Slayer (RIB, SOH, SINA)-Best SQ LP & CD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by I333I, Oct 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I333I

I333I Forum Resident Thread Starter

Currently in major Slayer mode. Is there a consensus on SQ for the "classic 3"? LP and CD, please.

Clanceman likes this.
  2. ebro

ebro The Green Manalishi

Get the original Cd's for those albums, the remasters sound muddled. Vinyl wise, I have the recent reissue of RIB and while it's the best I've heard it, I was underwhelmed by the volume, wish it was mastered just a bit louder :disgust:

3. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

The original cd's sound amazing, especially South Of Heaven and Seasons In The Abyss.

4. heepsterandrey

heepsterandrey Forum Resident

Is there a remaster of Seasons In The Abyss on CD? The one I see in stores everywhere looks like it could be an original mastering but I don't know.

5. TEKWRX

TEKWRX Am I Demon?

I have a recent pressing of South of Heaven (the one with 500 randomly inserted red vinyl, and I got a red!) and it's probably one of the best sounding metal records I own. My early Metal Blade pressing of Show No Mercy sounds pretty great too

6. JustVinyl

JustVinyl Forum Resident

Yes there is a remaster on CD (2007) and from memory it is not obvious from the packaging.

7. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

It was remastered in 2002 (or sometime around 2002) and then reissued in 2007 because the record label switched distribution from Universal to Warner. They are the same remasters just with different distribution.

With that said the remasters sound horrible. The 24 bit versions are a newer remaster and don't sound as bad ;however, they are not much of an improvement. Get the original version if at all possible.

The one in stores is probably the remaster. There are no obvious markings stating otherwise. They were done in the same fashion as the 95 Metallica remasters by not making it obvious.

8. heepsterandrey

heepsterandrey Forum Resident

Looking on eBay I notice original Seasons CDs don't have the parental guidance logo, I'll go by that.

eric777 likes this.
  9. sathvyre

sathvyre formerly known as ABBAmaniac

Adam Moore likes this.
  10. sathvyre

11. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

"Liking" that you're in major Slayer mode. Good mode.

Spirit Crusher, sathvyre and I333I like this.
  12. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Anyone know if the Decade Of Aggression CD available in stores is remastered as well? Or same as the 1991 release?

13. SgtD666

SgtD666 Well-Known Member

Well I have just went through a major vinyl haul of much of the Slayer catalog. Of the older ones, I only own originals of RIB in addition to the 2013 remasters. I have found that the 2013 remasters are very solid alternatives to expensive good condition originals.

I own both EU and UK originals of RIB and the UK sounds the best on London records.

I had the 2008 Metal Blade reissue of Hell Awaits but I wasn't crazy bout it. I recently picked up both 2016 Metal Blade remasters of Show No Mercy and Hell Awaits with original artwork and packaging. I find these to be of excellent quality.

I think it's always safe to say that original anything in good condition at a fair price would always be worth picking up. There are some reissue/remasters that are sometimes a good alternative and I think Slayer fans have some good options available. This isn't always the case with certain catalogs.

14. dbsea

dbsea Forum Resident

I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to comment in case anyone runs across it via a search. I have both an original pressing and the 2013 reissue of Reign in Blood. They both sound good, but the reissue doesn't have the awesome locked groove of crashing thunder after the last song Raining Blood. It is just the perfect way to finish the album and demonstrates a cool technique that can be used with music on vinyl records versus CD or other formats.

heepsterandrey likes this.
  15. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

I`m pretty sure that was remastered when they switched from Def American to just American.The original had the black colored spine & later were white.The metal case and 1st Japanese are the same non remastered and have two extra songs.
    ….On a separate note,
    I`m guessing the rest of the Hammersmith 1988 concert was recorded by the BBC being a couple weeks before Metallica was taped for TV.Since the full Metallica audio came out on the Justice deluxe,it would be cool to hear the full Slayer show if it does exist,awesome setlist.The 3 songs/interview BBC show is on Youtube.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2019
    Brenald79 likes this.
  16. LazyHammer

LazyHammer Well-Known Member

Hey, do you know if the EU 1st issues of RIB (UK, Germany...) also have the locked groove? Thanks!

17. LazyHammer

LazyHammer Well-Known Member

Does RIB also sound best on the UK London Records? I want to pick up that one because of the cover!! Looks awesome without any text.

18. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

They're more or less the same levels as the 1991 original release, according to Dynamic Range Database of Decade of Aggression here: Album list - Dynamic Range Database

I own the American double CD on a thick jewel case during the late 90s (my first Slayer album I ever purchased, by the way!) and got the original UK double LP late last year. I should do a shootout of the audio one of these days.

My original Canadian LP has the locked groove as well. Sounds great, too.

Brenald79 likes this.
  19. sathvyre

Old german pressing has it.

LazyHammer likes this.
  20. Creekman

Creekman Active Member

I have just picked up this (Slayer - Seasons In The Abyss ), having got rid of my original CD after buying the very disappointing hi-res remaster. I was hoping it was a non-remastered reissue but it sounds even worse than the hi-res version. War Ensemble distorts so badly it's unlistenable.

Have I just bought a reissue of the remaster? There's nothing on the CD to suggest one way or another.

21. JOnny Cox

JOnny Cox Forum Resident

Received today Decade of Aggression double lp record from Back to Black. It’s a very good sounding press on nice thick vinyl. However, they’ve split Mandatory Suicide and Angel of Death (AOD being on side 3)!
    Totally ruins the flow, love the end chord of Mandatory Suicide into Toms huge “Angel of Death” scream. Unforgivable.

22. topekatj

topekatj Forum Resident

Not meaning to threadcrap....

Can anyone comment on the sound quality of the various CD versions of Decade of Aggression, specifically, are the DR values worse for the 2002 version Vs. the 1991/94 version? The usually dependable DR Loudness site does not have data for the 2002. Mucho thanks!

Album list - Dynamic Range Database

23. topekatj

topekatj Forum Resident

24. topekatj

topekatj Forum Resident

I’m ‘onna quote myself here. The SoH disc I received from Music Magpies (great condition) is the UK/Made in W. Germany version shown below, sounds *Amazing*, highest DR version listed in the DR database. Lombardo’s drumming is pulverizing!

Slayer – South Of Heaven (1988, CD)

Album details - Dynamic Range Database

Music Magpies has a few copies of the same barcode version of SoH available at the same price I paid —- grab now or be sorry.

Also, Just ordered a UK version of SinA, there’s currently 1 copy left

Slayer : Seasons in the abyss CD Value Guaranteed from eBay’s biggest seller! | eBay

Lastly, a Discog-er confirmed that the DR for later versions of ‘Decade’ is the same as earlier versions.

Good times for Slaytanic Wehrmachters (like me)!

Last edited: Jul 15, 2021
    Soundslave likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.