Sixties British working-class films.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ghostworld, Jun 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Haven't we all . ;)

2. alexpop

Watched Straw Dogs the other night. Hopefully not a Coen brothers remake, perfect as it is.

Ghostworld and blutiga like this.
  3. alexpop

Robert Redford was going to star in this, but pulled out.

4. alexpop

That's been over a year now you said the same thing in 2017, not much of a gumshoe. :D

5. alexpop

The Family Way ( Pau McCartney soundtrack )
    Working class drama/romance.

6. Graham

Graham Senior Member

1971, has working class characters though.

7. MortSahlFan

MortSahlFan Forum Resident

Many favorites of mine have already been mentioned, but my very favorite is "Loneliness of a Long Distance Runner".

As well as many movies by
    Ken Loach
    Mike Leigh

8. Graham

Graham Senior Member

And it’s already been remade. As usual, apparently it was complete bollocks.

alexpop likes this.
  9. alexpop

Country setting gives it a sixties vibe.

10. alexpop

Bleak Moments (1971)was Mike Leigh's first film.

MortSahlFan likes this.
  11. alexpop

Doesn't sound like that in real life.

12. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Have to admit that I think there's only a fine line between between some of the early Carry Ons and some of Mike Leigh's work - same lovable working class families and the godawful middle class ones.

I love Saturday Night Sunday Morning, Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner, Room at the Top, Billy Liar and Taste of Honey. Of Loach's films, I prefer Sweet Sixteen, Hidden Agenda, Kes, Angel's Share, My Name is Joe, The Wind That Shakes the Barley (granted, not really the same kind of film), Land of Freedom (ditto), Riff-Raff and I, Daniel Blake, apart from the bloody awful acting of the male lead. Paddy Considine's Tyrannosaur is also good, but you get to the point with some of these films where you just tick off the generic tropes. Andrea Arnold's Fish Tank is another I quite like. I kinda draw the line at This is England, as I would imagine, anyone who'd been on the receiving end of a beating from skinhead thugs in the 70s.

It's interesting the way the 'angry young man' films have been praised for their revolutionary approach whereas in reality, the films reflect elements of Italian Neo-Realism, French New Wave and the American cinema (often crime movies) of the 50s with their use of actual locations and jazz-inflected soundtracks. What they did do was to put working class characters front and centre, where in the past, they had largely been seen in supporting roles or in crime films or as comedy relief.

Ghostworld, MortSahlFan and alexpop like this.
  13. alexpop

Seen- A For Andromeda(1961) -the other day not really working class but stars Julie Christie.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
  14. MortSahlFan

I love the Italian neo-realism.. The thing I liked most about "I, Daniel Blake" was that it was the first good movie to critique the problems with modern-life.

alexpop likes this.
  15. jjhunsecker

jjhunsecker Senior Member

I watched "The Entertainer" on FilmStruck last week. I thought it was Mike Leigh before Mike Leigh

16. jjhunsecker

jjhunsecker Senior Member

Everybody's mentioning Susan George (and rightfully so !)
    But nobody's mentioned Judy Geeson !!! Oooh la la ...

Ghostworld, blutiga and rediffusion like this.
  17. alexpop

Yeah he was a actor first.

18. alexpop

Here we go...... :D

19. alexpop

Contemporary working class /kitchen sink? Can't get anymore realistic than
    Fish Tank.

20. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

I'd say it's one person's view of a 'realistic' portrayal of working class life to make a more interesting movie rather than a realistic portrayal. The notion that all working class families have lives like this doesn't tie in with my own experience, though I'm not denying there are those with similar issues. I do think there is a left-leaning middle class critical view in the UK which gets off on that kind of view of working class life. My left-leaning view is that it reinforces the prejudices of the thoughtless. I suspect that when Daniel Blake was released part of the moronic criticism of it (in the UK) had to do with the fact he was a nice guy who gave a damn and those critics (I don't want to get into politics here, but if you're not sure, look it up) don't like to own up to the fact that there are way more people like Blake out there and they don't get a fair deal.

21. MortSahlFan

"Fish Tank" sounds interesting, I'll try to watch it soon. I like movies about isolation, they tend to be good.

22. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

It was. I picked up a BD of the remake from Poundland a few months ago. That’s about all it’s worth.

Graham likes this.
  23. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

There's an obscure little caper film called Calculated Risk (1963) that kinda sorta fits the Kitchen Sink mold, in that all the characters are working class petty criminals. One of the things I like about it is its ear for dialogue, which feels genuine, and the acting is also effectively naturalistic. The only reason I know about this movie is because George Martin wrote the music (his second film score) and in doing research in London a few years back I went to the British Film Institute to watch a 35mm print on a moviola. I expected it to be awful but turned out it's pretty good. Available to watch on Fandor now, apparently.

24. Robert Thomas

Robert Thomas Baron Cello

The Family Way must be one of the most underrated films ever made, Marjorie Rhodes and John Mills are brilliantly funny as Hwyel Bennett's parents.

alexpop likes this.
  25. alexpop

Been meaning to get the blu ray.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.