Sleater-Kinney: remastered catalog, Start Together vinyl box set to be released

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by couchdave, Sep 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Okonrad

Okonrad Forum Resident

I'm going to pull out The Woods tonight and see if it's as bad sounding as you all say. Love this band and honestly, as good as their subsequent projects have been, nothing they have done since has been as aesthetically good or as important as Sleater Kinney was. Incredible high quality music from record to record, amazing live act and absolutely pivotal in moving women out of the indie rock ghetto of being relegated to playing bass in the boyfriend's band.

2. canine sapien

canine sapien Active Member

Yep, same. I think it's great.

3. PearlJamNoCode

PearlJamNoCode Forum Resident

Well the box set is sold out on Sub Pop's website, exactly one day after I decide to purchase it, place it in my cart, and think "I'm tired... I'll order it tomorrow." Lesson learned: DO NOT PROCRASTINATE WITH PURCHASING LIMITED EDITIONS.

I placed an order through Amazon, so hopefully that will come through.

4. serge

serge Forum Resident

I don't get it. We already have all this stuff, right?

5. canine sapien

Yeah but haven't some of the LPs been quite hard to get hold of for some time? IIRC a lot of copies of The Woods were destroyed in the London riots a few years back, and I know that some of the earlier albums are pretty difficult to find... I have some friends that love these albums but just can't afford to shell out for the eBay/Discogs prices.

6. PearlJamNoCode

All of this is true, and these re-issues have been remastered by Greg Calbi.

Quote from Greg:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/n...reer-spanning-start-together-box-set-20140902

7. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

"The Woods" sounds exactly like they wanted it to sound. It's the producer's signature sound. It's not a bad mastering or anything of the like. Yeah, maybe they could have done it differently but then it wouldn't fit with the music the way that it does and it would not be "The Woods".

8. canine sapien

So Carrie posted a picture on her instagram of 7 coloured vinyl discs, saying that was all of them. So I guess The Woods will be 1xLP?

9. PearlJamNoCode

10. Laibach

Laibach Forum Resident

"REM's Peter Buck says Sleater-Kinney 'changed what rock'n'roll could be'"
    "The riot grrrl group will reissue their back-catalogue next week"

"Artists including Spoon, Eleanor Friedberger and Peter Buck of REM have spoken about their love for Sleater-Kinney prior to the band's back-catalogue getting reissued in boxset form later this month".

Carrie Brownstein, Janet Weiss and Corin Tucker put the outfit on hold eight years back to focus on side-projects like Wild Flag and Quasi. Now, the likes of Spoon, Eleanor Friedberger and Los Campesinos! have described to NME what the band mean to them.

Speaking to NME in the brand new issue, which is available now on newsstands and digitally, Spoon's Britt Daniel called the trio "a force to be reckoned with", while Los Campesinos!'s Gareth Paisey said they were "a band with the rare legacy of having never taken a misstep".

Meanwhile, REM's Peter Buck said the group "changed your perception of what rock'n'roll could be", adding: "Were they kindred spirits to REM? Absolutely. They were politically oriented without being real preachy… They were noisy, uncommercial, wilful".
    http://www.nme.com/news/sleater-kinney/80411#OEPu0E5s2pe3HlzV.99

11. jonnyhambone

jonnyhambone Forum Resident

these are beautiful...it's gonna be a very pretty box on the shelf. I don't have any if their albums so I ordered without hesitation. Can't wait.

JoeRockhead likes this.
  12. couchdave

couchdave Founding member of Mystik Spiral Thread Starter

So it looks like there's a little surprise in the vinyl box: the 7-inch single contains a BRAND NEW SONG and the label contains the inscription "1/20/15" which certainly suggests something more to come next year. Apparently, using the Shazam app on the song brings up cover art for a new album entitled "No Cities to Love."

[​IMG]

Brief preview of the new song and album artwork available here:

http://consequenceofsound.net/2014/...w-song-in-nine-years-bury-our-friends-listen/

Last edited: Oct 18, 2014
  13. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Is there a way to tell by the packaging if you have the coloured set or the black vinyl one?

14. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

From what I can see on their website the box set is coloured vinyl, the individual LP releases are black.

15. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

Does anyone know where they were pressed?

16. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I believe they are re-pressing the entire box on black vinyl, because the limited colored vinyl edition is already sold out.

17. For once, I did not hesitate and I ordered this when I saw it online. I'll have it Tuesday hopefully.

Hope they make buckets of $ from their reunion.

18. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I was under the impression that Corin Tucker, Peter Buck, Krist Novoselic and others had formed a super-group (in the alternative rock world, anyway) called Super-Earth, and that they have recorded an album.

I wonder if Tucker is planning to be in both bands at the same time, assuming that Sleater-Kinney is in fact re-uniting.

19. Okonrad

Okonrad Forum Resident

I have all the originals but I am really looking forward to getting this box set. Saw is band 2 or 3 times in Richmond and DC and their shows were always amazing. Three very bad ass musicians.

20. canine sapien

New album up for pre-order at Sub Pop plus 2015 live dates!

JoeRockhead and aseriesofsneaks like this.
  21. jrmitchell72

jrmitchell72 Good at bad decisions

[​IMG]

Alright, I just opened my box and my 7" label is signed.

22. canine sapien

It's signed?! I can't see it.

23. ianbrown21

ianbrown21 Forum Resident

Would love to hear some overall reviews. I only have The Woods so I am very interested in this.

24. jrmitchell72

jrmitchell72 Good at bad decisions

My previous post was a reply, here is my 7".

[​IMG]

serge likes this.
  25. capn

capn Forum Resident

the sticker on the front of the coloured vinyl edition states "color vinyl".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.