly cage rattle reminder

3. MLutthans

I am still on the road (in Kansas). I get home Wednesday.....hopefully!

4. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

Aw, crap! I read through this whole thread and then got to this post from earlier this year in which I previously said I was going to read the whole thread. I need to just get a mid-60’s FS-prefix pressing and get out of this Sinatra & Strings timeloop.

5. roda12

roda12 WATERTOWN FOREVER

Get an early Reprise Mono version. "Come rain or come shine" is it worth alone

McLover and CBackley like this.
  6. CBackley

I got one and really enjoy it!

roda12 likes this.
  7. CBackley

This is one of those albums that didn’t stand out to me at first, but gets better and better each time I listen to it. I can see it landing in my Sinatra Top Ten soon.

I’m debating picking up a copy of the MFSL vinyl. Not sure if I will though, given the opinions expressed above.

roda12 likes this.
  8. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Yes, the mono LP is worth it for "Come Rain or Come Shine" alone. Awesome performance and the mono mix is superior.

roda12 likes this.
  9. roda12

roda12 WATERTOWN FOREVER

Hi Folks, just bought an early stereo pressing of Sinatra and strings which has the scowling Frank on label and no. R9-1004 30,080-A1.
    Can someone tell me if this is an original pressing and is it the 1st stereo mix?
    Thanks in advance!

paulmock likes this.
  10. MLutthans

@roda12

Should be "yes" to both.

roda12 and paulmock like this.
  11. roda12

roda12 WATERTOWN FOREVER

Thank you very much Matt!

MLutthans likes this.
  12. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

@roda12 Enjoy! I have the same. Let us know what you think of yours.

roda12 likes this.
  13. MLutthans

(Please forgive me if this is a repost.)

I was scrounging through some old picture files on a hard drive, and found this from my old camera phone, circa 2017:
    DSC_0064b.jpg
    I assume this means that I stumbled upon this in a record store, but did not purchase it. Not sure! Maybe I bought it and forgot about it (and I don't have my record collection with me, currently).

McLover, Bob Belvedere, MMM and 2 others like this.
  14. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Oh my!!!! That is INDEED a rarity. You MUST have purchased it....otherwise you are off the team!!!!!

MLutthans likes this.
  15. Artur Torres

Artur Torres New Improved Full Dimensional Stereo

Don Costa's arrangements are beautiful, but they are too explosive. A little more dynamics and subtlety would do well.

Besides, I don't like the sound of United on these Sinatra records. If Capitol, in its early years of stereo sound, suffered from insufficient open microphone, editing and acoustics, United is even worse because it is less sensitive in sound treatment. It is a harsh, inelegant, unbalanced sound.

The only old record I can hear recorded on United - part of it, of course - is Ray Charles' Modern Sounds in Country and Western Music, which was engineered by Bill Putnam.

Last edited: May 28, 2021
  16. MLutthans

That's why I made this comment about the mono mix: "There’s something about the mono mix that greatly plays down the sweeping Cinemascopic grandeur of the arrangements, and makes the whole thing a little more low-key and intimate, and I’m quite fond of that."

17. MLutthans

As has been discussed, there are two different stereo mixes of this album that appear on LPs, the original mix being phased out at some point in the mid to late '60s, never to return again (which is too bad).

Which LP cuts use the original mix? All of the pre-WB pressings, plus:
    ....and on my website there is audio of my 1E cut, which looks like this:
    [​IMG]
    , so I was mildly surprised to be at Freedom Rock Records ("turn it up, man...")

in Lincoln, Nebraska, today and stumble upon a 1E/1E pressing that looked like this:
    IMG_20210606_150439~2.jpg
    .... meaning that the 1E/1E cut must have been in use right around the time that the label style transitioned. It's a great sounding cut, and if you are near Lincoln and have 16 bucks handy, there is a very clean copy sitting there waiting for someone other than me. :)

Last edited: Jun 7, 2021
    teag, ledsox, Artur Torres and 2 others like this.
  18. MLutthans

@W.B. -- Is that a Columbia pressing with Capitol-style label (immediately above this post)?

19. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

That'd be a post-1970 pressing for sure (I presume CBS Santa Maria, given the 'S' etched in the deadwax) . . . notice the rim print was right after Kinney dropped the "Seven Arts" from Warner Bros.' name. In addition, the tan part of the label looked more like raw sienna than raw umber which was a shade darker and more brownish in comparison, so it could also have been pre-1971. Lacquer looks like a Columbia Hollywood cut, though as you noted the dash number was 1E which tells you who cut it and where. Sifting through Discogs, I see this variant you just presented is nowhere to be seen or heard.

I presume the 1E's were in use all through this label variant (the first tan/orange design):
    [​IMG]
    Sinatra Reprise labels on Columbia pressings at the time Warner/Reprise switched their main pressing supplier to Capitol would have looked like this (sorry for the "other" record seen here, as with the prior example):
    [​IMG]

The "Capitol style" part may have more to do with the Portland orange label color, which was used on Capitol's 1972-78 labels.

20. MLutthans

@W.B. -- thank you!

Here again is the pick of the 1E/1E pressing I saw yesterday:
    [​IMG]

Here (below) are picks of the 1D/1F LP owned by @MMM:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    ....and @Arkoffs has a W7-era LP with 1G on side one.

21. W.B.

That's the other thing . . . @MMM's copy is a Pitman with a hybrid of Pitman (on the top) and earlier Bridgeport (at bottom) label typesetting. So 1D and 1F went to Pitman, 1E to Santa Maria . . . wherefore art 1G to?

Arkoffs and Simon A like this.
  22. teag

teag Forum Resident

I have an angry Frank mono with A7 and B7 etched. Haven’t heard it in a while so will give it a spin and see how it sounds.

The label is the same colors as Matt’s 1E shown above.

23. Arkoffs

Arkoffs Remote member

I will look and see if I still have the 1G W7. I have sent around a couple batches of FS dupes to friends since that 1G was reported, so ... it very likely may be unavailable.

EDIT: It's here, but I may have given you bad info, @MLutthans ... it's post-W7.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

@W.B.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2021
    MLutthans likes this.
  24. W.B.

Hmmm. Sounds like Pitman got 1G too, huh? The hybrid Bridgeport/Pitman type is in evidence here, too . . .

But this is the label I call "smiling Frank II" ('I' was 1965-67).

McLover and MLutthans like this.
  25. Artur Torres

Artur Torres New Improved Full Dimensional Stereo

Unfortunately, I don't know the sound of the Mobile Fidelity remastered edition. Now, one thing is certain: This album needs a deeply audiophile editing. The masters need to be properly transcribed and the volume needs to be well balanced, as the sound of this album is too heavy and loud.