Since I've been around here...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Togo, Sep 30, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Togo

Togo Same as it ever was Thread Starter

Since joining this wonderful forum in March this year, my ears have been opened (together with my now very light wallet!) to the following wonderful CD's:

Gold DCC's

Bob Dylan "Highway 61"
    Beach Boys "Pet Sounds"
    The Doors "The Doors"
    Everly Brothers "Best"
    Elvis "24 Karat Hits" (just on its way...at last!!!!)

Aluminium DCC/MCA CD's

10CC "10CC/Sheet Music"
    Bing Crosby "Sings Again"
    The Who "Who's Next"
    The Who "Meaty Beaty Big and Bouncy"

Other Steve mastered work...

Pixies "The Pixies" rarities CD

MFSL's

Stevie Wonder "Innversions" (UD1)
    Police "Synchronicity" (UD1)
    Todd Rundgren "Something Anything" (UD2/GAIN system)
    Sonic Youth "Goo" (UD2/GAIN system)

Thanks Steve and everyone here...my ears have been well and truly opened to some fantastic and timeless music!

2. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

Since I started reading (and then participating on) the old DCC board and the journey to the present here, my whole experience with "music" has expanded beyond anything I could've imagined.

I remember when Steve started posting on the DCC Forum, he kept saying (paraphrasing) "We all have a great opportunity to learn something." Well, I have in volumes (still tons of space on my bookshelf too). Not only has my listening ability expanded but also my taste. There are so many different types of music/genres/eras/mixes/etc. that I never would have considered spinning if not for the wonderful conversations here.

On a technical point, I would never have been able to put together the wonderful playback system I have now (which is still evolving). Tubes (NOS Telefunken's, good lord), 8 ohm taps as opposed to 4 ohm, polarity, tonality, system tuning, etc. Simply amazing.

Also, I gearing up to start doing some original recordings again with some new material (almost bleeding out of my soul) and I can only guess what these new "sensibilities" will do for my art...

Todd

3. RDK

RDK Active Member

In the last year and a half or so since I found the early DCC forum, I too have bought my first tube amp and reevaluated my "remastered" CD purchases. I've also been persuaded to take the plunge into "audiophile" recordings - including gold CDs, something I always thought was a waste of money before! ;) It's funny, but just yesterday I was organizing a pile of CDs and counted my DCC gold discs. In the last year and a half I went from 1 to over two dozen of them! And even then I keep kicking myself for those that I passed by over the years.

Ray

4. krabapple

krabapple New Member

AIUI (based on what I read in ICE when the most recent reissue series was announced) Wonder has never allowed his original masters to be used for any CD pressings. Is this true for the Mofi?

5. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I've learned that newer CDs, although I knew they didn't always sound that great, really SUCK if the mastering engineer used a lot of limiting/compression to boost the volume.

I have a couple of The Right Stuff CDs where the noise floor was magnified greatly because of the ungodly amount of compression used. :realmad:

6. Togo

I also have learned so much since joining the forum...like you Todd, my knowledge and understanding is growing with each listen....all of you guys take some credit for that! :righton:

I also agree with Grant that it seems like so many modern recordings are just so compressed/no-noised it makes enjoyable listening nigh on impossible sometimes!

Fortunately, there are some darn good engineers out there that continue to fire the flame for great sounding music...hats off to Steve and like minded folk!:cool:

7. Togo

8. vinylrec

vinylrec Senior Member

it has caused me to spend lots of $$$ :)

9. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

I've learned that much of what I have has definitely the best sound.

10. Evan

Evan Senior Member

I have learned that tape hiss can be my friend! That and I need to take a typing class. I just can't keep up with ya'll.

I also have a lot more CDs and vinyl that Steve did (or recommended).
    :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.