Single source question for integrated amp and AV receiver

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Pramit Mitra, Sep 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pramit Mitra

Pramit Mitra Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Hello all,

I have a novice question: I am planning to buy an integrated amp to improve my stereo sound. I currently have a Oppo player (both for CDs and DVDs) connected to a Onkyo AV receiver. Once I have the amp, I plan to connect the Oppo player to both my amp (balanced connectors) and AV receiver (HDMI). The idea is that I will switch off the AV receiver when listening to a CD and engage the HT bypass feature (on the amp) when watching a movie.

Do you gentlemen foresee any issues with this setup, i.e., will there be any loss of quality or any signal issues with the stereo sound (while playing a CD) since the Oppo is connected via HDMI to the AV receiver? In other words, can an integrated amp and an AV receiver be hooked to the same source?

Thanks very much in advance.

William K likes this.
  2. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Which Onkyo receiver do you have?

3. deadcoldfish

deadcoldfish Senior Member

Yes, this will work, and there shouldn't be any loss of quality for the analog outs, but you may need to address any ground loop issues, depending on what else is connected to the AV receiver.

4. Pramit Mitra

I have the Onkyo tx nr808. Does that make a difference? Thanks.

5. Brother_Rael

I have, I think, it's successor, the 818. I think you might need to jump some to improve on it. I use mine for stereo and movie duties and it delivers a very refined, musical sound. As good as the stereo predecessors I've used. I'd assume (perhaps wrongly) that the 808 might be pretty similar.

6. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

Sorry I don't get this, where are the speakers plugged in?? or do you have more than 5 speakers

7. Pramit Mitra

The L/R speakers will be connected to the integrated amp, while the AV receiver will driver the center and rear speakers. Basically, I am introducing an integrated amp to improve the stereo sound (making use of the bypass feature available these days), while maintaining the AV for playing movies. Something similar to what was discussed in this thread: http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/ht-bypass.135426/

My question had to do with having the same source (Oppo player) connected to both the AV and amp and any possible issues (loss of quality, unwanted noise etc.) while playing a CD (or DVD).

Hope this makes sense. Thanks.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2014
  8. Pramit Mitra

From what I have read, the 818 is definitely an improvement on the 808. I, do, however, feel that an AV receiver (no matter how high-end) will never match an audiophile-quality stereo amp since it can never supply the required power to a pair of demanding speakers. In my mind, the AV receiver is like a Swiss Army knife - able to do a lot of things, but not able to master any particular task very well. Of course, I am speaking without having the opportunity to listen to a truly audiophile stereo rig and compare the same sound to that from a high-end AV receiver.

My two cents!

9. Pramit Mitra

T
    Thanks!

10. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

This is exactly how I have my older Oppo BDP-83 hooked up in my system with an AVR and an integrated amp with HT Bypass:

Overall system diagram
    http://erikt.cts.com/Pictures/hometheater/HT-Bypass-Diagram-1.jpg

For 2-channel listening thru the integrated
    http://erikt.cts.com/Pictures/hometheater/HT-Bypass-Diagram-2chnlmode.jpg

For movies thru the AVR (and the integrated operates as an external amp only)
    http://erikt.cts.com/Pictures/hometheater/HT-Bypass-Diagram-HTmode.jpg

11. Pramit Mitra

V
    Very helpful indeed! Thanks so much. I am assuming you haven't encountered any issues while using the Oppo player?

Also, would you care to comment on the quality of stereo sound (listening to a CD, for instance), while playing through the AV receiver versus the integrated amp? Is there a big difference? I do understand that your AV receiver and amp are different brands than in my proposed setup (Onkyo and Mckintosh), not to mention the speakers.... But I ask because that is the only reason behind my desire to bring in a high-quality integrated amp into the mix and it will be quite an investment in a single piece of hardware.

12. Brother_Rael

I use my amp in a 2-channel setup. The 818 delivers over 130wpc and currently drives a pair of 83db Pioneer S71Bs, so tricky loads are no issue. Compared to other high quality amps that I've used, this one doesn't sit in the shade of any of them. I gave up on the perceived wisdoms around hifi a few years ago and never looked back. If the stereo capability of the Onkyos I've had didn't cut it (I used to have the TX8050 before this), then I'd still be using a stereo integrated. What impresses me about Onkyo is their commitment to music sound quality as their ranges develop over time. Very encouraging for potential buyers I think.

The other integrateds I've used, incidentally, were HK990, Exposure 3010s, Sansui AU-717, Sansui AU-217, HK6850, Leema Pulse....you get the gist. Amps from £200 up to £1500.

anodyne likes this.
  13. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

I ran my system like this for awhile. Works great and exactly what the HT bypass is there for.

14. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

In my listening comparisons, I have always preferred the integrated amp vs the AVR for 2-channel musical playback...hands down.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.