Sleater-Kinney is back! (New album)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bRETT, Oct 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Yes, people who try to injure you really love you - keep telling yourself that! :laugh:

Getting up close is great... but I'm just too damned old and lazy. I have an iffy back, so the longer I stand, the more it hurts.

I was totally fine being at the back of the floor at the 9:30. I was still what, 100 feet from the stage? And I got to avoid standing around for hours.

Cool that you got so close - glad you enjoyed it! :righton:

2. PearlJamNoCode

PearlJamNoCode Forum Resident

Philly was great. I love that venue, and I couldn't believe how good they sounded. Looking forward for whatever comes next.

3. I was in Phili too! Indeed I went because I KNEW (see my posts above) that Phili would be the better time. the band was even giggly during that show. (And I shook Brownstein's hand.) :cheers:

4. Wow. We must've been standing side-by-side.

5. Mlle. Aurora likes this.
  6. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

I was in the third row Corin side at the Philly show..Amazing experience seeing them together again. Janet is seriously one of the best drummers in rock.

DLant likes this.
  7. BeardedSteven

BeardedSteven Forum Resident

Took me 2 days to get home from Pittsburgh(don't ask...) but I finally made it. I'd very much call it the best of the 3 nights I saw them. Yeah Corin had a little voice trouble but certainly nothing that ruined my enjoyment of the show. Right before they came out a guy brought out hot tea for her and Carrie. The people around me were laughing. Very rock n roll! Haha. But she definitely drank it during the show. That was a long string of dates without a day off.

The line was the longest I've seen before the doors opened and I was not anywhere near the front of it. But people just scattered inside and I went right up and was 2nd row in front of Corin. Very nice to be that close. When she was writhing around on the floor during Gimme Love in her little dress I saw more of her I had ever wanted... o_O

I'm happy that there were songs played at each of the 3 shows not played at the others. Sympathy in Milwaukee, Joey Ramone and Good Things in Chicago, and Let's Call it Love (!) in Pittsburgh. I said it before, but I do think the Woods songs were where they really shined. Nothing against the new songs or anything. Maybe just hearing them without the SQ of the album. But I liked them the best. I'm still holding out for Turn it On (still my fave song of theirs) when I see them at the end of April. Then I will be very happy!

cublowell and DLant like this.
  8. BeardedSteven

BeardedSteven Forum Resident

In Pittsburgh they very much seemed to be enjoying themselves too. I don't know if they were giggly, but definitely smiling amongst themselves a lot. Was nice to see them having fun up there. Janet even told a joke! :)

9. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member Thread Starter

Note that when they do "Joey Ramone" nowadays, the Thurston Moore line gets changed to "I wanna be your Kim Gor-don." I can guess what prompted that.

BeardedSteven likes this.
  10. Wonder why it was never this in the first place.

11. DLant

DLant The Upstate Gort Staff

Hey kids.

Sleater-Kinney will be performing on Austin City Limits in April. Here's the LINK.

12. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

Thanks for the tip. I never saw Austin City Limits till the Nick Cave episode and that was fantastic. I got a real feel for how the Seeds have morphed into Warren Ellis's band now, rather than Mick Harvey's. Nick gave a particularly commanding performance that night as well and the new songs sounded great, but even better, they kept reaching back for really old songs like Tupelo and breathing new life into them. I don't typically like televised concerts but they did a really good job with that one. I look forward to the S-K episode!

DLant likes this.
  13. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

Thanks. Hopefully someone will remind us a day or two before.

DLant likes this.
  14. Vinylbob

Vinylbob Forum Resident

Philadelphia show:

15. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

I can see the back of my head in this whole video :yikes:
    It gives you an idea of how great Union Transfer was with no barrier in front of the stage.

16. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

17. Justin L.

Justin L. Member

Kind of off topic...I really have a hard time with Corin Tucker's voice. I think SK has made many great songs. I used to hate Geddy Lee's voice and then sort of learned to overlook it. I'm almost there with SK because, like I said, they have so many great songs.

Regardless of my opinion on Tucker's voice, I respect them for the length of their career and because they still sound energized and creative.

18. Holerbot6000

For me, Corin's voice is a big part of the appeal, along with those sprawling guitars. I think Corin and Kerry's vocal interaction kinda mirrors their guitar interplay.

It was a bit of a revelation to hear Corin's solo albums because she doesn't do the Sleater-Kinney voice very much there.

BeardedSteven and Justin L. like this.
  19. bRETT

It struck me especially on this tour that Corin is nearly always playing bass. Yes, it's a six-string through pedals, but she does some great bass parts-- then she can drive home a power chord when they need an extra one.

20. manicpopthrill

manicpopthrill Forum Resident

I can certainly see how her voice could be a stumbling block since she was obviously influenced by Poly Styrene of X-Ray Spex. I was used to Poly's voice well before S-K was formed, so it was cool to see a continuation of that style.

Here's the template for Corin Tucker....

Justin L. likes this.
  21. Holerbot6000

That's really interesting. I knew they had a fourth player but I assumed she played bass so that Corin and Carrie could wield their axes.

22. bRETT

From what I could tell, the fourth woman did mainly rhythm gtr and keyboards.

Hutch and PearlJamNoCode like this.
  23. Justin L.

Justin L. Member

Interesting. You learn something new every day around here. :)

24. Justin L.

Justin L. Member

Yeah, that's cool. I do like their interplay. It's just that when Corin does the high-pitched vibrato yell thing that she does, it's pretty shrill to my ears. It doesn't mean I won't learn to appreciate it more though. (It's weird how, over time, I've come to like music I used to dislike and vice versa.)

Anyway, I'll check out her solo stuff as well.

25. bRETT

You'll probably like the solo stuff. It's generally a lot prettier than S-K without the yells, especially the first album.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.