Sinatra / Reprise Sound Quality: "Sinatra and Strings" (rec. 1961) - incl. NAB/AME EQ, etc.*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by aoxomoxoa, Mar 15, 2012.

Tags:
  1. rangerjohn

rangerjohn Forum Resident

By the way, regarding the "recent" stereo releases of S&S, does anyone have strong preferences regarding:

the Suitcase CD versus the EOTC CD versus the MoFi vinyl?

Just curious.

2. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky Thread Starter

The EOTC is not that good. I havent really played the suitcase track much but my guess is they are better. The MOFI is very good, and I would say the best in my collection. It smooths over the rough edges nicely.

3. rangerjohn

rangerjohn Forum Resident

Thanks aoxo! John

4. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

It is confirmed that Decca used AME in 1962 sessions. Have no idea when they would be back to NAB.

McLover likes this.
  5. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

I was just cleaning my R-1004 and noticed something different in the dead wax. You'll notice the top photo has the usual writing. But the bottom photo shows that at the top of the dead wax the letters "REP" are written at a 90 degree angle. I have checked all my early R and R9 copies and it appears on this copy only.

Thoughts????

Attached Files:

6. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Did DECCA UK use NAB rather than CCIR*?

[*Comité Consultatif International des Radiocommunications]

:)

7. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

I've got some LPs with that REP thing in there, too. As to why it's on some and not on others, I haven't a clue. (EDIT: Maybe cut for Reprise by Ami Hadani?????? Maybe that's his little "signature?")

Matt

8. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

What caught my eye is the way the letters are directed...vertically????

Ok. Thanks for the info.

9. MLutthans

I picked up a really clean, very early 1B/1A FS-1004 (as opposed to R9-1004) pressing of this today, and I'm just not used to that slapback echo on the voice for this album. In some spots it seems to work, in others....it sounds like Frank singing in a couch & draperies warehouse.

At least it's not soupy like in the suitcase, I guess. I think I may be able to warm up to this one. We'll see.

10. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

When I initially got my first copy of this album (same cuttings as the one you just got), the slap echo turned me off, but I listened through! :) I still wish they used a different type of echo/reverb on Frank's voice in this mix (and also the mono), but I prefer this mix to the others. It's got the best "feel" to it for me, and in this mastering is very nice sounding album to my ears. My 1B/1A copy is also in beautiful shape, and is my favorite release of the album. I have two other Columbia mastered copies of this mix, and they're nice too.

BTW - In trying to solve which cuts have this mix, and which have the mix without the slap (but are more echoey), between my copies and Arkoffs', the last side one that has the "slap" mix (that I otherwise prefer) is an 1F. For side two, that mix went through at least the 1D. I haven't heard a 1E yet to confirm what mix is on that, but the mix changed on side two on the 1F.

For all I know, these mixes were done at the same time, and one sat in the box. I have no idea which of these two mixes was made first. However, re actual releases, the "slap" mix was even on the R9 A1/B2 copy I have...

11. MLutthans

Similar situation to the Ring-a-Ding Ding mixes. You'd think they would have learned from that one? Or maybe both mixes were changed/replaced around the same time???? (Seems unlikely, considering the chronology of the releases.)

12. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Yeah, except the "slap" version on RING-A-DING DING! was released second.

The mix wasn't changed out on SINATRA AND STRINGS from what I can tell until at least the later 60's. A friend has an early 70's copy that has both sides changed (1H/1H). I have late-60's copies that have the "slap" mix on both sides. I don't remember off-hand what era Arkoffs' copy is from that has the other mix. Even then, it doesn't mean lacquers weren't cut and put into production while the metalwork from the "slap" mix was still in use, though I haven't seen any evidence of it yet.

CBackley likes this.
  13. ledsox

ledsox Senior Member

Good info here. I need to find a nice pressing of this album. I noted recently that one of the session dates is the day I was born.

14. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Decca in the UK was most likely IEC all the way. Unless a recording was US originated, which would most likely be NAB. NAB EQ (National Association of Broadcasters or NARTB as it was called early on) was the US standard tape recording equalization curve. IEC or CCIR/DIN is the European standard for tape recording equalization. AME was Ampex Master Equalization which was a short lived curve. Steve's explanation of it is the best I have read:

15. MLutthans

Our internet pal aoxomoxoa, the OP for this thread, graciously allowed me to hijack his excellent thread for purposes of our next Sinatra sound comparison: Sinatra and Strings. (Thanks, Jim!)

