Single edits that are better than album versions

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by sgraham, Sep 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sgraham

sgraham New Member Thread Starter

The "Light My Fire" thread begets this one. Are there other recordings that are better in their "45" edit than in their album version?

How about The Who's "Won't Get Fooled Again"? OK, maybe it's not actually better, but the single (which is stereo, btw) is masterfully edited and has drive that the long version lacks.

I also think the single edit of Donovan's "Sunshine Superman" works better than the album version, though I wouldn't mind a little more on the fade out.

(We could also discuss single edits that *murdered* the song, say "Sunshine Of your Love", which was given about one note's worth of solo, or "Jump Into the Fire" which simply lost the drum solo entirely. I won't even mention "Tubular Bells"...)

2. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Single edits/mixes that work better than the long versions:

Tell Me Something Good-Rufus

Ahhh! I'll think of many more when I get my mind in gear later tonight.

skiddlybop likes this.
  3. peterC

peterC Aussie Addict

Not an edit, but the single version of Call My Name by Them kills the album version.

4. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

I'd much rather listen to the single version of Edgar Winter's "Frankenstein" than the long version. Edits out all that tedious mucking about in the middle!

Timjosephuk, Jamey K and mooseman like this.
  5. Grant

I prefer the DJ edit of Wings "With A Little Luck"...

6. Roscoe

Roscoe Active Member

Gosh, there are tons of these. Unless you are a die-hard fan of a particular song, the 45 edits are often "tighter" and just the right amount of a good thing.

If we are talking just edits (not remixes), some that spring to mind immediately are:

Stevie Wonder: Living For The City (never liked that melodramatic middle section on the long version), Do I Do (geez, the LP version is something like 10 minutes)
    Herb Alpert: Rise (the LP version goes on and on and on...)
    Prince: Alphabet St
    George Michael: I Want Your Sex
    Diana Ross: Love Hangover
    Donna Summer: Love To Love You Baby
    Stars on 45 (well, a lot of people think this is garbage in either long or short form)
    Jacksons: Shake Your Body Down To The Ground
    Midnight Star: Freak A Zoid
    Lisa Lisa: I Wonder If I Take You Home
    Madonna: Live To Tell

Godbluffer, Slokes and warewolf95 like this.
  7. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

Did you know that the DJ edit of With A Little Luck was released commercially on a single in Poland?

Skywheel likes this.
  8. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Sugarloaf/Green Eyed Lady

9. mmerone

mmerone Senior Member

Blood, Sweat, & Tears come to mind. Go Down Gamblin'

10. DoctorDave

DoctorDave Senior Member

Steely Dan's "Do It Again" which edits out that awful keyboard solo and also shortens up the intro. It's really a very effective edit.

11. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Wild Cherry - Play That Funky Music....maybe.

12. Grant

ONLY if it is the CORRECT single edit! There's at least three of 'em floating around on both CD and vinyl 45s!

13. Kym

Kym Former Resident

I have a love/hate relationship with the single edit of Argent's "Hold Your Head Up."

pablo fanques likes this.
  14. Grant

Geeee! I like quite a few of these long versions! But, you should know that the single edit (actually the complete single) of "Love To Love You, Baby" IS on the last four minutes of the LP version. It starts around 12:56, or so.

15. Grant

Agreed.

I think the single edit of Chic's "Le Freak" is tighter than the long version.

To switch this around, I think the single edit of Leo Sayer's "You Make Me Feel Like Dancing" is awful. The whole flow and pace of the song is ruined. I also prefer the long version of "Dream Weaver" by Gary Wright.

16. Grant

I also prefer all of the single versions of the Three Dog Night singles.

Also, the single edit of "Magic Carpet Ride" sounds more like a hit to me.

CoachD, RonBaker and mooseman like this.
  17. Kym

Kym Former Resident

Agreed!

Question: where is the best-sounding version of the stereo single edit on CD? So far I think the one that appeared on the Jay And Silent Bob Strike Back soundtrack sounds the best, but it still sounds thin. I think the mono single version (which has completely different vocals, which I dislike) found on one of the Collector's Essentials CD sounds atrocious.

18. quentincollins

quentincollins Forum Word Nerd

Okay, so long as we can discuss the opposite, the biggest single edit offender I've heard is the single version of "25 or 6 to 4" by Chicago. It cuts out roughly two minutes of the song, including half of Terry Kath's guitar solo (the part where he uses the wah-wah). Editing any part of that song doesn't sit well with me, ESPECIALLY cutting out parts of the guitar solo :realmad:

19. Kym

Kym Former Resident

Strong single edits

Genesis, "Abacab" (which is marred by some tape glitch on the recent Turn On It Again compilation)
    Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers, "Don't Come Around Here No More"
    Michael Jackson, "Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough"
    Roger Hodgson, "Had A Dream (Sleeping With The Enemy)"
    Triumph, "Hold On"
    Isaac Hayes, "Don't Let Go"
    Wang Chung, "To Live And Die In L.A." and "Everybody Have Fun Tonight"
    Steve Winwood, "While You See A Chance"
    Jefferson Starship, "Runaway"
    Power Station, "Some Like It Hot"
    Jill Jones, "Mia Bocca"
    Ambrosia, "Biggest Part Of Me"
    The B-52's, "Rock Lobster" and "Love Shack"
    Cutting Crew, "I've Been In Love Before"
    Yaz, "Situation"
    Redbone, "Come And Get Your Love" (the intro's not my favorite)

Damn, there are SO many...

pablo fanques and warewolf95 like this.
  20. sgraham

sgraham New Member Thread Starter

Great record - but the Epic single that I have has that bizarre Haeco CSG "Compatible Stereo Groove" nonsense, which introduced weird phase shifts to make it "mono compatible". May sound good in mono, but it pulls your head apart in headphones!:shake:

21. Grant

Uh, know that the CORRECT single mix/edit of "Magic Carpet Ride" does not exist in stereo. In fact, the tape no longer exists! When it was presented on a Dick Bartley "On The Radio" CD it was mastered from a 45. The even worse news is that all 45 pressings I have and heard are noisy and distorted.

22. Grant

Re: Strong single edits

You should also know that the original Epic single is about the same as the LP. The timing on the 45 is wrong. The oldies radio station around here plays a DJ edit that doesn't sit well with me.

23. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

"No Time"-The Guess Who.

24. Kym

Kym Former Resident

Re: Re: Strong single edits

Well, the edit I was used to hearing on the radio cut off the spoken intro and started on the first "whoooo!", took out a verse near the middle, and had an early fade. Perhaps this was a DJ edit?

25. btomarra

btomarra Classic Rock Audiophile

Spinning Wheel by BS&T just because of the different middle section with the guitar. Different than the extended album version on BS&T ST.

I also like the single edit of Heard It Through the Grapevine by CCR. Should have been used on the CD version of Chronicle (They used the single edit of Suzie Q). Album version is readily available. Single edit is unavailable domestically on CD.

And speaking of Suzie Q by CCR, I think on the album edit, the last 3.30 of the song with the backing vocals drag on too long for me. I like the single edit better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.