Sinatra's best sad songs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pinkrudy, Oct 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

At some point in this whole process, Nelson Riddle's mother passed away. That had a piece of the inclusion of Felix into the mix here, too.

2. Tina_UK

Tina_UK Forum Resident

As Frank states on the "Vegas (Live) Disc 1 " set - "Just One Of Those Things" is not always considered a "Sad" song, because it's usually sang a little more "Jazzy" but just listen to him sing it on this album....beautiful.

Although I always think the lyrics are pretty sad, however it is sang.

I'm glad I bumped the thread, interesting read.

3. rangerjohn

rangerjohn Forum Resident

To amplify your point, Tina, Nancy S. is on record as saying her dad thought "Just One of Those Things" was "one of the saddest songs ever written."

Even when he performed it up-tempo, he always conveyed the sense that the narrator was protesting too much, that he was, in fact, much more invested emotionally in this affair than he was willing to let on.

So yes, thanks again for reviving the thread! Unfortunately, it doesn't come up in searches for "sinatra," only for "sinatra's." :cry:

4. rangerjohn

rangerjohn Forum Resident

Unfortunately, it doesn't come up in searches for "sinatra," only for "sinatra's."

Apparently, it does, after all.

5. Tina_UK

Tina_UK Forum Resident

I found "Like A Sad Song" so moving today from The Complete Reprise Studio Recordings not sure if Frank ever sang it live or what other albums it can be found on, a pretty sad song I think.

6. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

He did sing it in concert for a short period after he worked with John Denver. I saw him peform it @ Westchester Premier Theatre the day before they went into the studio in NY to record it.

7. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

BTW, I never chimed in here on my favorite sad song by Mr. S...

"A Long Night"

...absolutely devastating!

JimSav likes this.
  8. JimSav

JimSav Well-Known Member

Just saw this thread and I'd like to echo those that selected No One Cares as containing some of the most desolate performances he ever gave. The fact that he seems so closely miked and has a faint raspiness just makes it more devastating and intimate.

Where Do You Go, A Cottage For Sale are deeply sad. But to me, None But The Lonely Heart, particularly the last minute or so, might be the darkest, most disturbing, soul-in-abject-misery moment of his entire career. Never fails to move me deeply.

bozburn likes this.
  9. frankfan1

frankfan1 Some days I feel like Balok

I have to add his rare ballad version of "Just One of Those Things," when you listen to the lyrics closely.....

bozburn likes this.
  10. Vincent Terranova

Vincent Terranova Active Member

Blues in the Night

11. Tingman

Tingman Forum Resident

I'm partial to
    One for My Baby from Sinatra at the Sands
    In the Wee Small Hours
    Softly, as I Leave You

12. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

I think Jenkins does very well on All Alone. Those particular songs called for the all-out orchestration.

13. aforchione

aforchione Forum Resident

This Was My Love...the Capitol version.

14. Remy

Remy Forum Resident

September In The Rain & I Wish I Were In Love Again (I prefer my sadness with a little bit of swing)

15. Tina_UK

Tina_UK Forum Resident

"The Saddest Thing Of All"

Lyrics from the heart.

JimSav likes this.
  16. stevepafford

stevepafford Well-Known Member

I Can't Get Started and the whole No One Cares album is hardly ever mentioned, not sure why, it's wonderfully sad. Just looking at the cover could bring on a bit of blubbering.

Point Of No Return is another fave

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  17. yarvelling

yarvelling Forum Resident

'A Cottage For Sale', and the wonderful, wistfully nostalgic 'It Was A Very Good Year'.
    Two of my favourites :)

18. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

I love the somewhat wacky lyric changes Frank sang in his version of I Can't Get Started ...... "designed the latest IBM brain"........ "am I no kick to you"
    only Sinatra
    ONLY SINATRA could sing it THIS way!!!! (All due respect to Bunny Berigan.)

Beautiful arrangement by Jenkins of course.

BTW the cover of No One Cares has to be one of the greatest record covers, all time!

19. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

From Both Sides Now
    Dream Away
    You and Me
    Let Me Try Again
    Cycles

20. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

@Bob F I will second your post (from a few years back).

WHERE ARE YOU has been my very favorite Sinatra album for the past few months. My personal fave is "There's No You", with Gordon painting the words: "I feel the autumn breeze" and "like a will o' the wisp". Listen to how Sinatra starts the 3rd verse. "In spring we'll meet again...." This is amazing. No one has ever sung like this before. I love this album so much I sent it a gift CD to my best friend in Hawaii and also to my mom -- they both loved it! Treated myself to the MOFI CD too!

"Maybe You'll Be There" (Dylan needs to record that one); "Where's Is the One"; "Autumn Leaves"; "I Cover the Waterfront"; this album is full of masterpieces! And I know it's a Nelson Riddle song not on the original, but "Don't Worry 'Bout Me" is another song that sounds as fresh and beautiful as they day it was recorded. Just check out what the saxes and horns are playing!!! (Note: Joni Mitchell covered this song, and she did it well -- but no one touches Frank's version, my opinion.)

Bob F likes this.
  21. bozburn

bozburn Forum Resident

:righton::righton::righton:

That entire album is a work of art. Along with In The Wee Small Hours, Only The Lonely and September of My Years, the LP cover is framed on my music room wall.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.