I'm not going to have much time to be online over the next 10 days or so, so I thought this might be a good time for all the Sinatra nuts to gather up their versions of this LP, take care of any transfers from vinyl, etc., and prepare to start tackling this one later in the month.

I have:
    •Suitcase CD (same as the original stand-along disc? I think so, but would like to verify, if somebody knows)
    •1980s (?) Japanese stereo LP with two bonus tracks
    •R9-1004 A2/B11 stereo LP
    •FS-1004 1B/1A (Columbia pressing) stereo LP
    •F-1004 1C/1C (Columbia) mono LP
    •R-1004 A6/B6 mono LP

Also, MMM snail-mailed an LP to me for this comparison, but I don't have the deadwax info handy, so maybe he can chime in with that. (I've returned the LP to him.)

I think that's it.

How about "Come Rain or Come Shine" and "It Might as Well Be Spring?????"

If you have something from which you can share a clip, please let me know.

As always, THANK YOU! :)

Matt

CBackley, rangerjohn and aoxomoxoa like this.
  16. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

I'll have to dig it out tomorrow, Matt - it's not filed with the other copies I have when I looked quickly. It was a w7 label copy, I *think* 1F/1D though I'll verify when I find it.

I was able to verify, with the help of Bob (Arkoffs) that the 1F lacquer was the last side one that was cut from the 1st stereo mix released. He also put up part of a 1F side two, and that had the second released mix on it. 1D has the first mix issued, and I've never been able to verify a 1E.

I know someone with a 1H - I can see if he has it transferred and easily accessible, for a reference on what I'll call the "2nd mix" - the one also on the expanded Japanese LP from the 80's, the MoFi, the original CD, later Columbia mastered cuts, and (I'd guess) all later reissues (ones pressed by Capitol, etc.).

Now, I've been told by someone who should know that *both* of the stereo mixes noted above are old/vintage to the early 60's. I never got any date information, though the "2nd mix" supposedly wasn't something done many years later, even if it took many years for that mix to be used. Unless that information is faulty (I don't have much reason to believe it is), that's pretty interesting re this stuff.

Also, the EOTC CD is a remix made for it, from what I remember.

I have a really nice 1B/1A stereo copy - it's what I always return to.

CBackley and rangerjohn like this.
  17. MLutthans

Well, lucky me! I have that one, too! Haven't played it yet; will look forward to hearing it.

Lots of great/interesting info in that post, too, Martin. Thanks.

CBackley and MMM like this.
  18. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Mayhaps this should not be discussed here but I will throw it in for possible discussion purposes... The copies of the session tapes that have floated underground for all these decades once again show how really GOOD the original tapes were before getting mixed and mashed. IMHO, the tapes from this album have the finest sound of all the session recordings out there. Even better than RADD! Just sayin'....

CBackley and aoxomoxoa like this.
  19. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

Matt, I can provide a needle drop of the MFSL if you need that one.

20. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky Thread Starter

I have the ETOC if you need it. I will check the vinyl stash later but I think you have that covered.

21. MLutthans

I actually don't have either one. Shoot a PM my way, and we can make sure to get the right clips going. No rush. Thanks!

22. MLutthans

I have to raise my usual point of curiosity at this point: Are there any photos from these sessions?

23. MLutthans

Oo, boy....I've spot checked all five of my vinyl pressings today, just to get kind of a sneak peek at what waits around the corner, and all I can say is: What a sucky bunch of choices (to varying degrees), and the suitcase CD is no picnic, either. (I do suspect that the recording itself, as Paul Mock hinted, is just fine, but the mixes seem to include everything from soup [stereo remix] to nuts [original mixes]. I also won't be surprised if we wind up agreeing with Martin in the end that the original mixes, flawed as they are, may wind up being the way to go. We shall see, I guess.....)

24. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

With whatever flaws the first released stereo mix has, it also has the feel and a presence on Frank that really is more engaging to me than anything else. The original R9 copy I haven't isn't that well mastered, while the Columbia masterings of the mix I've heard are nicely done and sympathetic. Interesting how both the R9 cuts and the Columbia ones of the first mix are all cut kinda low, making it even more important to find a really nice copy of it.

25. MLutthans

Difference in vinyl quality (both mono and stereo) really seemed to lean in favor of the Columbia pressings. My stereo copy is pretty quiet, while the R9 seems to really be on bad vinyl, and not just because it's a well-played copy, but because it has multiple dimples/divots.

MMM likes this.