Sinatra / Reprise Sound Quality: "Sinatra and Strings" (rec. 1961) - incl. NAB/AME EQ, etc.*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by aoxomoxoa, Mar 15, 2012.

Tags:
  1. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

If you want to hear the original mix (which is my preference overall), get a stereo copy mastered/pressed at Columbia made in the mid-late 60's. I have not confirmed the 1G cut, but each side of the 1H cut - confirmed via a friend's early 70's copy - comes from the remix (heard on the 80's JPN expanded LP and the MoFi). Any others I've heard from 1A - 1F (though I have not heard every cut for each side) have the original mix. I have never confirmed the 1Gs, and would like to know. It's possible that some 70's copies have metal sourced from the cuts made from the original mix, but it might be harder to find. The early-era "R9" copy I had didn't sound that great, but I like the sound of the Columbia ones a lot.

CBackley likes this.
  2. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

That explains a lot--thanks, great information! :thumbsup:

Just checked my copies. A stamped 1B 1A deadwax "Anxious Frank" was earmarked as best, well ahead of some later issues. So the later ones have a different mix? I also have a -1H -1F orange tan with handwritten deadwax on both sides, and am guessing that would use the remix?

Compared to the 9 o'clock Capitol mono Close to You I was just spinning, Strings does not hold up so well sonically IMHO. Sad, since it's superb from a musical standpoint. There's a grainy quality throughout, and when the orchestra digs in, that curious distortion kicks in. I always thought the funny sound was a vinyl issue, not distortion from the master tape...Wow, the strings almost sound more like a Mellotron than the real deal.

CBackley likes this.
  3. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Interesting technical paper on NAB, IEC, and Ampex EQ at this link:

http://home.comcast.net/~mrltapes/equaliz.html

I had never heard of AEC until you guys mentioned it. Man, was that a bad idea! I can't believe the guys at Ampex didn't test this out enough, and the Capitol engineers were too stupid not to listen more carefully.

+15dB @ 1000Hz? Yikes... :shake:

McLover likes this.
  4. TLMusic

Spinning the "Anxious Frank" stereo vinyl...

Woah, I just heard that overload effect on the intro to "Stardust". As the orchestra swells, everything sags and then there's a fuzz tone when the cymbal crashes. It gets ugly. And this is on a clean vintage record that was still sealed up to a couple months ago.

joshm2286 likes this.
  5. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

I have one like your favorite copy, and it's what I always go back to as well. Actually, one side already transitioned to the "happy" Frank image on the label. I didn't get it sealed, but it's pristine. Ignoring quirks of the recording like those noted above, I think it's a nice sounding record. The strings have that United/Putnam sound of that time (like some of the Ray Charles recordings from around then, for instance), which is not entirely realistic, but I think has charm. Not like Golden Age Capitol, but what is?

The 1H is the remix. It's not bad, and seems to be what lots of people are familiar with now. It has more conventional echo vs. the touch of slap on Frank on the original stereo mix, but I prefer the sound of the old mix, which seems to lay the recording out more "bare" in a good way as it has a presence and directness that the second mix doesn't. I sometimes think they bathed the second mix with much more echo to sort of cover up/smooth over some of the faults of the recording. BTW - Compare "All Or Nothing At All" on the original stereo mix to the rest of the album - they didn't add any echo to Frank on that song.

CBackley likes this.
  6. TLMusic

^^^Good to know, thanks MMM.

It will be interesting to compare the two mixes. I guess the "remix" being used as the source makes the recent MFSL vinyl reissue less desirable (I have not heard it yet).

7. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

The thing is, I have no idea when that 'other' mix was made. For all I know, it could have been done around the same time, before, shortly after, etc. the mix I noted above on the older pressings, but then not used for years for whatever reason. The situation sort of reminds me of the change in mix used for the RING-A-DING DING! LPs...

I don't know that I would say the different mix makes the MoFi more/less desireable - that's up to which mix you prefer, if you have a preference. Who knows if what I call the first mix's original master even exists and/or is useable anymore?

8. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

9. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Matt, thanks. That's from a 1F/1D late-60's copy (though the lacquers were cut earlier). The iTunes clip I believe is from the remix done for the EOTC disc.

10. MLutthans

Was the four-disc "The Reprise Years" version a remix made just for that CD, or is it the 2nd LP mix?

Matt

CBackley likes this.
  11. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

That's the "2nd" mix. The original CD/20 CD set has that mix as well.

CBackley likes this.
  12. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

13. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Besides UK Decca engineers, too.

14. MLutthans

Does anybody know if the Stokowski "Scheherazade" on Decca was AME? It's really crunchy in spots.

McLover likes this.
  15. Perisphere

Perisphere Forum Resident

Quick graphic comparison....15 ips NAB:

[​IMG]

And 15 ips AME:

[​IMG]

16. rangerjohn

rangerjohn Forum Resident

Thanks for the samples, Matt.

The remix certainly seems "dull" in comparison to the original mix on Martin's columbia4reprise pressing.

A a real drag because most of us only have access to the former..... :(

17. MLutthans

I just listened for the first time to a 1C mono pressing (pressed by Columbia, with the F prefix, not R -- I didn't know that I even owned this until I stumbled upon it in my garage tonight), and had very low expectations based on some comments I've read, but it struck me as pretty darned okay. Franks voice sounds pleasantly full-rangy, and seems to balance well with the orchestra. Certain orchestral sections are a little soupy, but I think that can be said for the stereo mix(es), too. There's that bit of Elvis-y echo on the voice, but it's a pretty small amount, and seems to just about disappear in a lot of the sections.

Anyhoo....I like it....as far as this album's mix options go. (And I ain't heard 'em all, by a long shot.) Now, I just need to find one that was owned by somebody that didn't use a two pound elliptical stylus on their Ford Philco console.

aoxomoxoa likes this.
  18. rangerjohn

My go-to version of this album is a vinyl rip of the "smiling," F-1004 A, mono LP. It sounds quite nice.

As for the stereo version, I alternate between the Suitcase and the EOTC versions.

19. MLutthans

I don't have a go-to version because I've literally never listened to this album. I've got mono and stereo LPs of it in my "Sinatra Stash," but last night was the first time I ever actually plopped one onto the turntable. (That's the cue for Paulmock to jump in and chastise me for being a such a "Capitol guy!" ;-) )

Matt

CBackley likes this.
  20. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Not really...we all have our favorite FS periods. And I find that they can change from time to time. Thank God The Man left us with such a huge catalogue (sound critiques aside) to continually peruse as we get thru life!

CBackley and Bob Belvedere like this.
  21. MLutthans

Amen, my SoCal brother! The nice part about skipping about 2/3rds of the FS catalog is that I have some great, great music still waiting to be enjoyed. :)

Matt

McLover and Bob Belvedere like this.
  22. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

What did you think of it, content wise/musically? I think side one in particular is one of the very best sides he ever did.

McLover and CBackley like this.
  23. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

I completely agree.

24. rangerjohn

:righton:

Just glorious. Staggering, historic, sublime.

As are "Spring" and "Yesterdays" on side two.

25. MLutthans

Yeah, I'm on board. I'll be lugging a CD along in the car for the next few days, no doubt.

Matt